Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it pretty common for Fox service to just plain ignore your emails? I initially got a response from them saying they would replace my out of tolerance shock eyelet bushing (which I appreciated), but after I sent them my shipping info, it's been crickets through 3wks and 3 follow-up emails. Do they have a phone number? I don't see one on their service website

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Fox is easily one of the worst companies when it comes to QC and handling responses in a timely manner. So many issues with brand new Suspension products I don’t even know where to begin.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I bought a new bike last fall that came with a Fox DPS rear shock and Fox 34 fork. Both have been nothing but trouble since I got the bike. The shock will be replaced in the next week and the fork will be swapped out by mid-summer.

I have had fox rear shocks in the past but this is my first ever Fox fork. I was really looking forward to trying it but so far I have to say the experience has been quite underwhelming.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had a defective Fox Transfer which I bought at Jenson (It sagged under body weight when new). I got hold of Fox on the phone no problem, they emailed me a shipping label and I sent it off on a Monday. I had it back on Thursday (WA state to CA to WA). The only slightly disconcerting thing there was no email saying they got the post, and no email saying it shipped and no followup. They are not quite up to the standards of many internet sellers for the total experience but they were quick for me. The post has worked perfectly since (for the last two years.)

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,573 Posts
Fox just moved service center locations on the west coast.
New hires, transition hurdles, backlog of work etc etc.
They are getting back up to speed.
So like, stuff they should have thought about before the move?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Only time I've had an issue I called. Mr service dude had me fixed up with a new part no charge in no time. Call if you can.

My experience with them has been nothing short of perfect.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have the same Fox shock bushing tolerance issue that Jaks has. I sent them an email. They responded and asked for the shock code and if I could send a video of the issue, which I did. I didn't hear anything for a week and then contacted them again to check on the status. They responded right away and said they were shipping me a new bushing for the shock and verified my address. That was last Monday. I'm in Alaska and we are currently getting hammered with spring snowfall so it's not like I'm waiting for the bushing to ride. I'll give them to the middle of next week and then call.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,573 Posts
Only time I've had an issue I called. Mr service dude had me fixed up with a new part no charge in no time. Call if you can.

My experience with them has been nothing short of perfect.
I have to agree with calling them, same experience.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
I had nothing but problems in the past when I did HAVE to deal with them. No responses via email and phone calls were met with broh/bruh douchenozzle mentality of "Dude that's a cheap fork. Just replace it with something like XYZ." When XYZ was a $900+ fork I laughed and was met with "Sorry bruh, can't help you then. *click*" Was even met with the same mentality when I went to their "Service truck/tent" at local races that they participated in.

I realize that not many have that kinda experience and you rarely hear about the GOOD experiences, only the bad. But from everyone I have talked to, my personal dealings, and even talking about it with my local shop I frequent, well my experience is not uncommon. Hence why I outright refuse to purchase or use ANY FOX product, regardless of clothing, mtb, or auto.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Different Experience Here

My experience has been the opposite - nothing but good luck with product and service from Fox. They are very friendly on the phone as well as when i drop off products for service at their Fletcher HQ. I only use email for their semi-automated service system.

I've had a little less luck with product performance from Rock Shox but it is good enough. And my one warranty experience was very positive.

The only consistently negative product support and performance experiences I have had are with Manitou. A lot of people on this board swear by their stuff but I'll never purchase another product from them again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nothing to complain here. I got a creaky steerer on my Fox 36 and got it all sorted out within 5 days with shipping label sent and full service performed free of charge 14 month after purchase. Very happy with Fox here.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I had nothing but problems in the past when I did HAVE to deal with them. No responses via email and phone calls were met with broh/bruh douchenozzle mentality of "Dude that's a cheap fork. Just replace it with something like XYZ." When XYZ was a $900+ fork I laughed and was met with "Sorry bruh, can't help you then. *click*" Was even met with the same mentality when I went to their "Service truck/tent" at local races that they participated in.
Similar experience here. I sent the DPS Evol rear shock into them for some service work and when I got it back I realized it wasn't even my shock. I know this because the air can on the shocks they use on Pivot frames have a "goove" for lack of a better term around the air can just above the wiper seal that you ziptie their sag gage into. I had taken that gage off before mailing the shock in to Fox. The shock I received back does not have that groove on it.

