Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
34,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes Midpen, we know you read our forum.

Please open the Toyon trails of Fremont Older.

They are bone dry and have been this way for the last couple of weeks. It is pathetic that they have been closed for the last 10+ days when trail and weather conditions have been absolutely perfect. Everyone is squeezed into the one open Sevens Springs loop trail. It would be criminal not to open these trails up for the coming months!

Yes, I'll email you guys as well. I suggest everyone do the same.

------------
http://www.openspace.org/preserves/trail_conditions.asp
Fremont Older - Oct. 30 2009
The two southern sections of the Toyon Trail, which are subject to seasonal closure, are now CLOSED to bikes and horses due to recent rain.
-----------

·
Ancient Chinese Secret
1,038 Posts
smittylube said:
now there is a tree in the way on seven springs!

Steve
Dude, it's just another obstacle to ride over!

They always close Toyon at the first hint of rain and only re-open it when it is dry concrete/dust bowl.

·
Mtbr Founder
34,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uggh, I hiked the Parker Ranch Connector trail which is at the very end of the park by Toyon trail. This trail has just been created and it is a gorgeous trail. It is remote, curvy, up and down wide singletrack. It is open to hikers and horses (temporarily closed to horses for the season) but it is closed to cyclists forever.

Why is that? Actually I know why since I've been to a couple Saratoga Council meetings. But I just wanted to bring attention to it. The whole Parker Ranch Trail system is a travesty. It is beautiful and very low traffic and it is open to hikers and horses only. I've never really seen any trail users there.

It is nice outside today btw.

fc

·
Mtbr Founder
34,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are quick on the response. That's good.

-------------------
Dear Francis,

Thank you for contacting us regarding the trail closure at Fremont Older. Your message has been forwarded on to the Superintendent of the Foothills Field Office.

Best regards,

Teresa Gibson
Public Affairs Administrative Assistant
Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District
330 Distel Circle, Los Altos, CA 94022
Ph. (650) 691-1200 / Fax (650) 691-0485
www.openspace.org
----- Original Message -----

·
Two Tired
396 Posts
Trails open?

I did a quick ride through there tonight. At least the middle section is open. The farthest section is probably open, but I didn't have time to go out there.

·
Mtbr Founder
34,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The closer Toyon trail is open but the farther section is still closed. More letters please. They need to know that they just can't close that section off for the whole season.

What they really want to do is close off those sections to the horses that tear it all up.

Btw, so many sections of the park like Bay View trail are so badly eroded with huge holes even. They have very little clue about proper trail drainage. It would have been so easy to prevent.

Finally, I just noticed that the new Parker Ranch trails are not Midpen property. That's pretty good.

http://openspace.org/preserves/maps/pr_fremont.pdf

fc

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
francois said:
They are quick on the response. That's good.

-------------------
Dear Francis,

Thank you for contacting us regarding the trail closure at Fremont Older. Your message has been forwarded on to the Superintendent of the Foothills Field Office.

Best regards,

Teresa Gibson
Public Affairs Administrative Assistant
Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District
330 Distel Circle, Los Altos, CA 94022
Ph. (650) 691-1200 / Fax (650) 691-0485
www.openspace.org
----- Original Message -----

well it's good to see that this organization has an admin assistant for public affairs...that's like having an admin assistant to assist the assistant...

·
Mtbr Founder
34,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dking said:
Anyone been out to FO since last week? Is the tree still down on the Seven Springs loop?
There's no tree blocking Seven Springs right now.

Lower Toyon is still closed. I think these pirates have no intention of opening it.

fc

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Downed trees are all cleaned up.
Last section of Toyon is still closed to bikes, mostly because the new trail alignment needs to settle first, but maybe also because it has quite a deep rut after October's storm.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Super dry, powdery loose on top of hard pack. not quite as bad as August. Pray for rain.

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
francois said:
There's no tree blocking Seven Springs right now.

Lower Toyon is still closed. I think these pirates have no intention of opening it.

fc
Sounds like the MTB community should work a deal with Midpen for a win win situation. Maybe the mountain bikers could promise Midpen that the next time there is a good rainy period they would get about 25 riders together to go in and ride the trail to pack it in. Then if there is a long dry period forecasted, Midpen could leave the trail open until the next major rainy period.

This would help get the trail packed in and create great PR which is surely a Midpen objective.

·
Mtbr Founder
34,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ha, They opened Upper Toyon today. That is pretty awesome since this is very uncharactersitic in January.

I did spend half an hour talking to Midpen rangers Jeff and Mike the other day. They are really cool and they said I'm 'preaching to the choir' when I talk about better bike access for us.

One of their challenges is when they open the trail to us, they have to be confident that it can take the abuse from a horse too. It's pretty obvious that horses are a lot harsher to a soft trail than bikes. But as it stands, opening it up seasonally to bikes means opening it up to horses too. Maybe that will change with the recent policies at Skeggs.

fc

Attachments

·
Mtbr Founder
34,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Stripes said:
Jeff is one of the coolest rangers I've ever met. He's one of the most understanding of the mtb situation here in the Bay Area and what we have to deal with.
Jeff says he reads mtbr a bit to better understand how other states are giving cyclists better access. He's the one in my night ride photo writing me a ticket :) .

Mike rides his bike a lot and races cross.

fc

·
Aussie Bob
375 Posts
Toyon Open !

Was doing a trail patrol this afternoon with my friend Bruce and while at the top of Maisie's Peak Ranger Jeff rolled up on his bike said he just rode Toyon and opened it up, its premo ! We did 2 loops before heading for home. The trails will be even better as the week goes on supposed to be dry all week :thumbsup:

·
Life is strange
1,991 Posts
hmm, I wonder if I can make it up there, through a loop and down the backside after work tomorrow...

I think an hour and a half on a zoomy 'cross bike can cut it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts