Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
I consider the Nomad a long-travel trail bike. The ASX is (IMO) much more versatile - - sitting in that gray area between long-travel trailbike and DH. Depending on your build, it can go either way. Build it big and it's a capable DH rig. Build it FR and it's a super-duty trail bike.

Nomad gives up nearly an inch of rear travel to the ASX. Plus it looks weird (but that's a matter of personal taste).
 

·
Stray Bullet
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
The AS-X pedals like garbage while standing. From what I've heard the Nomad is better in that respect.

AS-X is a big hit freeride bike and the Nomad a hardcore trail bike. Really hard to compare to the two or make a recommendation unless you give us details as to your riding style.
 

·
going for a ride
Joined
·
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nagaredama said:
The AS-X pedals like garbage while standing. From what I've heard the Nomad is better in that respect.

AS-X is a big hit freeride bike and the Nomad a hardcore trail bike. Really hard to compare to the two or make a recommendation unless you give us details as to your riding style.
I ride by myself in the middle of nowhere, literally. I don't huck, do drops, catch huge air. In other words, I lack the cajones to do the **** that you see on the videos. There are a ton of trails where I live, I live at 2000m on an average 3800m range of mountains, so a lot of trail riding, steep technical downhills in tight trees, washboard horserutted trails, hardpack, slidy mud, you know the usual mix of am riding. I'm sorry, but the truth is that I started riding about 2.5 years back after being absent from it for about 6 years, and since I live where I do, there are no riders around here, period. So I'm not so sure what kind of rider I am. I just go where there's a trail and a lot of time, barely a trail or none at all, bushwacking and hike-a-bike, while I'm not proud of those skills, come in as a necessity on almost every other ride I go out on.
I'm pretty light, 140lbs with no gear and about 150-155 with gear(yes, I pack as if I won't come down the mountain the same day). I had a RM Slayer, which I took apart yesterday and putting it on sale, because I feel that it's not enough bike for here, mostly because it won't take a coil shock and it's steepish head angle with an 05 fox talas36 on it. I also own a Dekerf Implant, which sports the talas36 now and she looks hot. It's the best ht I ever had, but it's a NECESSITY I have a fs for here. Beat on the suspension, not your back is how I figure it should be.
I hope this sort of answer your question. I just wish I can test ride both of them before I buy. But I live 1500km from the next bike shop in Hong Kong. I'm based out in western China right now, so I hope to get enough feedback from all of you out there who had riding time on both or either bikes and let me know what you think is good and bad of both. I've considered the vpfree as well, but feel it's too much bike for me.
Thanks again for your replies, guys. Hope I can get enough info soon so I can go get a new ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Check your PM :)

1+1 said:
I ride by myself in the middle of nowhere, literally. I don't huck, do drops, catch huge air. In other words, I lack the cajones to do the **** that you see on the videos. There are a ton of trails where I live, I live at 2000m on an average 3800m range of mountains, so a lot of trail riding, steep technical downhills in tight trees, washboard horserutted trails, hardpack, slidy mud, you know the usual mix of am riding. I'm sorry, but the truth is that I started riding about 2.5 years back after being absent from it for about 6 years, and since I live where I do, there are no riders around here, period. So I'm not so sure what kind of rider I am. I just go where there's a trail and a lot of time, barely a trail or none at all, bushwacking and hike-a-bike, while I'm not proud of those skills, come in as a necessity on almost every other ride I go out on.
I'm pretty light, 140lbs with no gear and about 150-155 with gear(yes, I pack as if I won't come down the mountain the same day). I had a RM Slayer, which I took apart yesterday and putting it on sale, because I feel that it's not enough bike for here, mostly because it won't take a coil shock and it's steepish head angle with an 05 fox talas36 on it. I also own a Dekerf Implant, which sports the talas36 now and she looks hot. It's the best ht I ever had, but it's a NECESSITY I have a fs for here. Beat on the suspension, not your back is how I figure it should be.
I hope this sort of answer your question. I just wish I can test ride both of them before I buy. But I live 1500km from the next bike shop in Hong Kong. I'm based out in western China right now, so I hope to get enough feedback from all of you out there who had riding time on both or either bikes and let me know what you think is good and bad of both. I've considered the vpfree as well, but feel it's too much bike for me.
Thanks again for your replies, guys. Hope I can get enough info soon so I can go get a new ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,802 Posts
Since you won't be doing drops, hucks etc.. i'd say go nomad... I've pedaled a nomad and the vpp is leaps and bounds over the as-x for pedal effeciency. The bike is incredibly veristile as well.
I own an as-x and have ridden a nomad on more than one occasion so i can make these assesments pretty accurately.

After reading how you'll be riding i suggest you get a nomad and build it pretty tough... this way the likelihood of busting something deminishes so you don't hvae to take the 1500km drive to the shop for repairs.

I'd say, DHX coil, Talas RC2 or Lyrik coil w/ U-turn, dual rings up from, w/ e.thirteen drs, bombproof wheelset like a mavic 729 or something a tad lighter, juicy 7's or codes (if you can get ahold of some saint brakes then go for those), saint cranks, X-9 derailleurs/shifters etc

also if you start feeling zesty this build can take some drops, jumps and techy DH you can find on any AM/Trail ride.


The as-x is a great trailbike don't get me wrong, but after riding both of your options the nomad was just more fun on trails. For DH/FR thats a whole different story.
 

·
going for a ride
Joined
·
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ryan_daugherty said:
Since you won't be doing drops, hucks etc.. i'd say go nomad... I've pedaled a nomad and the vpp is leaps and bounds over the as-x for pedal effeciency. The bike is incredibly veristile as well.
I own an as-x and have ridden a nomad on more than one occasion so i can make these assesments pretty accurately.

After reading how you'll be riding i suggest you get a nomad and build it pretty tough... this way the likelihood of busting something deminishes so you don't hvae to take the 1500km drive to the shop for repairs.

I'd say, DHX coil, Talas RC2 or Lyrik coil w/ U-turn, dual rings up from, w/ e.thirteen drs, bombproof wheelset like a mavic 729 or something a tad lighter, juicy 7's or codes (if you can get ahold of some saint brakes then go for those), saint cranks, X-9 derailleurs/shifters etc

also if you start feeling zesty this build can take some drops, jumps and techy DH you can find on any AM/Trail ride.

The as-x is a great trailbike don't get me wrong, but after riding both of your options the nomad was just more fun on trails. For DH/FR thats a whole different story.
Hey, thanks for the input. Yeah, I almost made the 1500km trip last week to pick up a Yeti in Hong Kong. Booked my ticket, came home, checked the news and there was rumor of a birdflu outbreak in HK and southern China where I was giong to go through. So the trip got called off. And with this country going on holiday real soon for Chinese New Year, I won't be able to move again till mid March. I might as well wait for the Bullit to come out. Or wait till I get back to Canada and hook myself up with a Knolly, I know, I know, it's overkill for me, but I so want one my fingernails tingle when I think about it. And I haven't even seen one in person yet!!!!
The build you prescribed is almost exactly what I have on my RM Slayer, the e13 drs is in the mail as we speak, but I'm not a shimano fan myself. I did ran Saint hydros on my Dekerf ht and that was the best brakes I ever had, until one day I had an accident and lost all my fluids from my rear brakes and switched over to bb7, not as great as the saints, but I sometimes take my bike on top of Chinese buses, you know, you can always find cable anywhere around here, but good luck with proprietary shimano brake fluid.
Anyways, thanks for putting forward your thoughts on the subject. But with the price of a Nomad only $500 less than a knolly delirium frame, I think I'll save up a bit more, that is unless I go for the Bullit. Decisions, decisions, why do they always have to be this tough?
 

·
******ed or Branded??
Joined
·
2,095 Posts
how about a 575 vs. a Nomad.... what do you think of that??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,802 Posts
You definitely have substancial taste in bikes! I got the chance to throw a leg of the knolly and talk to Noel Buckely about it at Interbike this year. its a super solid frame, a bit on the heavier end.. but its not bad. I'd probably go w. that frame over the 575 and the nomad.. it might not be as light, as nimble etc... but its solid, high quality and most important.. gnarly looking.

that and not too many people ride one YET!, You'd be a trend setter for sure! hahah joking.. sick choice though.

i'd say this is your short list of bikes to test ride, if by some fate defying chance.

