Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Now Uploading
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Kirt Setsma asked me to post this for him:

It looks like we might finally get an oportunity for what we've been asking for, a public,
shuttle-able, directional, mtb only trail, made specifically for DH and
freeride mountain bikers.

Come to the Denver Spoke at 1715 E. Evans Ave, Friday night, April 8th, at 7:00PM to hear a report on the state of things with JeffCo Open Space from Dave Cohen. Dave is one of the mountain bike reps who is on the Trails Use Task Force for Open Space. He represents the interests of all mountain bikers who use JeffCo trails and activly works with other hiker and equestrian reps on the Task Force. The Trail Use Task Force in turn works with and provides recomendations to Open Space staff and the Open Space Advisory Comittee. This is part of the process by which new trails and new parks are added and developed in Jefferson County Open Space.

Also on the agenda will be the restructuring of the CDCC to give our user group a voice, and to assist in offering volunteer hours for construction and maintenance of these proposed JeffCo DH trails.

Sorry for the short notice. If MTBR were faster at approving my membership this would have been done a long time ago. Feel free to byob. Call Kent at 720.201.0837 if you need directions.

See you there.

Kent

I'll see you there too.

Dave

·
Now Uploading
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Todd,

snowskilz said:
Sorry i cant make it i will be in moab. Dave is your last name cohen?
Can someone please post a report after the meeting

Thanks
Yes. And I will.

Have fun in Moab!

Cheers,

Dave

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
yeah...I can't make it either, but Dave keep me informed, and we'll talk next week about all that shiznit. Maybe a ride and a few beers?

Kirk

·
Registered
770 Posts
Thank you dave.

Dave,
I rode with you a couple of years ago when you had your weekly night rides at GM. I haven't ridden with you sense but I've seen you around. First of all I would just like to say thanks for stepping up to the plate. You are indeed helping out our local trail system! And the same thing goes for anyone else out there who is attending these JCOS meetings and doing some volunteer work. I've been riding the trails in JCOS since 89 and it's seen it's ups and downs. But if you keep up this trail advocacy group aware and involved I think we are going to see some improvements.

Thanks,
Chris.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Wish I could be there, thanks for the info and please keep us posted.

CDCC? - I didn't realize that such a collective still existed. The only meeting that I ever heard of was the first one - remember, the one where I paid my membership dues and entered a drawing for a Fox Fork (that I never heard of again) - over at the flagship Bicycle Village? I'm not trying to be an @ss, just thinking that those wanting to see CDCC thrive might do well to throw discussion of some viable means of communicating events, etc... to its' members on the agenda. All the energy and good intentions in the world will not accomplish much without coordination.

Just my .02

·
Now Uploading
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
s1ngletrack said:
Wish I could be there, thanks for the info and please keep us posted.

CDCC? - I didn't realize that such a collective still existed. The only meeting that I ever heard of was the first one - remember, the one where I paid my membership dues and entered a drawing for a Fox Fork (that I never heard of again) - over at the flagship Bicycle Village? I'm not trying to be an @ss, just thinking that those wanting to see CDCC thrive might do well to throw discussion of some viable means of communicating events, etc... to its' members on the agenda. All the energy and good intentions in the world will not accomplish much without coordination.

Just my .02
Yes, agreed, coordination and communication are key. We are working together to make sure all of these concerns, and every other, are addressed and corrected. We have to bury the past and move forward into the future together, and that is where we are going.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
mtbdirteater said:
We have to bury the past and move forward into the future together, and that is where we are going.

Thanks,

Dave
That makes sense, I didn't mean to sound like I had hard feelings over my $10 membership, I'd just like to see things work out where the effort is concerned.

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
s1ngletrack said:
That makes sense, I didn't mean to sound like I had hard feelings over my $10 membership, I'd just like to see things work out where the effort is concerned.
How come we can't have a downhill & freeride trail for horses and hikers? This seems unfair to me....

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
You complain to much....they'll be allowed on the trails.

Baby strollers 10pts
Equestrian...err Horsey people: 30 pts, 100 pts if you can clean them off the horse w/o touching horsey.
Hiker: 8.6pts
Old hiker:5pts

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
ibmkidIII said:
You complain to much....they'll be allowed on the trails.

Baby strollers 10pts
Equestrian...err Horsey people: 30 pts, 100 pts if you can clean them off the horse w/o touching horsey.
Hiker: 8.6pts
Old hiker:5pts
How many points if you can gap to a horse from an existing obstacle on the trail, manual the horse's @ss (not talking about the rider here) and land cleanly off the other side?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
s1ngletrack said:
How many points if you can gap to a horse from an existing obstacle on the trail, manual the horse's @ss (not talking about the rider here) and land cleanly off the other side?
Josh, you would get none because you couldn't ever hope to have such incredible biking skills. The question is moot!

