Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, don't flip the **** out on me. This just crossed my FB feed. I personally don't think it's a bad thing to clarify where e-bikes can be ridden in Tahoe. Many of these trails already allow motorized vehicles, but there are some new "green lights" for Class 1.

My personal thought is this is a good thing and class 1 will be more and more accepted to the point that MTB = e-MTB.

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/m...svvc0_eoU6ryVx1JnGYDWohk9AJAsuzCYiEnT9_7ZhWpU

and the official Tahoe NF website for e-bikes:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/tahoe/home/?cid=fseprd641773

Hopefully it wont, but my guess is this thread will explode into a mass of negative energy and teenage angst from people over 40 years old in 3 ...... 2.......1......

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Klurejr. You made the right call in unlocking. This forum is where this thread can do the most good aka educate people on where they *can* ride their e-bikes in NorCal at least the Tahoe region.

As for the announcement, HitG is the one that is the most exciting to me. My son has rode HitG point to point but we had to drive two cars and set up a shuttle. No way my son could do the full loop. Now?? He rides "e" I ride analog and we both are frickin psyched at the end.

Shot of him right before the ripping decent down Andesite Ridge:

Mountainous landforms Mountain Highland Outdoor recreation Trail

·
Registered
519 Posts
Was in Mammoth earlier in the week. Pretty much showed me that in 10-15 years there won't be many non-ebikes left on the trail. Probably 70% of the bikes I saw were ebikes. And they cared very little about the no-ebike signs on some trails.....

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was in Mammoth earlier in the week. Pretty much showed me that in 10-15 years there won't be many non-ebikes left on the trail. Probably 70% of the bikes I saw were ebikes. And they cared very little about the no-ebike signs on some trails.....
That's exactly why threads like these are so important. Not knowing is a lame excuse but honestly given the dearth of information, currently legitimate.

I was strict "anti" till I rode a e-MTB in Switzerland. Completely shifted my perspective. They are the devil you know, if ya know what I mean :devil:

·
Registered
858 Posts
The reality of Tahoe (from what I've seen, anyway) is: people ride their e-bikes wherever they like. The world seems to be just about the same as before that was a thing. Come outside and play, remember to smile and be nice.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
The reality of Tahoe (from what I've seen, anyway) is: people ride their e-bikes wherever they like. The world seems to be just about the same as before that was a thing. Come outside and play, remember to smile and be nice.
Yeah, it's great now, just wait until they get faster and harder to tell apart from a real bike. All that work to get bikes on these trails will be wasted, they will just ban everything. Most people that go to meetings with land managers etc, don't want bikes on most trials. Thats just how it is. It sucks but its a fact.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Thanks Klurejr. You made the right call in unlocking. This forum is where this thread can do the most good aka educate people on where they *can* ride their e-bikes in NorCal at least the Tahoe region.

As for the announcement, HitG is the one that is the most exciting to me. My son has rode HitG point to point but we had to drive two cars and set up a shuttle. No way my son could do the full loop. Now?? He rides "e" I ride analog and we both are frickin psyched at the end.

View attachment 1267331
Love the start of the DH right there! All sketchy at the top, then throws a pizza trail combo at ya all the way back to the car.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts

View attachment 1267331
Awesome!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
Ripmo
3,455 Posts
I have watched the Dodge/Chevy/Ford Truck horsepower war for 15 years. It will he the same with Ebike Power units. To me, I see no difference between gas motor or electric, its just personal bias that makes people think gas is worse (think tiny efficient 4 horsepower quiet gas motor, not a big motor). It seems electric batteries DO make more sense on bikes? The ebike designs are very stealthy. But I have not tried either. The ebike power war will be the long term problem for trail access, I think. It really is interesting to hear about Mammoth, so we should be aware of how that unfolds in 2-5 years. I assume the results will be unexpected, as in great! I am anti E-bike, as I ride in Bay Area. Sold gear bike, back on singlespeed for last 2 weeks, so I am experiencing an entirely new level of pain and humility while waiting on my new gear bike. Back to Riding SS makes e-bikes seem especially ridiculous and pathetic. Except for the number of DH 's you can bomb in a day! That is always intriguing. I am advanced rider and very fit, but now I have to walk up some sections that I can clear on gear bike. No biggie. Roughster's story about riding with his son is cool too, cant argue with that. I am hopeful that super powerful ebikes do not ruin trail access where I live, its already a struggle. I dont live in Tahoe or the Swiss Alps, or Mammoth.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
Currently the line has been drawn to exclude motor vehicles, but as it becomes harder and harder to distinguish bikes and bikes that have motors they'll simply re-draw the line to exclude all bikes. Or the society will embrace ebikes just like they did for lime scooters....

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.