Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since everyone is jumping on the Atkins bandwagon to try and milk the fat public for all they're worth, Carl's Jr. jumped in with their breakfast bowl.

http://www.carlsjr.com/home/ <~ click on low carb nutrition information

calories: 900
grams of fat: 73
grams of saturated fat: 33
cholestoral: 875
sodium: 2050

lol!

Man . . . to think that people actually believe all the 'carbs are bad' propoganda enough to stuff their face with 73 grams of fat and actually think they are being healthy :nonono:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Holy carp!

Unbelieveable. I have several friends who are on the Atkins bandwagon. 'Let's see, I'll have steak, bacon and eggs with cheese, and a diet coke.' Hilarious. :p

Whatever happened to a balanced diet and exercise? Oh yeah, too difficult for most people.

Jim
 

·
Do It Yourself
Joined
·
5,720 Posts
Anyone that think a Breakfast Grease Bowl is good for you is going to get what they deserve. But the whole low carb thing isn't all bad. I see Wendy's advertising grilled veggies over a burger. Sounded pretty good to me.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,605 Posts
People seem to be unable to seperate low carb and high fat. Just because you want to limit carb intake (not neccessarly a good thing for biking) doesn't mean you should eat crap. Low carb should include things like chicken breast, low fat ground turkey, lean pork cuts and fish.

I have to laugh at some of the people that are on "atkins." I was at fuddruckers a few months ago (where they look at me like I am in nuts when I order a chicken sandwich with water to drink and no fries) and this lady in front of me orders a 2/3 pound burger with 3 kinds of cheese, a basket of fries, and says "please hold the bun, I am on an atkins diet." I wanted to say to her, "do you honestly think that holding the bun makes any difference?" Then of course the fact she weight about 300 pounds answered the question.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,605 Posts
LBguy said:
calories: 900
grams of fat: 73
grams of saturated fat: 33
cholestoral: 875
sodium: 2050

lol!

Man . . . to think that people actually believe all the 'carbs are bad' propoganda enough to stuff their face with 73 grams of fat and actually think they are being healthy :nonono:
I think my arteries just hardened a bit reading that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
thats hilklariouse, i dont belive in the low carb craze, in the end it all about callories and how much you consume/burn off. anyways i think that if someone was to think thats healthy, OMG they are just asking for a free ride in an ambulance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
In protest, I am on the anti-Atkins diet. That is... all carbs... all the time. Supplemented with a strict intake of beer.... and none of that low carb crap either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
stalk&kill said:
thats hilklariouse, i dont belive in the low carb craze, in the end it all about callories and how much you consume/burn off. anyways i think that if someone was to think thats healthy, OMG they are just asking for a free ride in an ambulance.
The thing that kills me is you will lose more weight faster if you just take the dang fork out of your mouth. I mean really why would you go to a fast food resturaunt for Breakfast, why not try eating some fruit or somethin. I lost 30 lbs just regulating my intake.

That dang atkins, funny thing is all the people on that diet will lose alot of weight in the hospital when they suffer a major heart attack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
That breakfast is for wimps

That breakfast only has 73 grams of fat......

If you want some industrial strength fat in your diet, then order the brand new
"Double Six Dollar Burger" Now they don't, as yet, have the nutritional information on that one, but since the regular Six Dollar Burger is 62 grams of fat, I guess we can assume that the "Double" is somewhere from 100 to 120 grams of fat....all in one convient burger...
Take a look at the pic on their web site.....it pops right up...
Thats what a FULL POUND of Angus beef looks like

http://www.carlsjr.com/home/

Hmmmm, hmmm good.....Get the jumper cables for my heart

But why limit yourself........Go early for the breakfast, get your 62 grams, and then come back for lunch..... Even without fries, you're nearly up to 200 grams of fat for the day and we haven't even talked about dinner...... Dinner.....Hmmmm KFC sounds tasty...yeah, a bucket of the extra crispy...... Thank you Dr. Atkins....... Dr. Atkins.....Dr. Atkins?
Oh yeah, I guess he won't answer anymore..... He had that "fall" you know.... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chester said:
That breakfast only has 73 grams of fat......

If you want some industrial strength fat in your diet, then order the brand new
"Double Six Dollar Burger" Now they don't, as yet, have the nutritional information on that one, but since the regular Six Dollar Burger is 62 grams of fat, I guess we can assume that the "Double" is somewhere from 100 to 120 grams of fat....all in one convient burger...
Take a look at the pic on their web site.....it pops right up...
Thats what a FULL POUND of Angus beef looks like

http://www.carlsjr.com/home/

Hmmmm, hmmm good.....Get the jumper cables for my heart

But why limit yourself........Go early for the breakfast, get your 62 grams, and then come back for lunch..... Even without fries, you're nearly up to 200 grams of fat for the day and we haven't even talked about dinner...... Dinner.....Hmmmm KFC sounds tasty...yeah, a bucket of the extra crispy...... Thank you Dr. Atkins....... Dr. Atkins.....Dr. Atkins?
Oh yeah, I guess he won't answer anymore..... He had that "fall" you know.... ;)
rofl! good stuff!
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
Holy Crap!!

I used to have one of those 6 bucks burger only after a long "bonk ride" (not healthy though but I was on calories shortage!!).... and still passed on the dinner!!

Do people have that and the other two regular foods???

Anyway I'll give it a try sometime (when I go back riding again).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,211 Posts
stalk&kill said:
thats hilklariouse, i dont belive in the low carb craze, in the end it all about callories and how much you consume/burn off. anyways i think that if someone was to think thats healthy, OMG they are just asking for a free ride in an ambulance.
And your basing this on what? The S. Beach diet is in fact designed for individuals with heart disease, I think. Whether you believe in something or not is IMO moot unless you have some research to back it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
skinny-tire said:
And your basing this on what? The S. Beach diet is in fact designed for individuals with heart disease, I think. Whether you believe in something or not is IMO moot unless you have some research to back it up.
My wife started the S. Beach diet and myself too (to a degree). It's actually very well balanced focusing on insulin control to keep the amount of fat stored to a minimum. You basically stay away from high glycemic foods like baked potatoes. But looking at the list of what you can and can't eat the can's outweigh the can'ts. Baked sweet potatoes are good due to the amount of fiber in them. Marketing like Carls Jr. has taken the Atkins diet and screwed it all up making folks believe that ribeyes smothered in bleu cheese dressing and bacon is health food. I think it's a backlash from all the "Low Fat" marketing that got people huge because they didn't understand that calories also come from carbs which get stored as fat when you're inactive.

Mountain Bike Quarterly just ran a very good article on food related to riding. If you eat high glycemic foods like GU during excercise it just gets used as fuel. There is also a glycogen window that is open for about 45 mins after intense exercise where your body is geared up to replenish it's exhausted glycogen stores in the muscle and liver. So save your pie and pasta for right after a ride.

It's really simple, ride to eat and eat to ride!!!

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Time will come...

...when the detrimental effects of the Atkins diet are finally realized and the people on it start having a hard time lifting their pencils, the people who were smart enough to stay off it would finally be able to say... I TOLD YOU SO!

There is a reason why the first step in respiration is called GLYCOlysis you know :rolleyes:
Read through any biology book, even a middle school one, and you'd find out that its bad for you.

Besides, how hard is it to get your lazy a$$ of the couch and run a mile every now and then, it only takes 20 mins (at least it will be for you if you're desperate enough to try the Atkins)
 

·
ceteris paribus
Joined
·
593 Posts
I don't understand why ppl go on diets. I eat 4-6 meals a day, and I mean big meals, and I still lost about 4 pounds during the last couple of months.

Eat to ride
ride to eat...

sounds good enough for me.

That atkins diet is plain crazy, a couple of coworkers are doing it and they're all f*ck*d up, they'll set up the A/C so hot you could boil water in the office. I guess it f*ks up your body's heat sensors or something...
 

·
Lazy People Suck
Joined
·
771 Posts
Its all about moderation and good sense

I did a pseudo adkins type of diet this spring which basically consisted of minimizing my carb intake, steering away from bread, pasta, potatoes and any sweets. It worked very well for me. I lost 20 lbs went from a mid pack Sport racer to winning everything and being forcibly bumped to Expert. Granted I trained hard, but the weight loss made a big difference and the weight seemed to just fall off when I started watching my carb intake. I ate smart in that I did not go for high fat foods and when I felt my energy level go down, I would up my carb intake a bit to keep my body in a good balance.

It does work, but you have to use good sense about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fett said:
I did a pseudo adkins type of diet this spring which basically consisted of minimizing my carb intake, steering away from bread, pasta, potatoes and any sweets. It worked very well for me. I lost 20 lbs went from a mid pack Sport racer to winning everything and being forcibly bumped to Expert. Granted I trained hard, but the weight loss made a big difference and the weight seemed to just fall off when I started watching my carb intake. I ate smart in that I did not go for high fat foods and when I felt my energy level go down, I would up my carb intake a bit to keep my body in a good balance.

It does work, but you have to use good sense about it.
It only worked cause you watched what you ate and you kept the calories down. Had nothing to do with carbs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
963 Posts
It is kind of funny how people make such a big deal out of diets and such.

My older brother told me once that there are a couple of rules to eating healthy. He said always try to eat as many different colored foods as you can every day and only shop on the outside edge of the grocery store. It's OK to go into the middle of the store for soap and plastic bags and a few odds and ends, but get the bulk of your food from the outside edge.

Do that and stay active and you can't go wrong. Think about it.
 

·
Ride on
Joined
·
639 Posts
multicolor old, outside edge new

I heard the multicolor thing from my hippie parents, and to this day I feel guilty if I eat a meal without more than two or three colors :)

The outside edge thing is interesting, and it makes sense. All of the fresh foods that require refridgeration have to be on the outside edge. An added plus is that fresh food tastes better, even if it takes longer to prepare.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
I don't mind atkins.
As a vegetarian, it's great to have all this high-protein low-carb stuff hanging around to replace meat in my diet. It usually has lots of sodium too....good for after rides, lol.
We actually have atkins stores where I live....low/no carb EVERYTHING.

-skinky
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top