Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Cultsters and others who had the world-famous Magura Cult site bookmarked.

I recently made major changes to my ISP and website so any links that you had to my stuff will be broken. I took the opportunity to re-vamp the Cult site (plus my old FAQ) and I gutted much of the filler material which was very dated.

The site wasn't getting as many visits as it did in the late '90s as Magura does a much better job of getting out its own information. Because of all this I had little motivation to update the info and keep the site current.

So the fun stuff (pics, poems etc) has gone and what's left is the meat & 'taters - mostly for their rim brakes for which I still get questions weekly. Your mcm numbers are still intact though!

At this time I got me a domain name too so bookmark this if you're so inclined.

See ya's.

·
Registered
68 Posts
was just about to post the message below then saw this post and realised i didn't need to. Keep the site going if you can Mike - helped me out!
-----------
I need to disconnect and then reconnect the hose for a rear marta - to switch the brake to a new frame. I won't need to cut the hose to size - as the new frame is the same as the old one.

Is there any chance at all of doing this without having to use a Magura Service Kit?

Any tips welcome.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rpt said:
was just about to post the message below then saw this post and realised i didn't need to. Keep the site going if you can Mike - helped me out!
I need to disconnect and then reconnect the hose for a rear marta - to switch the brake to a new frame. I won't need to cut the hose to size - as the new frame is the same as the old one.
Is there any chance at all of doing this without having to use a Magura Service Kit?
Any tips welcome.
Hi rpt. If the line is threaded through any guides you'll have to sever the olive off the end of the line to get the line out of the guides. If you do this, make sure you use a very sharp boxcutter and do a clean, square push cut down into a block of wood. Make sure that you or a helper holds the line rock-steady for if it flips up it will spray fluid and you're screwed as far as no-bleed is concerned.
Then push a new olive up the line, push the end of the line hard against its seat and hold it there. Slide the nut down pushing the olive onto its seat. Keep the line pushed against its seat the whole time while you tighten the nut. It's a "compression" fitting so don't go ape-s#it with the wrench.
If you've done it right you now have brakes. If not, it's bleed time.

I personally wouldn't do the job unless I had a bleed kit (Google "Murphy's Law") but normally it's a safe job.

The info for this is probably on my site; I don't remember!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Mike,

Used your site's info earlier to remove the rear - no problems with guides - just a taco on a flux to navigate. All went well as far as I can tell.

Have left the brake off my new new frame for now - need to build the rest of it - so can't say for sure yet if i 'got away with it'

If not then will just order up a bleed kit and ride the hardtail for another week or 2 whilst i sort things out.

On the bleed kit - I see there's a professional kit and a mini service kit available - but only the mini kit for sale here in the uk.

Is the mini up to the job - if I need to bleed the rear?

rpt

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rpt said:
On the bleed kit - I see there's a professional kit and a mini service kit available - but only the mini kit for sale here in the uk.
Is the mini up to the job - if I need to bleed the rear?
The pro kit is if you're bleeding Maggie brakes for a living. Yep the el-cheapo (ahemm!) kit is what you need.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Silly MCM tip - Shimano brake lines and fittings are interchangeable with Magura calipers.... so I found out one day when I realized I didn't have a proper replacement...

MCM-253

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
itsdoable said:
Silly MCM tip - Shimano brake lines and fittings are interchangeable with Magura calipers.... so I found out one day when I realized I didn't have a proper replacement...

MCM-253
Good to know!!!

Thanks for all the hard work Mike. A laurel and hardy Magooorah to you.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Great, MikeT!!!

Thanks for the tip... a while ago looking for some info you had online I noticed you had changed the location of the page, but was clueless about it.

You'll always be our spiritual leader and inspiration! :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.