Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
4,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....Lopez canyon, which adjoins PQ canyon, has once again tested positive for an unpleasant bug.

Remember...you saw it on emptybeer first! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Good Morning.

I have some news to share. County Vector Control performed the annual tick survey in our area. They found tularemia in Lopez Canyon again this year. There will likely be a news release tomorrow about it, but I wanted to let you all know before then. Information on tularemia can be found at this link: County of San Diego: Tularemia

The best ways to protect yourself and your animals are:
1. Stay on trail. Ticks hang off the ends of grasses and wait for a victim to walk by. We do our best to keep the trails trimmed back to reduce tick transfer opportunities. Designated trails have signs at their entrances. If there isn't a sign, it is not a designated maintained trail and you therefore increase your risk of exposure to vectors.
2. Use an insect repellant that contains deet.
3. Do a thorough tick check before getting into your car or house. Check seems of garments, under collars and in your hair.
If you notice a trail that is need of a trim, please feel free to let me know. We are currently working through the trails doing our seasonal trimming but we don't want to miss one. Spring is here and the weather is beautiful, so enjoy and be safe.

Gina Washington
Senior Park Ranger
City of San Diego
Park & Recreation Department
202 C. Street Fifth Floor MS 5D
San Diego, CA 92101
858.538.8066 PH
858.536.8334 FAX

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
Much faster on the draw. Thank you for posting.

Maybe ticks will be the new "IT" accessory this year?
I work right at the top of the trail that runs down into lopez. I run it during my lunch break sometimes. Last year when it got really overgrown I came out with 10-15 ticks on me. Lucky we have a shower at work. This year the grass isn't as high but you can still see the ticks sitting on the ends of the weeds with their arms out waiting to hitch on.

·
Banned
4,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I work right at the top of the trail that runs down into lopez. I run it during my lunch break sometimes. Last year when it got really overgrown I came out with 10-15 ticks on me. Lucky we have a shower at work. This year the grass isn't as high but you can still see the ticks sitting on the ends of the weeds with their arms out waiting to hitch on.
Your words paint a lovely picture!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.