Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 90 percent settled on going with a large Midnight blue 6.6... but if you all could do me a favor just for sizing confirmation. Still alot of folks my size ordering mediums too. I don't have any shops within 250 miles that.... well period.

I'd like to know the measurement from the middle of the BB to the top of the head tube on a medium and a large 6.6

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,284 Posts
KRob said:
I'm 90 percent settled on going with a large Midnight blue 6.6... but if you all could do me a favor just for sizing confirmation. Still alot of folks my size ordering mediums too. I don't have any shops within 250 miles that.... well period.

I'd like to know the measurement from the middle of the BB to the top of the head tube on a medium and a large 6.6

How tall are you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
Thats a rather unusual dimension request. But here you go.
Center of BB to top center of head tube"
Med 28"
Lg 28.25"

Based on your 5'11" and 32" I recommend a med. If you can be a lil bit patient, Competitive Cyclist will have 6.6 demos in a couple weeks that they ship anywhere in the US for $199, you can ride for a week.

Competitive Intense Demo program
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
n10'sGuy said:
Thats a rather unusual dimension request. But here you go.
Center of BB to top center of head tube"
Med 28"
Lg 28.25"

Based on your 5'11" and 32" I recommend a med. If you can be a lil bit patient, Competitive Cyclist will have 6.6 demos in a couple weeks that they ship anywhere in the US for $199, you can ride for a week.

Competitive Intense Demo program
Thanks. Yeah, I know that's not a normal dimension but another poster (.Danno.) mentioned that it's the measurement that most closely tells him how a bike will fit, especially when standing. After measuring three of my other bikes I figured it would give me one more thing to judge by.

Thanks for the link. I e-mailed Competive Cyclist yesterday on that demo program and will probably get the medium on the demo as I'd rather have a medium if it fits. I'm just afraid it's going to feel cramped by time I get a shorter, all-mountain/FR type stem on it.

Currently riding 23" Hammerhead 100x with a straight post, 120 stem which feels pretty good... maybe just a tad on the small side. FWIW, it measured 27.5" on the BB to Head tube dimension.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
KRob, I had a HH 100X 23, and thought it was the perfect fit, although I'm significantly shorter than you. When I moved to the 6.6 I went med with a very short stem for me, 100mm. I set it up a little taller than the HH and it feels fantastic. No issues with front end wander, climbs great with less squat than other 5" or 6" bikes I have tried. My bud set his up with a 120 stem, but I'm trying to get him to move shorter.
If your thinking of the Midnight blue Med that Charles and Beth have at HH, it looks incredible in person. They got the black in first, I was so ansy I had them build that one up for me and never thought to wait on other colors. Now that I've seen that Midnight blue I wish I had waited. I'll tempted to make some one a heck of a deal on a very slightly used med Black, and take the blue off their hands.

Later HoJo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HoJo said:
I'm significantly shorter than you. When I moved to the 6.6 I went med with a very short stem for me, 100mm.
How much shorter? It sounds like I'm between you and Charles in size (probably closer to Charles) and he said he wouldn't even consider a medium. I also want to go with a 90-100mm stem and don't want any setback on the seat post.

That midnight blue Charles has is calling to me. I stray every now and then on color when I see a Java, Blue Steel, or Gold Ti... but when I look at this pic of cc2's midnight blue 5.5 I come right around.
 

·
Just another FOC'er
Joined
·
2,222 Posts
Here are some of the BB to HT measurements from different bikes:

Small VPX - 26.8
Medium VPX - 27.8
Large VPX - 28.8

Medium 6-Pack - 27.8 (4" headtube)
Large 6-Pack - 28.8

Large 5-Spot - 29

Large 2001 Bullit - 27.5

I own a large 5-Spot, med 6-Pack and a large Bullit. I'm 5'11" 34" inseam and really like the 27.5" bikes for techo/jumps. For XC I like 28.5 to 29.

If/when I buy a VPX it would be a medium.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,599 Posts
This measurement, from the BB to the headtube, is really only relevant if the frame in question has some wacky seattube angle or similar oddball construction. Notice how close the measurements are on all of Danno's bikes as well as the med. 6.6? It's because most bikes with "normal" angles are built to a common spec. The Bullit being the exception because of traditionally short top tubes for a given size-they aren't XC bikes after all.

ps. I ride a med. 6.6 and I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam. It's perfect. I think a large would be too big for you-I know it would be for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
n10'sGuy said:
Med 28"
Lg 28.25"
Is that a typo or are the medium and large only a quarter inch different? That would seem odd given the 1 inch difference in tt measurement. Hmmm.

n10'sGuy said:
Based on your 5'11" and 32" I recommend a med.
Herein lies my dilemma. The guy from Competitive Cyclist recommended the large demo. :confused:

I guess I'll just have to demo one and see for myself. I'll bet that of the 10 or so people I've polled who have one or have ridden one, that are about my size, 5 would go large, 5 would go medium.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
KRob said:
Is that a typo or are the medium and large only a quarter inch different? That would seem odd given the 1 inch difference in tt measurement. Hmmm.

