Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
bumble
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching the forums for a couple of weeks now. I did not really get a good answer, but with so many variables I did not expect it. I do, however, have some more experience on my present tires and if my observations make sense, maybe I can get some recommendations to think about? I ride SOMO mostly (Javelina, Mormon, National), also T100, Hawes, McDowell Mts. I am 150 lbs, I ride a Iron Horse Hollowpoint MK 3 with DW-Link that I like. Recently wore out Weirwolf tires, 2.35. I am running Weirwolfs, new ones, 2.1 size, and I have them at F/R 25psi/29psi, tubes. Now I am washing out constantly, front tire squirms, took off some skin on a curve that I would never have fallen on before. I am riding more aggressively now, but not at all racing level. Is it the new Weirwolfs, or the size change that may be causing my problems? They do not feel at all secure any more like the old ones. I want uphill traction, I am not very concerned about speed, but my speed on Desert Classic and McDowell Mt is causing me to gain scars. I don't do real DH, but I do like the downhills on Mormon and National, but I don't drop more than 1-2'. Help??

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
I have been searching the forums for a couple of weeks now. I did not really get a good answer, but with so many variables I did not expect it. I do, however, have some more experience on my present tires and if my observations make sense, maybe I can get some recommendations to think about? I ride SOMO mostly (Javelina, Mormon, National), also T100, Hawes, McDowell Mts. I am 150 lbs, I ride a Iron Horse Hollowpoint MK 3 with DW-Link that I like. Recently wore out Weirwolf tires, 2.35. I am running Weirwolfs, new ones, 2.1 size, and I have them at F/R 25psi/29psi, tubes. Now I am washing out constantly, front tire squirms, took off some skin on a curve that I would never have fallen on before. I am riding more aggressively now, but not at all racing level. Is it the new Weirwolfs, or the size change that may be causing my problems? They do not feel at all secure any more like the old ones. I want uphill traction, I am not very concerned about speed, but my speed on Desert Classic and McDowell Mt is causing me to gain scars. I don't do real DH, but I do like the downhills on Mormon and National, but I don't drop more than 1-2'. Help??
Are you left handed, or right handed?

·
bumble
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds about right, tmarkos. I wonder if anyone has experience with the Geax tires, or Maxxis? Or should I just stick with larger Weirwofls? I think the larger Weirwolfs are pretty heavy, now.

·
bumble
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am ambidextrous, but I lean heavily toward right-handed.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Sounds about right, tmarkos. I wonder if anyone has experience with the Geax tires, or Maxxis? Or should I just stick with larger Weirwofls? I think the larger Weirwolfs are pretty heavy, now.
I've been riding maxxis for the last 10 years. No plan to change.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
I mostly ride the PMP area.

2.4 PURGATORY GRID UST up front.

2.3 ESKAR2 GRID UST out back.

Great combo for me. Weight more than you. Ride a Specy Enduro tubeless.

·
bumble
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tmarkos, which Maxxis? so many models!

·
bumble
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cycle64, thanks. The pattern here looks like mine go back and I get larger size.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 rear, Maxxis minion EXO front. I have yet to try a WTB or any other tire that stands up to the variety of our terrain (hawes ball bearings to SoMo chunk), as well as the Maxxis..

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Sounds like the issue is the width. Rim width plays a part in how the tire will profile from edge to edge. I would measure your rim width at the inside of the beads (preferable if the tires are off-but outside is doable too) and compare that along with what tire size and style others recommend.

Changing tire brand/tread pattern/volume/size etc also affects your suspenion settings too. You may want to play with that a little. I know it sounds hokey-but this is all taken from the motorcycle world where I learned a lot as a racing tire vendor a few years ago. Other factors to make your head spin is sidewall contruction/stiffness etc.

My choice on every XC up to 4 inch bike I have ridden thus far is Maxxis Larsen TT, Ignitors (on front only for me) and High Rollers (especially on my old 29'r). I weigh anywhere from 140-155 over the years, ride pretty quick and technical, but am a "floater" and not a "basher" allowing me to run a 2.1 in the front and 2.0 in the rear without pinching or tearing on tubeless setups. If you can't tell- I kind of geek out on bike setup! Great setup can make a great rider awesome and overcome many of a bike or riders other shortcomings.

·
bumble
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
supermoto,
So the minion EXO is more of an all-mountain than a DH? I have been looking at the Ignitor. What size up front?

·
bumble
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cstem,

Geeking out on setup is what I want. Thanks! See, that is what gets me. You like the Ignitor up front, supermoto likes it on the rear. (Don't go there :)). There are so many combos I could try, just not so much $$ to do it with!! I think I am more of a floater, but I also need a lot of work on getting better, too. More riding!! I will check out the Larsen, and the High Roller already has a great rep!!

·
Break it, Fix it, Ride it
1,940 Posts
Panaracer Rampage 2.3 up front always for me. I love that tire! Knobby and solid. You can hardly kill it doing XC. I can put about 1500 miles on one tire. For the rear, Exiwolf/Wolverine have been fine, but I also liked the GEAX Saguaro and Specialized Fast Track - they looked pretty similar, but wore much faster than the Rampage - probably only 800 miles or so. They climbed just fine for me. SoMo is my home mountain, and where I ride the most.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I think the larger Weirwolfs are pretty heavy, now.
I agree. But maybe that makes them safer?

Try a 2.5 Maxxis Minion DHF EXO (60A durometer) up front, and a 2.35 Maxxis High Roller I in back. Maxxis tires are skinny(except for the Ardent), so don't worry about those big numbers.

I've even seen recommendations to run two Minion DHF's. For where you ride, I would consider that. I'm in this camp:

tire size. 2.35 is as small as I would go for where you ride. I like 2.5's better.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
A 2.5 Maxxis is like a 2.3 Specialized. I have yet to find a Maxxis tire that is the actual size they claim.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Take all tire advice with a grain of salt. You have no idea if that person rides like you or has any idea what they're talking about. That said, I just started running Larsen 1.9 in the rear, switching over from Weirwolf 1.9. Been running Larsen 2.35 up front for a year, very good for me. For the record, the micrometer says the front is 2.29 and the rear is right around 1.80. So they are a little smaller than advertised. I ride a lot so I rarely pay over $30 for a tire. Buy some different ones on sale and try em out. Everyone I race motorcyles with loves Maxxis Desert IT's but I can't stand them on my bike. Don't know why, they just don't work for me. You never know til you try it for yourself.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Donrasti is right on there. Individual techinique is as big a factor as anything.

·
No Clue Crew
7,082 Posts
While it's true that tires are personal, I think you'll see a trend with riders on similar trails: Maxxis and/or Specialized. Personally, Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 Exo 3c on the front; either Ignitor LUST 2.35 or High Roller LUST 2.35 on the rear.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts