Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The winds are howling through my neighborhood as I type at about a steady 40-50 mph with gusts it seems above 60-70. There's this constant low howl overhead like an endless train passing through. The sunrise is being obscured by the dust kicking up in the open space to my east. I've never felt my house shake like this (I built it tough, you know).

At least it's 55 degrees. If only a guy could plan his ride to go only with the wind...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
My house has the shakes too. But there's no wind in the new Boulder velodrome. whoops roadie content. However it's so short, it's like riding in a giant video game. kind of like mountain biking... sort of, right?

·
slow
7,834 Posts
From NOAA:

STRONGEST GUSTS OBSERVED SINCE LAST EVENING INCLUDE 91 MPH AT
CARTER LAKE IN SOUTHERN LARIMER COUNTY...84 MPH ON THE NORTH SIDE
OF LONGMONT IN BOULDER COUNTY...82 MPH AT ROCKY FLATS IN NORTHERN
JEFFERSON COUNTY...AND 81 MPH ON LEE HILL NORTHWEST OF BOULDER.
WIND SPEEDS IN THE FOOTHILLS AND ON THE ADJACENT HIGH PLAINS HAVE
AVERAGED 25 TO 40 MPH SINCE MIDNIGHT.

·
Registered
9,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
sgltrak said:
From NOAA:

STRONGEST GUSTS OBSERVED SINCE LAST EVENING INCLUDE 91 MPH AT
CARTER LAKE IN SOUTHERN LARIMER COUNTY...84 MPH ON THE NORTH SIDE
OF LONGMONT IN BOULDER COUNTY...82 MPH AT ROCKY FLATS IN NORTHERN
JEFFERSON COUNTY...AND 81 MPH ON LEE HILL NORTHWEST OF BOULDER.
WIND SPEEDS IN THE FOOTHILLS AND ON THE ADJACENT HIGH PLAINS HAVE
AVERAGED 25 TO 40 MPH SINCE MIDNIGHT.
:yikes: That's some real wind gusts. I've been in Boulder in the past when the gusts were above 120 mph (in fact, I read that the record is a 149 mph gust). Sort like being in a hurricane. It's still howling at my house right now.

edit: I just tried to find out what the record gust is in Boulder and couldn't find the all-time record. Was it 149mph?)

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
xcguy said:
The winds are howling through my neighborhood as I type at about a steady 40-50 mph with gusts it seems above 60-70. There's this constant low howl overhead like an endless train passing through. The sunset is being obscured by the dust kicking up in the open space to my east. I've never felt my house shake like this (I built it tough, you know).

At least it's 55 degrees. If only a guy could plan his ride to go only with the wind...:rolleyes:
Whee!!!! 35 steady and 47 gusts. My kid's basketball court is wrecked. I'll hear about that one today.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/weather

·
The MTB Lab
2,559 Posts
Down in the Springs it was mighty windy also. My neighbors trampoline flew through my yard and over 2 more yards (this is their second one, the last one got demolished in a 90mph+ gust day). I am glad I hammered mine down with big rebar stakes, it was going no where in the ferocious winds. The snow should really get sublimated in this wind today!

·
feel the Force
546 Posts
It was a pretty fun commute in this morning, granny geared on the path! There was one pretty big cottonwood tree that fell near the Foothills underpass. Gonna be a speedy ride home.

·
"Oldfart from Wayback"
1,683 Posts
Still howling in Ft. Collins

lidarman said:
Wind is calming. I'm going for a ride.
NOAA says it should calm in Boulder/Denver and south but keep gusting up north.

I just popped back home for lunch and was surprised by the amount of wind damage I saw on the Southwest side of town. 60-70' long chunks of fences blown down, several roofs stripped of every shingle,etc. I'm glad I got out the last 2 days. ;)

Let it blow, the trails are still a bit muddy from the warm temps.

·
old skool newbie
857 Posts
loving the wind

The commute in to Denver today was the best ride into work in a looongg time. The west to east wind knocked my commute time down from 2 hours to 1.5 and I rode the big gear pretty much the whole way. :D :D My average speed went from 19mph to 27mph.:thumbsup: I am trying not to think about the few spots where I went against the wind, let alone the commute home.

·
hehe ...you said "member"
1,121 Posts
Funny, I live in Green Mtn area and saw fences down, hoops tipped over and even a tree uprooted this a.m., but went up to Winter Park w/ the family today and it was beautiful - low 30's, clear blue sky and relatively calm winds - it was like a spring ski day.

·
Registered
443 Posts
My wife had both of her side view mirrors shattered this AM by blowing gravel at the corner of Hwy 72 and 93. The Jag in front of her wasn't so lucky and lost the rear window and both drivers side windows!!! All the glass blew inside the car and she said the driver was doing everything she could just to stay on the road!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.