Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few of the Rocky bikes at the World's, I'll have some more if my camera doesn't drown this morning

An MHP sized Element Team (with the carbon swinglink)

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel

MHP's Vertex getting a tuneup after some training on Friday, her weapon of choice for a dry MSA. We'll see if there's a change today.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle part Bicycle wheel rim

One of the proto carbon Elements that has been getting a regular destructive testing beat down on the North Shore, in Squamish, Pemberton and the Chilcotins by Peteypete. So far the bike is winning. It's the MSL version.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel rim Wheel

·
chips & bier
1,597 Posts
rockyuphill said:
One of the proto carbon Elements that has been getting a regular destructive testing beat down on the North Shore, in Squamish, Pemberton and the Chilcotins by Peteypete. So far the bike is winning. It's the MSL version.
Interesting pics!

I'm waiting for somebody to say "that's a lot of seatpost showing". :skep: I wonder.. is this RM HQ approved? If so I might fit on an 18, it having the same TT as my Vertex race bike...

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Peteypete is a big guy, likely 6'-5" and he's the marketing manager, so he's likely got an inside track on what's permitted. He's been pounding it around on some gnarly trails and has been unable to break it.

Some shots of a bike that was ridden hard and put away wet

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
eric said:
Interesting pics!

I'm waiting for somebody to say "that's a lot of seatpost showing". :skep:
I was thinking the same thing when I saw that seatpost in the photo.

Another two small things - what's written on the sidewall of that Schwalbe tyre is that on the rear of the 4x bike behind Peteypete's Element - "First Ride"?
Secondly is MHP using Ignitors on her Vertex in the wet? If so, she's a brave woman! :eekster:

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DGB said:
I was thinking the same thing when I saw that seatpost in the photo.

Another two small things - what's written on the sidewall of that Schwalbe tyre is that on the rear of the 4x bike behind Peteypete's Element - "First Ride"?
Secondly is MHP using Ignitors on her Vertex in the wet? If so, she's a brave woman! :eekster:
Yep, FIRST RIDE, protos perhaps.

MHP was saying afterwards that the tires were too hard and lacked grip on the wet roots and rocks, they worked fine in the muddy trail conditions, but she was spinning the rear wheel on the rooty and rocky climbs as well as not feeling confident on the Beatrice descent. She ran it the first go and made a couple of errors there. Maxxis needs a Black Chili rubber compound. I tried the eXception Ignitor 2.1's a couple of years ago and found them scary slick on wet roots and rocks.

·
Registered
464 Posts
rockyuphill said:
Yep, FIRST RIDE, protos perhaps.

MHP was saying afterwards that the tires were too hard and lacked grip on the wet roots and rocks, they worked fine in the muddy trail conditions, but she was spinning the rear wheel on the rooty and rocky climbs as well as not feeling confident on the Beatrice descent. She ran it the first go and made a couple of errors there. Maxxis needs a Black Chili rubber compound. I tried the eXception Ignitor 2.1's a couple of years ago and found them scary slick on wet roots and rocks.
Personally, I think an ADvantage would be a better bet than the Ignitor in wet & greasy conditions and would have more overall grip. However, Maxxis' rubber compound is a bit too hard for wet roots and rocks.

I haven't tried Conti's BC compound but from what I've heard and read they should be better than the eXCeption's. Good call on Maxxis coming up with some form of Black Chili :thumbsup: that would be nice.

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maxxis has that really soft rubber from their DH/FR tires, but it has high hysteresis so higher rolling resistance. The Conti BC rubber is 55 Shore hardness (same as a Kenda Stick-E Rubber) but has very low rolling resistance. I think the Maxxis soft XC rubber is about 60-61 Shore like the standard Conti rubber. The new X-Kings will be the right tire for the Altitude me thinks, in 2.4" Supersonic versions

·
chips & bier
1,597 Posts
I've gone from riding mostly Maxxis to mostly Conti and would concur: in general the rubber on the latter is just that tad more grippy in the wet. I switched to ADvantages a couple of years ago and found them wonderful in rock and gravel, but still a bit scary on anything organic.

Eventually managed to get a live stream of the mens' XCO yesterday - a low-res feedthrough of a Belgian channel. The commentators were great fun to listen and quite shocked at Kabush's bar length, going on about it a number of times :D. Good show by Kabush too, though I'd hoped he'd cross the finish line in in front of Killeen.

Which reminds me... it's time to pack my race back and get my *** into gear....

·
Registered
464 Posts
Looking at that seatpost on the prototype Element again, with a rested set of eyes, I think the seatpost was over-extended to allow it to rest against the top bar of the bike stand.

The "high tide" markings on the post suggest that it's normally about 5-10cm lower down into the seat tube - that rider is tall regardless.

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Both MHP and Kabush were about the same distance back in their fields, so more or less the top 10 were all within 2:30-3:00 of the winner which is a good indicator of the pace. In the last lap you could tell that Irina, Willow and Catharine were on the edge as they were making lots of little mistakes trying to push ahead of each other.

Here's the quote from MHP's website

The downpour that hit the mountain before the start of the race made the course soggy, which is quite a contrast with the last few days of dry and dusty weather. Consequently, Marie had selected rain tires, which did not prove to be the best choice.

"I had a so-so start and I wanted to be better positioned early. From the start of the race, I realized that it was really slippery. On rocks and roots, I had no traction. During the race, I fumed against my choice of tires, but hey, it's part of the game. That's mountain biking, "she said philosophically.

The Conti Black Chili rubber is amazing on wet roots and rocks, I run Race Kings which have those low profile knobs, they roll very fast on hadpack, and they have about 60% grip and 40% slip on wet roots and rocks. So even when you spin you get some forward movement, or a bit of side slip, but you can catch it. It doesn't help if the wood bridge decks are covered in that slime that happens in a long wet winter. That's like Teflon. Or the rubber that IRC used in their Mibro tires. :skep:

Most manufacturers that do dual compound tires make them backwards, they put the soft rubber on the side knobs and the hard fast rolling rubber in the middle. For wet roots and rocks it needs to be the other way around, you always try to hit those obstacles as square and vertical as possible so you want the soft rubber in the middle and the harder rubber on side knobs so they can dig into the mud. If Maxxis makes the Ikon tread with a sticky rubber compound they'll have the right sort of weapon for this course.

·
Registered
306 Posts
DGB said:
Looking at that seatpost on the prototype Element again, with a rested set of eyes, I think the seatpost was over-extended to allow it to rest against the top bar of the bike stand.

The "high tide" markings on the post suggest that it's normally about 5-10cm lower down into the seat tube - that rider is tall regardless.
Nope, that's my real seat height... I am technically too tall for a 20.5, but the way I have it set up feels great. New Element needs 80mm of seatpost insertion and I have that with my 425mm Thomson, but it definitely looks weird.

·
chips & bier
1,597 Posts
peteypete said:
Nope, that's my real seat height... I am technically too tall for a 20.5, but the way I have it set up feels great. New Element needs 80mm of seatpost insertion and I have that with my 425mm Thomson, but it definitely looks weird.
Gotta ask: what length stem are you running?

Although my initial thought was a 19" frame I'm now thinking an 18" MSL would probably fit (and yes, look weird) with the same TT as my Vertex.

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
605mm of HTT on the 19" does mean I could dial my stem back to 100mm from the 110mm I'm running on my Vertex to fit my gorilla arms. :skep: :thumbsup:

I wonder if that means they are also allowing for sag to get to the working HTT length as part of the Straight Up Geometry, since HTT is the hypotenuse of the triangle, as the rear suspension sags, the HTT would shorten up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
peteypete said:
hehe....you said insertion.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts