Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster here that has been running through the droves of threads about carbon rims over the last couple of weeks. I came across Atomik Carbon while surfing Facebook. Thomas Vanderham and Rowen Sorrell are both riding them, so it really caught my attention. Has anyone ridden or heard anything about them? Price point looks good and I like the idea of a beefier bead hook. The whole carbon rim thing is really tempting me to build a new wheel set. BTW, will the wider rim create a tire profile that could cause issues with Pivot Mach 429? The clearance on the rear end of the frame is already pretty tight as it is.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I rode the AM 29 yesterday. My reference point is the Arch EX.
Impressions: stiffer both vertically and laterally. They felt faster climbing. They cornering difference was noticeable, better, than the Arch EX. They tracked better with no discernible flex. Another benefit i recognized is the wider footprint of the rim. i liked this feeling as there was no tire squirm for me at 26 PSI. However, the vertical compliance was stiffer than what I prefer or need. I tested these on my Yeti SB95c. I weigh 165lbs.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I rode the AM 29 yesterday. My reference point is the Arch EX.
Impressions: stiffer both vertically and laterally. They felt faster climbing. They cornering difference was noticeable, better, than the Arch EX. They tracked better with no discernible flex. Another benefit i recognized is the wider footprint of the rim. i liked this feeling as there was no tire squirm for me at 26 PSI. However, the vertical compliance was stiffer than what I prefer or need. I tested these on my Yeti SB95c. I weigh 165lbs.
We find that most people that ride with carbon rims, don't realize that they have to adjust the pressure of their tires. If you take a look at the FAQ section, you should have ridden with approx. 22.5 psi in the front and 25.5 in the rear. Formula = weight/7. Front-1, Rear+2. If the conditions are rocky or you are an aggressive rider, increase accordingly.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That's a real formula? I'm usually at 28 front and rear, mostly due to worrying about cracking or flat spotting a rim.

·
Registered
774 Posts
It's a formula that Stan's suggests using to get a good starting point for tubeless pressure. As stated above, you can fine tune from there, but for a lot of people, it gets you in the ballpark and provides a good baseline to start from.
That's a real formula? I'm usually at 28 front and rear, mostly due to worrying about cracking or flat spotting a rim.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Any word on the demo….between these and NOX at the moment.

Just not crazy about the bead hook…looks like you could damage it putting a tire on or off…

Is there going to be any hookless rims in the near future? Interested!!!

·
Chris Bling
2,585 Posts
Any word on the demo….between these and NOX at the moment.

Just not crazy about the bead hook…looks like you could damage it putting a tire on or off…

Is there going to be any hookless rims in the near future? Interested!!!
Got the demo's of the 1st gen this weekend and am in the process of mounting them up on the bike. Once I have some ride time on them I will report back.

I have been in contact with the owner of Atomik and there are some pretty awesome rims in the works. I don't want to spoil it, but they look sick....

·
Registered
774 Posts
Here is a cross section sample of the final design that is currently in production with a weight of 420g, +/- 15 grams. The thickness of the vertical is 3.5mm and the hook by itself is 1mm. This is more of a modified bead hook in that the vertical is extremely thick and the bead hook is minimal. There's also a hookless version that has been finalized and through the testing process that should be going into production sometime next month. Early testing of the hooked version has proven very strong with results rivaling the hookless version.

Attachments

·
Chris Bling
2,585 Posts
Is there an update on this? I'm curious about the hookless version. The price is very enticing!
I have been riding the Mod-Hooked version for the past several weeks and have been very impressed. Very stiff laterally and I can tell a noticeable difference when steering through rocky areas on the trail. Its kind of like the first time I rode a bike with a 20mm through axle fork after being on a QR for years. You never new what you were missing!!

With a 33mm external width and a 24.5mm internal width, its fits very nicely into the 'perfect width' for me. IMO, that magic number is between 24 and 28mm's. Its a good combination of tire volume, while still retaining the proper shape the tire was designed for. I know the growing fad is to go 'ultra-wide', but I am quite happy that some companies are holding back with what they know works extremely well.

The only negative part I can see is that I need to get a higher volume back tire! I find I am going faster than with my previous wheels and it makes for some killer arm pump through the braking bumps and chunk :)

Here are some pics

20140926_095134.jpg

20140929_174215.jpg

20141011_142358.jpg

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
As far as I know, there will be no online retailers
That is correct Dusty. Our business plan calls for selling through Independent Bike Dealers ONLY and Certified Atomik Wheel Builders. You can contact either Dusty at Hubsessedcycleworks.com or Dustin Gaddis at [email protected].

You can also send us a message with your local bike shop and we will contact them. If they choose to become an Atomik Carbon dealer, they will fill out the onlinbe dealer application and we cans end them a set of demo wheels for you to ride.

Wayne Lee
Atomik Carbon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts