Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Basura Blanca
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my wife a custom headtube badge for her aluminum frame bike. I've been told it's not a good idea to attach such badges with screws on aluminum frames as it's too easy to strip. Is this a matter of just being careful and then using loctite? If I were to go with adhesive, I don't want to use something like JB Weld, as there may be some point in the future that we'd want to swap it over to a different (new) bike. I'm thinking silicone caulk might not be burly enough for a few years of trail riding. Any other suggestions? A friend suggested using aircraft style rivets (they sit flush and wouldn't be too noticable, but I've no diea where to souce them or if it'd take a special high-$$ tool to install. Thanks in advance for any ideas,
- Joe

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
There are many types of double-sided foam adhesive tapes that are ideal for attaching metal to metal, just check out your local hardware store. Do you get 3M products in the States? I wouldn't advise any kind of permanent bond, screws or rivets.
Peace,
Steve

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
My son made me a genuine nickel silver Santa Cruz headtube badge in high school a few years back. I attached it with a thin 2 sided tape that trophy manufacturers use. Works like a charm and is still firm as ever. If I ever wanted to get it off, I'd use a heat gun.

·
Basura Blanca
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Two votes for double-sided tape, eh? That'd sure be easy to use, but I'd just assumed it wouldn't hold over time. I'll see what 3M products are available and what 3M advises WRT application. If the local hardware store doesn't have it, I'm sure I can order it online. Thanks guys!
- Joe

lebikerboy said:
My son made me a genuine nickel silver Santa Cruz headtube badge in high school a few years back. I attached it with a thin 2 sided tape that trophy manufacturers use. Works like a charm and is still firm as ever. If I ever wanted to get it off, I'd use a heat gun.

·
Super Moderator
3,267 Posts
I bought some double sided tape at an auto store...It was 3M I think and made for auto stuff...
Not too cheap but it fastened my 60's era Impala logos to my fender ('96) but good. Like almost permanent.
It was the best

·
Basura Blanca
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now that'd make an awesome headtube badge if you could figure out how to wrap it. I've got a '65 Impala SS ragtop, but this time of year it sits neglected in the garage under a cover. One of the classic car logos of all time, IMO. OK, I'll get some 3M tape for when the frame gets back frmo the paint shop. Thanks all!
- Joe

CdaleTony said:
I bought some double sided tape at an auto store...It was 3M I think and made for auto stuff...
Not too cheap but it fastened my 60's era Impala logos to my fender ('96) but good. Like almost permanent.
It was the best

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.