Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So , I was looking at getting a Atlas a while back . But ordered a Azonic Revenge before I found out that Ibex WILL ship frames to Canada . O well . Next time will be An Ibex .
This is basically the same frame as the Atlas , but a few hundred $ more (frame only vs frame only ) . So basically the Ibex is a better deal , for the same price you get the 4way swinger instead of the 3 way .
Ibex does seem like a easier company to deal with than Azonic . I ordered this frame THREE months ago and just got it last week !!! And then Azonic forgot to ship it with a shock on it , so I had to wait a week for that . :madmax:
Also the "sticker" badging on the frame is cheap . Not sure if the Atlas is a better quality ,like paint .
Any a hoo
Love the bike , just finished building it up . I still have a drive line issue , so some tweaking needed after the first ride . But the first ride went well . A big smile on my face the whole time ! Pedals up hill great and soaks up the bumps on the way down . Not sure yet what my build weight is , but it handles way lighter than it is .
Cant wait to finish it up and pound the trails !

No I dont own a "Ibex" , but I hang around this forum anyway .
Cheers

;)

Attachments

·
fuggansonofahowa
1,070 Posts
Nice looking ride, spyder56....fun bike, eh?

hmmmm, It looks like the EXACT frame as the Atlas....even the "added" swingarm cross brace that was mentioned as missing in this previous post. Is that frame touted as 7005 aluminum?

It doesn't matter...I'm more than happy with the performance of the Atlas. It surpassed my staunchest expectations.

·
Registered
310 Posts
this is what i mean about us Ibex owners not talking crap about other brands.....have fun blasting them trails....

·
I win.
713 Posts
That's a sweet build up man.

Where'd you get those camo rims? They look bad ass with that frame!
Someone did their h/w on color schemes and the such :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im typing fast so I can quickly write the specs then sneak out the back door at work and go hit the trails . So here they are

-Fox float 32 RLC 140mm
-X.0 grip shift and rear De-railer
-X.7 front de-railer * seem to have a bit of a clearance issue with this so might change to a XT
- race face deus head set
- sram 991 chain and 990 cassette
- salsa QR skewers
- hope seat post clamp
- azonic OS strip bar
- Kore 80mm stem
- race face DH evolve crank with bash * may change this today with a lighter crank
- Azonic mountain X pedals * nice /grippy/ light
- Avid Juicy 7 160mm front /back
- single track rims and red line hubs
- sram cables

99% of this bike was by mail order from a variety of online bike shops in the U.S.A ( I live in Canada) .
The color coordinating of the bike kind of just worked out . I had bought most of these parts here and there as I saw them on sale .

So thanks for the kind words , Im out to give the the bike another pounding .

* sneaks away from desk *

cheers

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update after todays ride :

Before the ride, I swapped out the FD for a shimano . That fixed the clearance issues . But what a pain in the azz to set up with not much clearance for a screwdriver (to set the stops) .
Then I swapped out the crank for a lighter Race Face NEXT LP with a square taper BB . That fixed the drive-line issues . All I have left to fix is that the swing arm pivot point interferes with the chain when dropping/rising between granny and the middle chain ring . Might have to adjust the drive line again :madman:
The Next crank shaved a pound off of the weight of the bike . And should hold up . ( I swiped it off my XC race bike ) . Still not sure what the final build weighs in at . I would guess 28lbs or so .
I ran a more technical trail today . 3hrs of small drops , rocks , logs , and skinny bridges . Steep climbs and fast twisty down hills . The bike handled like a dream . 5 inches of travel is were its at . Loving this bike . Just a harder build up than I was expecting . I own a DH Norco Six , a Mountain Cycle Rumble , a road bike ,and a Giant NRS , all that I have built up from frames . This is my new FAVE bike for sure , a true "do it all " bike .

cheers

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
It is quite the do All bike :thumbsup: Have been riding the Atlas more than the Blitz II lately. Adjusting the front der is easier with a long #2 phillips or a long thin blade flat. :rockon:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am going to add a bash gaud to the NEXT LP . Maybe the first time in history a bash guard has been on a crank like that .:D The weight saving is just too great to say no too it . Not to worry lads , Im a light weight . They will (hope) hold up fine even off small drops an jumps with my skinny azz on them .
I love running a 2.5 tire up front . Two of my bikes that is the size I am running . But a 2.3 is so much faster , and I find still gives me that (false) sense of confidence .

Next ride I hope to get some video action ! :thumbsup:

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
1 - 20 of 48 Posts