Nomad
Delirium
575
AS-X

I'D SAY ALL WOULD ROCK OUT THE BUILD KIT I MENTIONED EARLIER.
 

·
Trying a little
Joined
·
1,781 Posts
both bikes were in use at the fontana race yesterday and if you were there you know the course was gnarly. houseman was on the asx got 3rd in pro. asx dogbone looks wimpy in pics but looks hella strong in person.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,802 Posts
dusthuffer said:
both bikes were in use at the fontana race yesterday and if you were there you know the course was gnarly. houseman was on the asx got 3rd in pro. asx dogbone looks wimpy in pics but looks hella strong in person.
Sick, did you happen to get any pictures or vid?

- ryan
 

·
going for a ride
Joined
·
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ryan_daugherty said:
You definitely have substancial taste in bikes! I got the chance to throw a leg of the knolly and talk to Noel Buckely about it at Interbike this year. its a super solid frame, a bit on the heavier end.. but its not bad. I'd probably go w. that frame over the 575 and the nomad.. it might not be as light, as nimble etc... but its solid, high quality and most important.. gnarly looking.

that and not too many people ride one YET!, You'd be a trend setter for sure! hahah joking.. sick choice though.

i'd say this is your short list of bikes to test ride, if by some fate defying chance.

Nomad
Delirium
575
AS-X

I'D SAY ALL WOULD ROCK OUT THE BUILD KIT I MENTIONED EARLIER.
That's right, too many people have the Nomad, 575 and there's a couple asx's around as well. Plus I do like Canadian manufacturing. I currently own a Dekerf Implant and a RM Slayer. Would like to add another Vancouver bike to my stable, but I probably won't ride the Slayer anymore if I get a Knolly, too bad, but it'll be a nice 3rd bike.
Gnarly looking for sure, I still haven't seen one in person yet, but from the pics on nsmb and their website, I have to say, yeah, it's one sick looking bike. One can always dream.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
1+1 said:
Come on, Yeti fans, share your thoughts/comparisons with me. I'm going to get a new bike, and it boils down to pretty much these 2 bikes. Why and why not? Thanks.
I own both the ASX and the Nomad. The ASX has been set up various ways ranging from a 40 lb 7.5" downhill bike to a 32 lb 6.5" trail bike. It has the 5th Element coil shock. The Nomad has been set up ranging from 30 to 34 lbs. with a 145mm Nixon and a 160mm Fox 36 Talas. The rear shock is Fox DHX 5.0 Air. Both bikes have their strengths, but overall the ASX performance is what works for me. The Nomad was disassembled last Sunday and is up for sale as the ASX is being built back up as a downhill only bike and I am getting a 575 to use as my all around trail bike.

The ASX when set up lighter made a great trail bike and out performs the Nomad for technical climbing and ease of pedaling. I could outclimb most xc riders on technical climbs, keep up with them on the single track, and smoke them on the downhills.

The Nomad made rocks and drops on the downhills disappear. And with the Fox fork on it, would roll up and over boulders that I was sure would stop me dead and throw me over the bars. On climbs with embedded rocks, I could shift up a gear, stay seated, and spin my way to the top while the others were down shifting and struggling to keep going. Technical climbs with step ups were a real problem for me as the bike is made to be ridden from the center and I would always lunge the bike forward to get the rear wheel up a step. I would lose traction every time. On the single track it stuck to the ground like glue, but always seemed very heavy and slow even at 30 lbs.
 

·
Five is right out
Joined
·
3,176 Posts
1+1 said:
Hey, thanks for the input. Yeah, I almost made the 1500km trip last week to pick up a Yeti in Hong Kong. Booked my ticket, came home, checked the news and there was rumor of a birdflu outbreak in HK and southern China where I was giong to go through.
Ah, so you almost made it to Flying Ball? :)

They seem to be doing a roaring trade in Nomads, judging by the number I've seen about HK.

Hmm... I haven't heard any mentions of bird flu in the vicinity though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
A shop in Beijing is selling Yeti's

Hey 1+1,

No need anymore for you to fly down to HKG, the Windspeed bike shop in Beijing is now selling Yeti's as well. Have not seen the ASX there yet, but they have the 575's and ASR's in stock and at same prices as in Flying Ball. Depending on your (chinese) negotiation skills you might come out even cheaper there. Surely they could order the ASX...

