Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here it is at Last-Da Ridge. It took me longer than I expected to get the parts and get it built-but it's lovely just the same-I think I nailed the tripleXC-rugged New England trail bike build I was dreaming of- Everything you've heard about Frank the Welder Waddleton, his building acumen and the quality of the ride his frames produce are true. Pure and simple-it's a fact.

Build Kit;
Rock Shock Pike 454 Air u-turn (Getting to be THE choice for xc/all mountain)
Spinergy Xyclone Enduro Wheels (Elegantly Burly-just like the Ridge!)
Race Face Deus Crankset (for the xc geek in all of us)
XO Twist Shifters (Very Cool, very precise and a little different!)
XO Rear Der. X9 Front DER, (Plain old good stuff)
Thompson Seat Post and X4 90mm stem (ah thompson-still the best)
Chris King Silver Headset (No messing around)
WTB Rocket V Saddle
Race Face NEXT Carbon Riser Bar (a little carbon because I'm down with modern, too)
2.35 Nevegal Tires (Stick-E in Front-DTC in Rear-love the grip-we'll watch the sidewalls!).
Avid Juicy 7 Brakes (The baseline of good brakes)
Shimano 540 pedals (solid)

I have two great, rigorous feel out rides on the steed-it is balanced, solid, fun-pretty amazing bikes really-reviews to follow. Sorry about the low-def pics-but trust me, in real life it is stunning in it's rugged presence.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Nice!

I was this >< close to getting a ridge, before I found an awesome deal on my sov. I love my sov, but I sure wish I could have both.

More pics, please.

Ant

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks VT-she weighs in at just a hair under 28 lbs which is a bit heavier than I thought it would weigh (the burlier spinergy wheelset and fatter Nevegals being the main culprits-I thought about the regular Xyclones and skinnier tires-probably save a 1.5 lbs but, honestly-It climbs just fine and still has that trail leveling feel!).

I remember you were looking at the ridge Antonio-but the Evil has the same high-quality local vibe (and the added bonus of 853 steel) as the Ridge-. I looked at the Sovereign as well-but the one-size short seat tube kind of plays to the jump and pump crowd a little more than I'd ever get any use out of-but, DW's first bike company makes some great bikes for sure.

I'll try to get some action photos this weekend at Wendell. Yesterday was another race against the endless stream of wild thunderstorms that have pounded New England every afternoon for two-weeks (thank goodness for those stick-E nevegals-sidewall issues aside-they do grip like no-one's business!)

·
Registered
667 Posts
sweet!
been haggling and thinking and still can't decide if i should get another ht or a fs, (never had a fs), and this is one of the ht i was considering...

more pics and reviews would be great!!!

·
achiever
1,080 Posts
So how's that bad girl riding, Liam? Are you liking the Nevs?

I slapped a set of Easton Havocs (can't beat 1/2 price from Jenson!) with a set of Excavators on my Mongoose. These tires grip! Going to ride some slicker trails in the morning at B-street. I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I've got about 8 long hard rides on the Ridge now-I've messed with the Stem height via spacer addition and removal-I've got it dialed now. And the Pike has more knobs and adjustments than I'm used too as well-but I've got that close to how I want it.

I've already ditched the rear Nevegal-it was a DTC 2.35-frankly-it sucked and is among the worst (!!!) tires I've use-two pinch flats, crappy grip (without the full-on Stick_E compound the Nevegals just squirm and slide, they squirm with the Stick-E compound but they do grip well and don't slide)-I did my first ride today with a new Schwalbe Albert Dual Comound snakeskin on the rear-it's lighter, tougher and has way better grip than the Nev DTC-I've always been a fan of them-the Dual is new-they used to be full on sticky (best in the biz-but they were discontinued) or hard compound. Can't recommend the SChwalbe stuff more strongly-I've always had great luck with it (but, it is expensive).

Few more impressions.-Now I should say that this is the first Hard Tail I've owned ever. And, the Ridge is no cookie cutter bike-it has a unique geometry and riding vibe so it wasn't a hop on and master affair-but I just finished a fantastic ride and feel like I'm really on top of this machine.

1. Biggest surprise-it climbs! it doesn't 'zip' up climbs like my old razorback did, but it digs in and it's remarkable balance and outrageous stiff rear power transfer allow for a smooth, steady ascent up the nastiest climbs in the region (for you locals-I'm clearing stairmaster with ease, backside of the M&M from the lookouts-with well, not ease, but I've done it!).

2. This will sound very particular but New England hard cores will understand-The Ridge has the best slow speed, downhill technical handling-especially when turning-of any bike I've been on. "slow speed downhill technical turning"-well, believe it or not, it's a trail configuration that comes up a lot up this way-the Geometry and general frame resilence makes this a whole lot easier. It's almost auto-pilot easy to stop/ track stand and redirect over nasty terrain-It think that was Frank's main objective when he designed this rig.

3. Turning-the thing rails turns-I was surprised at how well it turns-I figured the slack HT angle would lead to sluggish turning-and in a way it does-like when you're just ambling down a not-too technical piece of singletrack it can shoot wide of the turns if you're not on it-But-when you really lay it over and go for more aggressive turning-it just comes alive-I'm not anywhere near good enough of a rider to really explore the limits of the bikes high speed turning ability.

What don't I like? Well, it is a hard tail and I get more neck and back stiffness post ride than I'm used to for sure. Frank built a lot of dampening and compliance into the frame-but you won't mistake it for a 5 inch travel trail-couch. And, you Gotta stand and hammer a bit more as well-this is a negative and a positive-late in a ride, when your a little worse for wear-it takes a little will power to get your butt off the seat and ride like a man. Also-in technical whoop-dee-do sudden uphills the front will wander and bounce if you're not really focused (again the effects of slacker geometry).

Few thoughts on the build kit: Big thumbs up to the XO twist shifters-I'd never used them-got them on a friend's urging and couldn't be happier-great feel, they're lighter, and look pretty boss.

These kind of bikes really are all they're cracked up to be-check out the comments in the hard tail threads and among Chromag, Transition, Evil, Cotic, etc owners-there really is some magic in that all-mountain hard tail design.

Love that white ridge-nice blue accents as well-dang sharp bikes that Frank Waddleton makes, huh?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well Matt, what do you think now that you've seen the big red bike in action (and got to ride it a little bit as well)??

Great ride today, btw!

And, dogonfr, your right, Da ridge is pimped out enough to graduate from hooker to "Call Girl":D

Though Matt's Mustang is 21 lbs of furious speed dealing menace-and pretty pimp in it's own right!

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
SuperbMan said:
well Matt, what do you think now that you've seen the big red bike in action (and got to ride it a little bit as well)??

Great ride today, btw!

And, dogonfr, your right, Da ridge is pimped out enough to graduate from hooker to "Call Girl":D

Though Matt's Mustang is 21 lbs of furious speed dealing menace-and pretty pimp in it's own right!
Haha nice the Pimp turned out the Mustang there both awesome bikes good to see HT's riden hard. :eekster: :rockon::drumroll::cornut:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.