;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
mtbdirteater said:
....move forward into the future together, and that is where we are going.

Thanks,

Dave
To the future... here's a DH focus group meeting scheduled by TCS's Stewardship Committee. Spread the word and certainly, attend the meeting if you can.

HEY! Downhill Riders

Let's talk about building a Downhill Course in the Front Range

April 19 at 6:00pm

Attend a Downhill Focus Group Gathering.

It's your chance to give your opinion and what's important to build a "dream course" in the Front Range.

Hosted by The Pedal Pushers with Steve Shelp and TCS (Trail Conservation Services).

We're serious about building a course! This gathering is to bring more ideas and opinions into the planning.

Refreshments and treats too.

Located at The Pedal Pushers:

200 Quebec St., Building 300, Suite 109 (see mapquest link below)

TCS Stewardship Committee
Reven Swanson, [email protected]
303-322-4034
www.tcscolorado.org

The Pedal Pushers is located at 200 Quebec St., Building 300, Suite 109
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.ad...g+300+Suite+10G&city=Denver&state=CO&zipcode=

Steve Shelp & Jason Coble
303-365-2453
www.pedalpusherscyclery.com

Join US! More trails, More Fun, More Tricks!

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Just don't give anyone any money...

This was tried a while ago with the good old CDCC - aka "Let's take everyone's money and not do anything".

I'd love a DH trail too, but every year that passes (and every family that moves to the Front Range and ends up on the trails on the weekend) is another nail in the coffin. At this point, it's simply not going to happen. There are too many people here, and the trails are too popular/crowded.

Spend your time getting the resorts to build better trails. That means you need to spend the night up there, eat in the restaurants, and bring your friends. Money talks. DH trails will get built when there's a line at the lift at Keystone in the summer, and a day pass costs $50, just like wintertime.

-Walt

·
Now Uploading
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Walt said:
This was tried a while ago with the good old CDCC - aka "Let's take everyone's money and not do anything".

I'd love a DH trail too, but every year that passes (and every family that moves to the Front Range and ends up on the trails on the weekend) is another nail in the coffin. At this point, it's simply not going to happen. There are too many people here, and the trails are too popular/crowded.

-Walt
Actually, I've been discussing this and looking at maps with Open Space staff for the past couple of months. I'm a biker representative on the JeffCo Trail Use Task Force. We presented a dedicated use DH trail and/or park as a solution to speed differential and volume conflict issues which I work directly with them on. We are in agreement and the Open Space staff are actively working with us to review information and data. Myself and other Task Force reps had another meeting with the Open Space director and manager of parks services today, where it was discussed. They have read material such as the Bootleg Canyon article in the April 2005 MBA magazine. I have forwarded Brent Thomson's business plan to staff as an example to study. A local shop provided a half dozen magazine copies. Richard Cunningham offered to send more if needed. That is just one example, but it's a good one. A consideration at last month's OSAC meeting of the purchase of 14500 acre Douglas mountain for Open Space park development including downhill trails was considered, but ultimately proved not to be a suitable land parcel partially due to the access issues and north facing slopes. Access problems for all park users was the largest issue with that proposal, including insufficient (unpaved, no shoulder) road structure and vehicle traffic impact on the residential area. So we are actively looking at other land parcels for aquisition, including existing and adjacent park properties possibilities for construction of a new trail within. The Open Space director agrees that vehicle access for shuttles on such a dedicated use trail development is a necessity. We have already been through the initial material, logic and projected use concerns. If the project is a new park, it will contain multi-use and hiker trails as well. This is poposed partial solution for conflict issues at Apex in particular. This new development would divert downhillers from Apex to the new trails, which will be specifically developed for DH runs. It solves a problem and fills a need as the bicycle industry drives the technology and the activity evolves and progresses with the organized race circuit, which further pushes the need for a solution in the form of suitable trails for it. This has already (finally) been recognized by Open Space.

More as it develops, but it is not accurate to say this will never happen, it is happening now, and we must see this effort through to the finished park or trails.

That was one reason for the CDCC meeting tonight. The other was to address the past, including where your $10 is, and move on to the future in an organized maner. The timing was not correct two years ago, because the need and specific use was not understood. It is now. And it is time to fill the need while solving an older problem.

The meeting went well.

Cheers,

Dave

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.