Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dude,

How many of you had to use an f'ing pry bar to install Atlas cranks?

The crank/spindle interface is whack. It felt like I was cutting threads.

WTF Raceface?!?!?

(edit) - btw, I replaced my funkdified pair - posted earlier this week, with a new pair.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
pvd said:
you need to use a special tool called a 'crank puller', it's kinda like a gear puller but for cranks. a crowbar is the wrong tool.
HE SAID INSTALL THE CRANKS YOU MORON !!!

And yes, raceface's production tolerances for their external BB crank setups are atrocious. I've lost track of the number of times I've seen people in local shops either fighting to install them, or remove them. And it always has to do with the self-extracting crank bolt they use too. The threads are machined so poorly, that they gall & fret when trying to assemble them (hence the "it feels like I was cutting threads" statement) and then usually seize up once installed so that you need to use a lugnut breaker bar for the allen bolt to get enough leverage to get it to start turning to pull the crank off.

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DeeEight said:
HE SAID INSTALL THE CRANKS YOU MORON !!!

And yes, raceface's production tolerances for their external BB crank setups are atrocious. I've lost track of the number of times I've seen people in local shops either fighting to install them, or remove them. And it always has to do with the self-extracting crank bolt they use too. The threads are machined so poorly, that they gall & fret when trying to assemble them (hence the "it feels like I was cutting threads" statement) and then usually seize up once installed so that you need to use a lugnut breaker bar for the allen bolt to get enough leverage to get it to start turning to pull the crank off.
It really felt like I they were misaligned, as I was tightening the 8 mil - but it was just really bad machining. Little bits of metal sheered off during installation.

I used the BB spindle from my old set as a pry bar to leverage the wrench. Hopefully these don't come lose like my last pair.

I've never seen worse machining tolerances in a pair of cranks!

BTW - the edit to my title sucks -Jesus Christos!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.