Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my buddy went over to attitash on tuesday and started to get back into our summer dh riding schedule. But half way through the day i took a little tumble and my rear brake stopped working. No idea whats wrong, ive sent it back to hayes for them to take a look at it. But anyways i threw my camera in the car just incase somthen like this happend and i got some pretty nice pictures for only 1 run of taking them. Comments or anything would be nice.

Much larger size of the pictures can be found by clicking the pictures and then clicking the all sizes button above the picture

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not sure what a second curtain is? Just a slower shutter speed and flash.

Forgot this one, if you click through to the flickr page and get the larger size theres a lot of detail in the dirt kicked up, i think its cool lol

·
Registered
420 Posts
second curtain is when your flash fires at the end of the shutter cycle instead of the first. That way give things motion trails. I just started really getting into photography and look at great photos like yours and try to figure out what technique is being used.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh ok, well im not sure which it is. The shutter speed is still fairly quick. I usually use around a 1/40th a second shutter speed which is 0.025 seconds and i just move the camera with the rider. Sometimes it works great, others not at all. Im still gettin into to it to, i got my d70s last fall and just mess around with different things to see how they come out.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
lol i was up there on tuesday with two of my friends, we had the whole mountain to ourselves before noon until they opend up the alpine slides. i was in the shop when the tech was trying to fix your brake. my brake was effed up too (stupid pushed out pistons) hope ur brake problem gets worked out.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Jordansrealm said:
you dont need to use second curtain for that motion just set the shutter speed to maybe 1/60 and pan with the subject. it will keep him in focus and the background blurred. also be sure to use AI Servo focusing for moving subjects.
whoa what...was that in english. i got: you dont need to use something for that motion something something something it will keep him in focous and the background blurred something something

·
Registered
175 Posts
Fillmoe Slim asked if he was using the second curtain flash to make the background blur in the last image. He explained what that was in his post. I was just posting the easiest way to get your background to blur and your subject (rider) to stay in focus. Panning takes some practice but its the best way to get it right.

Example of panning below. This pic was taken at 1/80th F16 on Manual. To stop this truck and the background in focus at this speed would have had to be using a much faster shutter speed. By slowing down the speed and panning (moving your cam with the truck) you can keep just what you are panning with in focus if done right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.