Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got th' hub & a 36 hole Mavic EX729 bulit up today. It started pouring the rain while i was putting the cassette on so no ride today. :( Doesn't seem a whole lot different from the DT Swiss Onyx hub EXCEPT th' GI bolts-on, WHA-HOO! Coupl'a ridin' buds of mine are riding them & so far no probs. These hubs sell @ our LBS for $60. Not too bad for th' price.

A kind soul here on MTBR willin' to help a broth'a out swung by John Henry's Bike Shop in Canada & picked up a set or 2 of North Shore Billet's Go-nuts for me & mailed them south o' their border. A nut for 10mm bolt-on axels WITH an 8mm hex head so I won't have to carry an extra wrench. Sweetness :cool: .... AALLL th' WAAYY A'ROUN'....nomesane :D

Attachments

·
Registered
896 Posts
man w/ one hand said:
Got th' hub & a 36 hole Mavic EX729 bulit up today. It started pouring the rain while i was putting the cassette on so no ride today. :( Doesn't seem a whole lot different from the DT Swiss Onyx hub EXCEPT th' GI bolts-on, WHA-HOO! Coupl'a ridin' buds of mine are riding them & so far no probs. These hubs sell @ our LBS for $60. Not too bad for th' price.

A kind soul here on MTBR willin' to help a broth'a out swung by John Henry's Bike Shop in Canada & picked up a set or 2 of North Shore Billet's Go-nuts for me & mailed them south o' their border. A nut for 10mm bolt-on axels WITH an 8mm hex head so I won't have to carry an extra wrench. Sweetness :cool: .... AALLL th' WAAYY A'ROUN'....nomesane :D
Wow, that's a great idea! But an 8mm allen wrench is still a large size to be carrying around.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WheelieMan said:
Wow, that's a great idea! But an 8mm allen wrench is still a large size to be carrying around.
I already carry one, (8mm allen). It's on the allen wrench tool I carry. Comes in REAL handy for crank blots that might work their way loose. And now it will come in handy for takin' th' rearwheel off for flats. :D :D

·
Registered
896 Posts
man w/ one hand said:
I already carry one, (8mm allen). It's on the allen wrench tool I carry. Comes in REAL handy for crank blots that might work their way loose. And now it will come in handy for takin' th' rearwheel off for flats. :D :D
Yeah but can you get enough leverage to remove crank bolts/axle bolts with a pocket sized 8mm wrench? How long is the one that you use?

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WheelieMan said:
Yeah but can you get enough leverage to remove crank bolts/axle bolts with a pocket sized 8mm wrench? How long is the one that you use?
I get all of my leverage w/ one hand :D Sorry, I love to do that :rolleyes:

Really, here is the wrench I use. It's an anchor, but I see these "pocket tools" on the rack/shelf @ my LBS & others & I just don't have confidance in them. I got mine @ Lowes hardware. It will tighten a crank bolt plenty tight, even w/ one hand. ;) Sorry. :rolleyes: It is a bunch of weight in my Camelbak but so is the metal tire lever & the chain breaker & the section of chain & the pump & the tube, etc....you get the picture...yes?

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.