Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are pretty excited about a new Carbon Fat Rim that we are currently developing. The new rim will be single wall construction with a width of 85mm, tubeless ready, and weigh in at around 470 grams based on the latest software modeling estimates. The spoke hole reinforcement and placement are still undecided, as we haven’t made a final decision as to what hub standard (170 vs. 190) we want to optimize the spoke alignment to.

atomikcarbon.com | High Performance Carbon Fiber Mountain Bike Componets

Attachments

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still too early to tell. Wont know till the final product is approved and we get our sample from our engineer in Taiwan. I can tell you one thing......we go through a lot of pre development work before we offer our products to the public. The company that designs and manufacturers for us makes carbon products from some pretty big names. One of them is a bike campany that has won the Tour.

In addition, we try to price as low as we can. You can see from our other carbon rim pricing..

Atomik Carbon

·
Registered
604 Posts
So far today on mtbr I've read two "product launches". The first thread was for an AM hardtail 29er frame that consisted of a company logo, a description of how the bike was going to (believe it or not) climb like a goat and shred the gnar on the way down, and announced plans for a future kickstarter campaign with no particular date. No pictures of an actual frame much less bike, no geo chart, just a promise that it was going to rock. At least this thread has a CAD drawing. Anyone ever heard the phrase "jumping the gun"?

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
I like that companies are doing this. It allows a bit of crowd-sourcing the prototype designs and puts the company in a position to offer a product that they know is actually what people want. Nothing wrong with keeping prototypes a secret, just a different way of doing it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Looks perfect rim as it is now.Keep it that way. At the moment it seems that all released CF rims are built in same style.Dare to be different and offer light option compared to the rest of manufactures.Just wish that price is affordable and ERD is similar to RD.
BTW.I never used any layer of foam or split tube in my fat bike tubeless setups and do not see any problems to run tubeless with Atomik CF rim.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Like the idea. Would prefer not to see the spoke holes so close to the centre line.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,425 Posts
we haven’t made a final decision as to what hub standard (170 vs. 190) we want to optimize the spoke alignment to
Both are symmetrical, does it matter?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
. as we haven’t made a final decision as to what hub standard (170 vs. 190) we want to optimize the spoke alignment to.
Since this is an 85 mm rim, optimize for 170 mm.

Then make a 100 mm rim optimized for 190.

Simple

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We will be putting in a lot of development work over the next few months. I do not like to rush it and tend to like to do some serious testing before releasing to the public. We will more than likely include in our dealer demo program. We will send out announcements if there are any new developments.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts