Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out about this today. I seriously hope Giant attains some new Downhill World Cup podiums threats for the upcoming season. Seeing Gee and Dan (and Rachel) podium in Downhill, 4X and SuperD helped keep Giant relevant in the international MTB scene. Hell, Gee is even killing it in slopestyle. Big loss for Giant.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
goRz said:
if it was a different company, but Commencal ?! echhhh...
Big loss either way. (And I've read nothing but killer reviews for their Meta 5.5.) Those boys routinely podium (as does Rachel), and I'd be willing to bet Dan could take Adam Craig on the nastier Super-D courses, as well as every 4X.

Giant needs to go after one of the big downhillers this off-season. Cannondale lost Gracia but picks up Hannah and whammo the guy wins a World Cup race and the company stays in the picture.

·
Johny Sokko!
301 Posts
Funny how that Meta looks just like the VT.

Don't forget Adam Cavalier & Jared Rando (they race in the US, but are both from Australia).

Your probably right about the Super D thing, but Adam is the one with the two championships.

·
spinner
186 Posts
Stoner said:
Don't forget Adam Cavalier & Jared Rando (they race in the US, but are both from Australia).

Your probably right about the Super D thing, but Adam is the one with the two championships.
It's Amiel Cavalier, not Adam. He's currently leading the Australian DH series with one round left to go , but Kovarik , Hill and Hannah haven't been racing the series. Rennie raced one round and won it.

I don't think Giant have too much to worry about losing the Athertons. They seem to be focussed on value for money bikes , rather than a race winning team. Can't see it affecting sales very much anyway.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pinky said:
I don't think Giant have too much to worry about losing the Athertons. They seem to be focussed on value for money bikes , rather than a race winning team. Can't see it affecting sales very much anyway.
I don't purchase bikes because they have a winning team or famous riders, but I'd be lying if I said those things don't matter at all to me. You drop a couple grand on a bike, it's more than a sum of it's parts -- it's a company and crew you're buying into. That's one reason we're all here in the Giant forum.

·
Registered
938 Posts
NJ-XC-Justin said:
I don't purchase bikes because they have a winning team or famous riders, but I'd be lying if I said those things don't matter at all to me. You drop a couple grand on a bike, it's more than a sum of it's parts -- it's a company and crew you're buying into. That's one reason we're all here in the Giant forum.
yeah and while buying Giant knowing that someone is winning races on one of those bikes, would be nice.... maybe it is not reasonable, but on the other hand it also proves in a way that they are well built, etc.

·
Johny Sokko!
301 Posts
Pinky,

I owe Amiel an apology, he was really cool at the Fontana, CA race last year. I think my brain was focused on writing the part about Adam C. kicking butt on the Super D championships.

The last couple posts are right on the money, I think most of us have bought into the idea of a good bike at an affordable price. I'm sure the racing solidifies the quality, but I think the racing just lends more to the branding and recognition. If you ask an average person about bikes, the first name is Trek (Lance was worth every penny they spent on him) than Specialized. What's a shame is that no big company got behind John Tomac except for Kenda and we can all see that didn't work out! (Just got a fresh pair of Nevegals for the Trance) Maybe he could have said no to everyone also! You never know!

·
spinner
186 Posts
I figured there had been confusion between Adam Craig and Amiel. Just had to be a picky so and so. :p :)

Based on recent results on the world circuit , the Athertons seem to be a force to be reckoned with in coming years. I'd imagine lucrative offers would have been a factor in their future plans.

·
TranceX Rider
948 Posts
Really a big loss for Giant! Well, you lose some, win some. Good thing, Adam Craig is still around to stay on their camp.

Keep us posted then!

Thanks!

Be safe, everyone!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.