Service wise they are good, they just repaired today my RP3 shock under guarantee (seals were blown) - in fact it was the FOX mechanic just passing by...but at least it means that they are on the mountainbike map...:thumbsup:

Greetings from Beijing.

PS: I am not sure whether it is because of the global warming, but it is great biking weather for this time of the year here..
 

·
going for a ride
Joined
·
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I almost made it down to HK, on about 22 Jan. I booked my tic, came back, checked the news and heard rumors of avian flu. Full denial by the government, of course. But it only takes a denial by any government to make it a fact, as we all know.
On a more serious side, guys, I've decided to give up on the ASX and the Nomad. They both seems to be very nice bike, just a bit popular. A few days ago, a guy from Knolly bikes contacted me and said they they could ship one out for me. So I'm seriously considering a Knolly Delirium T. Mainly because I'm a poser and don't really need one. But also because no one here has one, yet. I know it's super expensive for a frame, close to 3 grand CDN, but I'm sure it'll be very well worth it. But it all depends on my money situation. Another bike I'll seriously consider is the new Bullit, it's got everything missing from the more pricey Nomad, iscg tabs, optional floating brake kit, optional 135mm thru-axlw, though the last option I'll probably don't need, but tabs and floating brake would be nice on an sp design. I don't really care much for vpp. I care for plush, doesn't matter what the design is and no brake jack.
beijingnuff, thanks for the info, I actually talked to some guy who's connected to them, they run 2hmtb.com site, sort of like the Chinese version of mtbr. I didn't ask them the name of the shop but they do have yetis and get get asx, I think it's about 1000rmb more than HK, but the trip would cost the same anyways from where I am at.
What kind of riding do you have around bjg? Kinda curious, but I don't think I'll ever go there again in the near future, but if you're in Yunnan, give me a shout. Thousands of kilometers of trails and nobody riding them. I'm putting up with the China factor just to ride here, it's that worthy.
And yes, global warming works, places that used to be cold in the winter are getting warmer and places that used to be warmer are seeing snow. And the summers would be even more crazy. And with more Chinese having cars.......we're doomed. Ride your bike, that's the best thing we can do for our planet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
dusthuffer said:
How do you get 7.5" of travel out of the ASX ... thanks...
It's actually 7.3". I have the 2004 with the 5th Element 5 way 8.5" eye to eye shock. It can be set at 6.5" or 7.3". The 2001 - 2003 use a 7.875" eye to eye shock and had less travel. The new models have now gone to a Fox shock and I believe they only get 6.4" and 7.1".

I think that the 5th Element must get more travel out of the shock because the older Santa Cruz Bullits also had longer travel when set up with the 5th Element compared to the Fox Vanilla that was available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
the riding in Beijing itself is...well...

suicidal! Unless you are fully harnassed, have the kind of luck that makes you win the big lottery on a weekly basis, or want to develop the lungs of a chainsmoker it is not really recommendable. So, it makes sense to put the bike on the car rack and drive to the mountains nearby. The riding there is ok, but it is hard to find real off-road tracks as everything is being asphalted these days. My favourite is still Xiang Shan - not too far from the city and the climbs are challenging. In fact, there is quite a big mountainbike group here in Beijing - the MOB - coming together every Saturday morning and ride between 60 to 90KM. A nice bunch of people who just love the ride.

Anyway, I am moving to Shanghai next week so let us see how the mountain bike scene down there is. Just another concrete jungle... so probably I will end up driving to Hangzhou pretty often..

Where are you exactly in Yunnan? I do envy you having all those trafficfree mountains around you...

Cheers
Nuff
 

·
going for a ride
Joined
·
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Beijing is not my favorite place on the planet either, for the same reasons you stated. I heard of MOB. Shanghai is probably more concrety than Bjg. Good luck.
Yeah, I'm here for the riding. Also a good place to raise my kids, for now. I'm in Dali and don't envy me when I say I have singletrack 3 minutes out my front door and the climbs go about forever and so do the descents. Only problem is that this terrain eat bikes and parts.
Give me a shout if you ever decide to make it down here for a riding holiday. CNY is a good time to get away from the cities.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top