Herein lies my dilemma. The guy from Competitive Cyclist recommended the large demo. :confused:

I guess I'll just have to demo one and see for myself. I'll bet that of the 10 or so people I've polled who have one or have ridden one, that are about my size, 5 would go large, 5 would go medium.
Based on your height and Inseam (is 32" your pant inseam or is that from crotch to floor with no shoes?) You are in that happy land in between sizes. I am an inch shorter than you with an inch longer inseam and a medium with a 100mm stem fits like a glove. If you like a lot of bike under you and and don't mind sacrifing your stand over height, go witha large with a short stem. If you want to be able to throw your bike around and really stay on top of it, go with a medium. I have sold medium to guys up to 6' tall who are cpmletely stoked on their bikes. I'm takin a shot by saying that medium would be the best fit for you. Use the Wrench Science sizing system to be sure. Here's a link: Wrench Science Sizing System
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
Some more stats

Based on your height and Inseam (is 32" your pant inseam or is that from crotch to floor with no shoes?) You are in that happy land in between sizes. I am an inch shorter than you with an inch longer inseam and a medium with a 100mm stem fits like a glove. If you like a lot of bike under you and and don't mind sacrifing your stand over height, go witha large with a short stem. If you want to be able to throw your bike around and really stay on top of it, go with a medium. I have sold medium to guys up to 6' tall who are cpmletely stoked on their bikes. I'm takin a shot by saying that medium would be the best fit for you. Use the Wrench Science sizing system to be sure. Here's a link: Wrench Science Sizing System
Some more food for thought...

I am 5'11" w/ about 32 inseam and I just bought a medium 6.6. Running a Fox 36 w/ a 130mm stem and a straight Thomson post. I am going to try an offset seatpost because the bike feels a little cramped even with the seat pushed all the way back, I could live with it but just think that extra half inch might put it back in the sweet spot.

By way of background, previous frames were Uzzi DH and Uzzi SLX, - mediums w/ 130 stems and no need for offset seatpost (set in the forward seatmast position).
 

·
Just another FOC'er
Joined
·
2,222 Posts
Dogboy said:
This measurement, from the BB to the headtube, is really only relevant if the frame in question has some wacky seattube angle or similar oddball construction. Notice how close the measurements are on all of Danno's bikes as well as the med. 6.6? It's because most bikes with "normal" angles are built to a common spec. The Bullit being the exception because of traditionally short top tubes for a given size-they aren't XC bikes after all.

ps. I ride a med. 6.6 and I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam. It's perfect. I think a large would be too big for you-I know it would be for me.
Here are a few more that go along with the trend. My Bullit has a pretty slack ST, but still measure 24" for ETT making the front tri short.

Large VPFree - 28.75 (I think the medium is more like the Bullit)

Medium 7point7 - 27.8
Large 7point7 - 28.5
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
(is 32" your pant inseam or is that from crotch to floor with no shoes?)
Yeah, that was 32" pants inseam. My actual crotch to floor measurement for bike fitting purposes is more like 33-33.25".

Thanks for the link. I did the sizing system last night and it suggested a medium with 90mm stem. I artificially grew the numbers a bit to see how close I was to the border for needing a large and it still recommended the medium but suggested a longer (100mm) stem..... but then I grew them a bit more and it said "sorry, no bike frame matches those dimensions." Does that mean, "we don't have a Large in stock" or that a 6.6 won't fit a person who is 73" tall, 34" inseam, 26 inch reach?

Maybe I entered some strange number like 730" tall. I'll have to recheck that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Aaaaargh!

fourarm said:
Some more food for thought...

I am 5'11" w/ about 32 inseam and I just bought a medium 6.6. Running a Fox 36 w/ a 130mm stem and a straight Thomson post. I am going to try an offset seatpost because the bike feels a little cramped even with the seat pushed all the way back, ..
Wow. Obviously, not all 5'11" guys with 32" inseam are created equal. I would be sorely dissappointed if I got a medium and it fit like yours.

130 stem and set back post??? Something is whack with that. You must have freakishly long arms or something (not that there's anything wrong with that ;) ).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
KRob said:
Yeah, that was 32" pants inseam. My actual crotch to floor measurement for bike fitting purposes is more like 33-33.25".

Thanks for the link. I did the sizing system last night and it suggested a medium with 90mm stem. I artificially grew the numbers a bit to see how close I was to the border for needing a large and it still recommended the medium but suggested a longer (100mm) stem..... but then I grew them a bit more and it said "sorry, no bike frame matches those dimensions." Does that mean, "we don't have a Large in stock" or that a 6.6 won't fit a person who is 73" tall, 34" inseam, 26 inch reach?

Maybe I entered some strange number like 730" tall. I'll have to recheck that.
Yeah, I'm afraid that if you are 730" tall... you're going to have to go with a custom frame ;)
For the sake of answering questions, we do have large frames in stock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I'm afraid that if you are 730" tall... you're going to have to go with a custom frame ;)
For the sake of answering questions, we do have large frames in stock.
Ok... I tried it again and just grew all my key sizes (height, sternum notch, arm length, inseam) by one inch and it bumped me into a large with a 110mm stem...... but if I only grew the dimensions by .5" it kept me on the medium.

So maybe a medium would fit. Prolly still gonna have to ride one to know for sure.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top