Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ridden this trail? How is it? Full face helmet required? Seems like a lot of people shuttle it but can it be climbed ? Just looking for more general info on it since it doesn't seem to be talked about much.

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,926 Posts
Absolutely climbable. It is a great 12-16 mile up and back ride. Plenty of opportunity to make it as crazy as you want or not. A full face is not needed it you are riding up and back.

Mtb Bike Bill-Anderson Truck Trail

·
Registered
191 Posts
yes. excellent. no. yes.

To climb it, park under the bridge where Peutz Valley Rd. passes under the freeway. DO NOT leave anything valuable in your car! I've never had an issue but have heard stories...

First mile or so is on pavement, then another mile on dirt before you start climbing. Expect to gain about 1000' in 2 miles to Four Corners, then maybe another 800' and 2 miles to the top of World Cup (these are just estimates, YMMV). Coming down, all the scary parts have b-lines. You'll see guys up there with DH rigs, full-face helmets and body armor, but you can have a great time on an XC/AM rig.

Bonus is that it drains well, usually ok to ride next day after a rain.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Stay within your limits and you will be fine. Full face is not required if you take the B lines. If you plan on riding the A lines then yes, full face.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
...it doesn't seem to be talked about much.
Haven't ridden in there for years but it not talked about because people try to keep it on the DL. The end of the trail at Peutz crosses private property and the owner has problems with bikes on it. Wc is on Indian land and illegal. Fight club rules apply here

·
Registered
191 Posts
Haven't ridden in there for years but it not talked about because people try to keep it on the DL. The end of the trail at Peutz crosses private property and the owner has problems with bikes on it. Wc is on Indian land and illegal. Fight club rules apply here
All true, although I don't recall seeing any signs prohibiting access. The Indian Rez is Capitan Grande, which, according to Wikipedia, is jointly controlled by the Barona and Viejas groups/tribes. It's uninhabited and serves as an ecological preserve. Meaning, I think, that the Indians don't really care much about it as long as nobody tries to actually build or develop anything there. It'd be different if people tried riding on the actual Barona or Viejas reservations.

I haven't heard of any problems with the access at Peutz for years. As far as keeping it on the DL, well, maybe it was some kind of secret at one time but it seems everyone I've ever talked to knows all about it and has ridden there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well that was one hell of a trail! Don't think it's on the down low
as there was no less than 20 cars parked at the bridge. Trail is
super fun and technical. The upper downhill part is pretty crazy
in sections but there was always a way around if it was too bad.
Overall a great trail and can't wait to go back!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this is a newb question but I don't care looking like rookie asking what's "a" and "b" lines?

I want to do this trail with my friends, as we've downhilled big bear, GMR and Mount Wilson. I'm looking for new trails to feel like a kid again.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Think of a-lines as 'advanced' - they tend to have big jumps, drops, rock rolls, things for which the cost for failure can be steep.

The b-lines are are go-arounds. Sometimes called p-lines (p = pansy*). But I don't consider myself a pansy* for knowing my capabilities, limits, and willingness to risk injury - and neither should you or anyone else. You can have plenty of fun at ATT on the b-lines.

(* it's actually a different 5-letter word that stars with p and ends with y but has 'uss' in the middle. The forum software filtered out that word and replaced it with *****).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts