Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Twin Six METAL
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I own a 2003 Specialized S-Works Epic. Today on a ride I caught a stick in the rear end and broke the derailleur hanger, wich in turn snapped the cage on my derailleur (x.o) and cracked one of the mounts on the rear triangle for the derailleur hanger. My question is, what can be done about the cracked/broken mount for the derailleur hanger?

SWP

·
Registered
6 Posts
sworkspilot said:
Okay, I own a 2003 Specialized S-Works Epic. Today on a ride I caught a stick in the rear end and broke the derailleur hanger, wich in turn snapped the cage on my derailleur (x.o) and cracked one of the mounts on the rear triangle for the derailleur hanger. My question is, what can be done about the cracked/broken mount for the derailleur hanger?

SWP
I've had this exact same thing happen to me twice. I carry an extra hangar with me on rides for this reason. A little twig can do some serious damage huh? I no longer pedal through brush anymore.

The bummer here is that you have damaged the frame on your bike. I had some minor damage, but it didn't break anything on the frame on my bike. It's possible that you could get that crack welded, but you'll have an ugly looking weld there and it may cause you other problems (warpage). I have to agree with the other answer, you're probably in for a new rear section on that bike.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Do you really want to know?

It is time for a new dropout/stay. Call Specialized and ask about a crash replacement.Be honest about what happened, and be nice. You never know what will come of it.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
not covered.

ickyickyptngzutboing said:
Use Specialized's wicked warranty... At least, I would try that... (I don't konw too much on the parameters of the warranty though)

On paper, the warranty does not cover a crash like this. Specialized may hook him up with a crash replacement, or at least a break on the pricing. It is hard to tell.

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
Use Specialized's wicked warranty... At least, I would try that... (I don't konw too much on the parameters of the warranty though)

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
If warrantly does not cover you, nothing wrong with getting a qualified welder to repair it. An unsightly weld repair is not going to affect your riding. I have had previous damage to a hanger mount repaired with good success.

·
ride hard take risks
25,422 Posts
damion said:
On paper, the warranty does not cover a crash like this. Specialized may hook him up with a crash replacement, or at least a break on the pricing. It is hard to tell.
Read the words that damion has spelled out 2 times for you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You're probably OK

I beleive the Epic uses the same hanger as my '05 Rockhopper. Did you just break part of the lower bolt hole? (common problem) I bought my frame with that mount broken (Specialized "scratch & dent" special - 35 bucks for an "05 frame including a new hanger). Those 2 little screws only hold the hanger on when the wheel is removed, the axle really holds it in place. I have over 1500 hard miles on mine with no problems at all. There is a thread on this over on the Specialized board, some have gotten it warrantied(also a protector/reinforcement you can add).
Good Luck,
Kevin

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
minus the heat treating, right?

All Mountain said:
If warrantly does not cover you, nothing wrong with getting a qualified welder to repair it. An unsightly weld repair is not going to affect your riding. I have had previous damage to a hanger mount repaired with good success.

I am not sure that I would repair an AL frame without access to a heat treatment facility, but that is just me.

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
Get one of thees

It is made by Specialized and solves the problem of their defective hanger mounts. By the way I do know of at least three people who have had that covered by warrenty give it a try.

If you can't find one these hanger gaurds in your area send me a PM I will give the name and number of a guy at a shop who can send you one. For some reason alot of shop guys won't even pick up the phone to see if they can get one they just tell you they don't exist and that is a lie. I have one on my girlfriend stumjumper and I can say that without a doubt it has saved her frame more than once I highly recomend them.

Attachments

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
Kind of defeats the purpose of having a replaceable hanger? If a stick gets in there its going to not toast your deraileur but will destroy some spokes and possible take the rim too. I'll stick with the ol condom approach, prevent the sticks from getting in to do the damage, good luck!

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
I don't mind getting dirty I just hate cleaning the bike after every ride, chain stays clean enough to use wet lubes without worries, not to mention saving getting junk into all those pivots, hate cleaning them ;)

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
No damage to spokes

Brown_Teeth said:
Kind of defeats the purpose of having a replaceable hanger? If a stick gets in there its going to not toast your deraileur but will destroy some spokes and possible take the rim too. I'll stick with the ol condom approach, prevent the sticks from getting in to do the damage, good luck!
I have had lots of stuff get wedged in there and no damage has occuered to the spokes or derailier. Also the shield you have fastend will not protect against impacts from the bike falling on the drive side the hanger gaurd will and has worked flawlessly. I think that something like this is overkill on most bikes but Specialized has a defective hanger mount that almost allways ruins the frame when it gets hit with any signifigant force. No offense but that shield thing looks a little getto I would not want it on my rig.

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
Yup ghetto solutions not pretty but its works for me, added benefit the bottom of it works as a anti chain suck/slap device. Oh well time to ride!

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
sworkspilot said:

SWP
Specialized = lifetime warranty on the frame. Use it. New seatstay/dropouts will be neccesary.

·
ride hard take risks
25,422 Posts
Brown_Teeth said:
Should of been running the ol' derailleur saver, I plow though deadfall now with no worries
Dank, i get alot of pin holes from my flats, but that can shave the hairs right off you leg. Rear fender, guess it keeps the brown racing stripe off the shorts.

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
ummm

Johnny Hair Boy said:
It is made by Specialized and solves the problem of their defective hanger mounts. By the way I do know of at least three people who have had that covered by warrenty give it a try.
Is this the Specialized motto: Make shitty parts that break, then sell an extra piece that will correct the problem? I mean, WTF?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts