Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My raceface Atlas cranks have a lot of slop in the BB/crank sline interface.

The cranks are bottoming out on the BB spindle such that the end of the spindle is flush with the edge of the spline interface edge on the crank arm (ie, the crank bolt hits both the crank arm and BB spindle when fully titened). So - this is not a spacing issue - realining the spacers won't do anything.

There is a noticable amount of room between the inside of the crank arm and the spindle - approx 1/2 milimeter.

Unless I am missing something - I think I need new cranks.

Tell me I'm wrong.

Thanks!

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
I had that happen with a set of Deus cranks after about a year on the bike, the bolt was bottomed out and there was no side play, it was setup properly and working well and then the drive side crank developed a wobble in the space of a couple of rides. The crank arm was loose on the splined spindle. It was replaced on warranty.

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rockyuphill said:
I had that happen with a set of Deus cranks after about a year on the bike, the bolt was bottomed out and there was no side play, it was setup properly and working well and then the drive side crank developed a wobble in the space of a couple of rides. The crank arm was loose on the splined spindle. It was replaced on warranty.
They replaced a worn out crank under warranty? Wow. I'll call them Monday to see what they say.

Thanks.

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mopartodd said:
Are your spacers worn? The RF spacers I've seen were either a plastic coated metal, or just a hard, full plastic spacer. Either will wear over time to produce slop.
I believe mine are metal.

Regardless - the issue is the cranks rock on the spindle - not the spindle moving within the BB.

I kinda think it's a bad design. All the other Xtype cranks I've had have the drive side press fit to the spindle and the non-drive bolted on. Atlas is the reverse.

Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.