Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to mtb and looking for my first bike. I'd love to get a FS so I have all riding options open (DH, jumping, etc.)

Something I keep reading on forums is that a cheap FS bike is an absolute waste of money.

I was thinking of spending 2300-2800, maybe something like a Trek Fuel EX 7. Are these $2k-$3k FS considered junk? Or would I be better off spending that kind of cash on something like a SJ Comp Carbon HT?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,402 Posts
That's plenty of $$ to get a nice FS bike.

Also, if you're not opposed to buying used, you should be able to really score in that price range.

·
Climbs = necessary evil
681 Posts
I think you can get a nice bike at that price range. And if you want more bike for the same money, buy a used one that's just a year or two old.

I bought my Niner RIP9 for just over $3k during a winter sale.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
You are over thinking it.

The Trek Fuel EX 7 is a good bike.
There are good bikes for less also.

My full squish was considerably less.
(2012 GT Sensor Elite 9r)
MSRP was $2k but I picked it up new for a steal @ $1k.

Is it the best bike on the trail? No but I do everything my friends do on $3k to $4k bikes and sometimes more. I also have about 3k miles it without problem.

The trails around here are rocky, rooty and technical (Pisgah National Forrest).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are used purchases mostly through owner, or could I expect to find deals at a LBS?

My only concern with buying used is my lack of knowledge on components and determining the wear on them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would not but used at that price point. You can get a nice new bike with support from the LBS you buy it from. Used bikes are a gamble.
with a new bike you'll get a couple free tune ups, and help with any warrenty issues that may come up.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Are used purchases mostly through owner, or could I expect to find deals at a LBS?

My only concern with buying used is my lack of knowledge on components and determining the wear on them.
Some shops carry used, some don't.

I think a good choice for a first bike is definitely going new if you have the money because right now you know nothing about what to look for.

I also say buy your first bike locally as opposed to online. It will cost a little more but it will help you in the learning process of bike fitment, how the bike should ride, free tune up(s) until you figure out how to do it yourself, etc etc.

·
Registered
12,402 Posts
OP- where are you in MA? I can probably help you out with some local 411.
(I'm north of Worcester myself.)

You thinking Highland for DH I'm assuming?

·
Registered
12,402 Posts
Oh, it's a good time alright. FWIW, when someone refers to 'DH', it's usually taken to mean riding that involves a chairlift or shuttle vehicle (or a whole lot of hike-a-bike). If you truly plan to do quite a bit of this type of riding (and can swallow the windshield time involved), you'll have some different considerations when choosing a bike than if you are planning to do most of your riding locally.

Bikebarn is a good shop in your area. JRA in Meford is also great.

Just to muddy the waters...I really like me a good deal on a used/leftover ride...if you're at all competent mechanically, IMO used is the way to go.

Trek Fuel EX 9.9 carbon mountain bike + bonus wheelset

2013 gt force 1.0 full suspension bike

2012 Yeti SB66 XC / All Mountain Bike, size L

BRAND NEW 2013 SANTA CRUZ NOMAD MEDIUM RAW SILVER

Actually, with your budget, you could pick up both a decent trail bike for local riding as well as a bike specifically for lift / aggressive riding.

Morewood Izimu DH/Freeride Bike

Salsa El Mariachi 29r MTN Bike

29" Airborne Goblin Mountain Bike

Just a thought...and any more info you can give about the riding you want to do will help people give you better specifics. You'll definitely be seeing plenty of granite at places like Wompatuck, Borderlands, Freetown, Blue Hills, etc (well, actually pretty much anywhere in NE besides parts of the Cape) if any of those places are close to you. By jumping, I'm assuming you're thinking typcial stuff you'd run into on the trails, not purpose built dirt jumps or skatepark type stuff? (That would have me recommending something different, or maybe even a third bike ;) )

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Appreciate all the info - I suppose a bike for local riding would be better, I'd get out on it more often. Really, I just want to start out with some aggressive riding on technical trails with drops, and some speed.

I'll have to check out Bikebarn, straight down Rt18 from me.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Telling someone who has a $2000 budget to buy their first bike used is really bad advice.
Just go to Bikebarn, it's a good shop. Tell them what you want and how much you want to spend. You'll end up with a nice, problem free bike, and if anything does go wrong, you can just bring it itno the shop, and have them deal with it.
Make a point to learn how to do your own maintenance. In the future, you'll be better prepared to buy used, if you want to. Personally, I seldom buy used mountain bikes, because you have no idea how they were treated. The last thing I want is a XC bike, that some 240 pound dude spent all season hitting 6 foot drops on, then says " hey it's only one year old, good as new."

·
Registered
12,402 Posts
Telling someone who has a $2000 budget to buy their first bike used is really bad advice.
As far as I'm concerned, particularly in that price range, paying retail really bad advice for anyone with some mechanical aptitude. Did you check out the links I posted? Look like some solid deals to me.

·
Registered text offender
1,137 Posts
You need to spend at least $10,000- else you won’t pose nearly as effectively as I do at the trail head. :cool::p

I rode in the early ’90’s and took a 15 year hiatus. When I decided to again give mtb’ing a go I bought used, but I did a lot of research and took my time and did end up with a great bike- a 2010 Titus El Guapo- but I sold it eventually and built something I like better.

I now have a very loved FS bike as well as a hardtail. What I found is:

*It took trail time to really develop a sense of what I do and don’t need/ like.

*I ended up spending twice after I honed in on my preferences.

*I tinker and wrench so in the end I scratch built a bike anyway.

The point I’m trying to convey is that as much as I like supporting local business and the support offered from a bike shop, used is a good way to start if you’re patient and shrewd. You can save a lot of cash, get a great bike, and later buy new or upgrade once you got a better handle on what you like and what’s out there since your savings won’t be depleted.

All of the above applies to me personally and how much it would apply to anyone else is highly dependent upon their mechanical aptitude, if one is less than handy with tools or is simply disinterested in DIY they would in my opinion be better served buying new.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.