Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, if you don't have any der hanger issues then don't bother reading this, but I'm trying to see if there is any interest in a beefier Highline(esque) hanger setup that will fit any of the Turner bikes except the DHR, and of course the Highline which has it's own. Essentially a much stronger der hanger that can still be replaced if broken.

Several things to consider, you will need a 10mm hub for the design, and of course the der itself will obviously be more vulnerable cause it will take the load of impact, but, considering the popularity of der hanger guards and the fact that the Highline was designed with one there must be some interest here, I know I would run one on both my bikes. It will also be more expensive due to the axle included but the price should be around the same as 3 regular hangers, which some of us easily go thru in a year.

Turner would do this if he can get *enough* interest, and if you start shredding der's left and right then you can easily go back to regular hangers.

I would do a poll but don't know how, sorry, just give a yes/no/or your comments would be good. Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Well i've allready got a Hadley on my bike with a 10mm thru bolt so i'm game!

PS we here at Go-Ride are working on stainless steel hangers for Turner and Yeti bikes that will still be re bendable if they get damaged but should be pretty strong. The stock Turner ones are kinda brittle (they crack) and the Yeti ones are crazy soft (they bend when you lay the bike over)
Later

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wohoo! there's 3 sold, uhh, a lot more to go, SS hanger sounds like a great idea, the more options the better.

Here's a pic of the HL der hanger, that sucker is trick.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I am a derailleur assasin.

On my Spot, I have a 10mm thru axle thru my I9 hub, and it is equipped with a NSB hanger banger. Now, in my 8 months of ownership I have yet to bend the hanger. I don't attribute that to the hanger banger, but simply due to the lack of rocky/harsh terrain in my hood. This is not to say that I wouldn't jump at the chance for a better setup, since dangling a $200 derailleur out there never inspires confidence. So I'm guessing your design is a beefy hanger that bolts up to the axle? Most derailleur damage comes from below, so it doesn't really matter where you bolt it. With this in mind, do you really want a tougher hanger so the weakest link becomes the more expensive derailleur? Not so sure.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Guys, I'm not trying to be mr. negativity here, but the function of a derailleur hanger is to be the point of failure, so that your frame doesn't get chunked out. Stronger than stock hangers may be nice, but you might reconsider the idea making them out of something other than aluminum. Start making them out of steel or Ti, and your derailleur. or your frame is going to be the point of failure. Just a thought from a guy who machines metal all day.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I will have two please :)

rroeder, thanks that would be great.

I have an old style 6000 Alu hanger saved for special occasions where the loss of the hanger could finish a race.(the BETD ones are just a touch too soft)
I don't mind things bending so much as long as they try to hang in there, and I can bend them back, but to snap is no good for me.
I want to be able to keep on riding/finish and sort out the damage later.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Yeah that's why i am working on a steel one that still can bend but won't crack and possibly leave you stranded.
Kris, right, I'm getting you. What I'm trying to get across is that a steel one mat be too strong in a fore/aft orientation, and that you could potentially chunk out the frame itself if the impact was in that direction. I believe you are refering to side to side bending, are you not?

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A few clarifications-

DB- this is not my design, Turner would do these and they would be the same as the HL design I would assume, but with a 10mm axle and modified to fit the other Turner frames. The der taking the impact is a concern, but no different than using a hanger guard like your using, or what the HL owners are dealing with.

ebxtreme- I'm aware of the aftermarket hanger guards, this would be another option that would be a little more expensive yes, but also more solid I would imagine and certainly a cool setup. One concern I have on the hanger guards is how much of the axle is threaded into the nut once you install the guard? With my Hadleys on my Turner, the axle is only halfway into the nut, with a guard installed it would be even less, what happens upon impact? Would it shear the nut off the threads? I'm definitely interested to hear more input about these guards, if they take the impacts well, and if the der itself is holding up since the hanger is not moving.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Well i've allready got a Hadley on my bike with a 10mm thru bolt so i'm game!

PS we here at Go-Ride are working on stainless steel hangers for Turner and Yeti bikes that will still be re bendable if they get damaged but should be pretty strong. The stock Turner ones are kinda brittle (they crack) and the Yeti ones are crazy soft (they bend when you lay the bike over)
Later
Krispy,

please post up on the Yeti board when you have the SS Yeti hangers ready.

Cheers,
Cris

·
Trampelpfadbenutzer
692 Posts
I would be interessted in both versions,since I'm running a DT Hub I can easy swap the axle to 10mm.I could switch to DT's 10mm RWS too if it ever will be buyable...hmmm...:rolleyes:
Count me in!

Later
RaD

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
This is good timing - I broke a hanger on my third ride on the new RFX last week and broke three on my Spot in six months - Bollox just broke one on his Burner Sunday and crackedframe has been through two on his new Spot. I never broke one on my Stumpjumper (or a derailleur) and NEVER have I seen anyone on a bike other than a Turner break one....and I attribute it to a flaw in the design of the hangers. To be honest it is very frustrating. I loook forward to seeing what develops on this board.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
This thread has some views, including some pics I included of what I think is the design flaw in the Turner hangers. I've been good with them, but I do believe the harder 7000 series hangers are more prone to failure, rather than bending due to the sharp corner that has very little material to reinforce it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
risk

As Dusty and Reny have pointed out, the hanger is a fuse and beefing up the hanger will increase the risk to the derailer. Some riders have issues with hitting things. Others go a long long time before breaking a hanger, and it never happens just riding along. In the photo that El Ching posted notice the hanger is still intact, this super hanger that RR is pushing for would still be sitting there in the same shot. I think we figured that the wheel and the derailer had over lapped from either spoke flex and derailer flop or both and that was that. The hanger did not do it's job, but El Ching sure did! The 6061 were too soft. they bent too easily, you complained I changed it. The 7075 is stiffer but in some cases it does snap. I snapped one last year in a crash, 10 minutes later my bike was shifting perfectly with a hanger from my pack and my XO derailer was perfect, untill... last fall when I got a nice stick in the spokes and it ripped the hanger off. It also snapped a chunk of one of the plastic cage parts out off the cage, but the lower pulley was held on by the other. a little more trail side work and I rode 3 more hours no problems. If the hanger would have been stronger I would have been done as I think the other cage plate would have snapped as well. If the hanger would have been stronger on the previously mentioned crash damage I would have probably been on a single speed as well.

If we make it the Highline type hanger will be almost indestructable, like the Highline and DHR. It will cost 70-90 dollars for the axle and new hanger and you will not be buying a new one if I can help it, I do see Shimano and SRAM over there in the sidelines with thier hands out though!! Name your poison.

Happy Trails

DT

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
EDIT: just saw DT's post

It would be nice to get more input from people using these hanger guards or Highline owners who have had some crashes/impacts to see how the der holds up. I don't think one of these hanger guards would even work with my Hadley 10mm hub though, the axle certainly does not appear long enough, could be wrong though.

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
rroeder said:
It would be nice to get more input from people using these hanger guards or Highline owners who have had some crashes/impacts to see how the der holds up.
okay. my HL setup has been flawless, and has/will never needed the DAG. I ride in a mine field of sticks (and airs :)) and have not suffered a rear deraileur failure, med. cage x9 btw.

How come no one has mentioned the axle mounted Saint?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.