I forget the exact quote but when I e-mailed them to try and get it sorted out their response was something along the line of "dude, don't worry about the details, just go pedal and be happy".

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
My experience has been the opposite - nothing but good luck with product and service from Fox. They are very friendly on the phone as well as when i drop off products for service at their Fletcher HQ. I only use email for their semi-automated service system.

I've had a little less luck with product performance from Rock Shox but it is good enough. And my one warranty experience was very positive.

The only consistently negative product support and performance experiences I have had are with Manitou. A lot of people on this board swear by their stuff but I'll never purchase another product from them again.
Being able to walk into an HQ will always be a huge difference. That is a HUGE discerning factor there. But like I said, you always here about the negatives, rarely the positives.

Conversely, the few times I have had to deal with Manitou in the past (haven't had to in about 2yrs so things definitely could have changed) I have never had problems. Normally get a response within a day or so of submitting an email request, and have even received phone calls in the past from email submissions. And I have been riding Manitou stuff for 9yrs now.

One thing I have noticed with FOX is that if it is a lower level product, OEM or New Aftermarket, they seems to be less responsive. Higher end stuff, they are on you like white on rice. Buddy that used to work for SCOTT ran into this problem with the stock shock and fork that came with his Genius 730 that he got from one of their demo/dealer camps in 2013. He kept having issues where the Vanilla OEM shock would blow the seals on extended downhill sessions because it would heat up so much (know problem which is why the ended up moving to different shock in 2014). When he called to try and get a service kit through his bike sales guys, they gave him the run-around and eventually told him that he just needed to purchase a new shock. Then in 2016 he had the fork, FOX 34, rebuilt by a local shop that is an authorized service center. The SCOTTS have the twinlock system which requires a special top cap, well he went for the damper upgrade because the fork was one of the ones where they offered the free/semi-free upgrade because of all the issues. To this day he still does not have the proper top-cap for the Twin-Lock system because FOX "never got around" to sending it out. Emails, calls, even pulling strings through SCOTT got him nothing. When he finally did get a hold of someone, he basically got the "Dude that's an old fork! Tell you what, just upgrade to the new XYZ 36 and I will give you a 10% discount."

I was literally there on the phone with him when this happened, his response was priceless... "So your telling me that even though the fork is just fine, been rebuilt and only needs would should be like a $20 part. You can't get off your lazy ass to find one for me and send it out WITH the OEM relationship that our companies have? And your answer is for me to spend upwards of $900 on a new fork just so I can get that part, but Oh you will give me 10% off. Yeah, go have another PBR you #$^%@ canoe." and he hung up. Too many personal experiences like that have me just not wanting anything from them, used, new, whatever. Just won't do it. I am sure they make great products but when you are a penny pincher and are going to spend good money on a product, I expect decent/good customer service AT LEAST. My perception is they are nothing more than the rich douchebag kid in high school that rides on the coat tails of mom and dad, has them constantly pull strings or threaten litigation to get what he wants. Yeah, never liked people like that and don't want to be associated with them.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
My observation with Fox is that if you know someone that works there or have an inside line with them, you can get very good support, but if you are a random person off the street calling in, what you get varies significantly. I live near one of their service centers and I know a lot of people with friends that work there and they get excellent service from them. OTOH, I've had issues with their products in the past and gotten the run around repeatedly or have been given really poor advice for addressing deficiencies.

What this tells me is that the people that work there want to help, want people to love their products, and are willing to do it, but Fox as a company is not set up to do so and you get inconsistent support, as a result.

I have more or less sworn them off, going with smaller brands that have a better track record of consistent support, like MRP, DVO, and Cane Creek. The temptation to go with a GRIP2 36 is always there, but if I did, I'd probably buy it from PUSH, which is $$.

·
Registered
260 Posts
....... perception is they are nothing more than the rich douchebag kid in high school that rides on the coat tails of mom and dad, has them constantly pull strings or threaten litigation to get what he wants. Yeah, never liked people like that and don't want to be associated with them.
... dramatic much? It's a suspension company for christs sake

"Pick your brand and be a dink about it" is so true in this sport haha

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.