Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ASX shallow dropouts work w/ Saint Hub?

Does anyone run saint with there asx. I wasnt sure if it work since the drop out on the right side is so shallow. The hanger is what makes the dropout completely full so I am not sure it would be very secure. Please respond only if you have experience in this.

Thanks.

D

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tomyboy said:
i run a 135x12 hub with a problem solver saint axle. Works fine so far though I really wished Yeti would make a better dropout system like the Bottlerocket or the new Bullit
Is there a difference between the problem solver axle and the saint axle?

·
Ami Schwein
304 Posts
I got the answer I guess the Saint hubs come with a 10mm. Could i run a med cage rear derailleur without problems? Sorry for the bonehead questions not really to good with the drive train stuff.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
k-stein said:
I got the answer I guess the Saint hubs come with a 10mm. Could i run a med cage rear derailleur without problems? Sorry for the bonehead questions not really to good with the drive train stuff.
derailleur cage length depends on the gearing you are using. Mids are generally fine if you aren't running a triple crank. They also can work with three chainrings, but not every gear combo will work (big/big, small/small), and I'd be a little concerned about chainline growth on the ASX (I've seen a few "jra" derailleur failures caused by too short chains (necessitated by short derailleurs) and suspension compressing - the chain pulls on the derailleur as the suspension compresses).
Ok so the point of that was make sure you get your chain length right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been riding 05 ASX with saint hub(135x10), axle & deraileur for over a year now (FR & trail riding) and no problems with rear wheel comming off or somthing like that. It holds together.
I often land sideways on jumps and no problem, except I broke my rear axle(the one that rolls on bearings). To much abuse I guess.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, I sorted this out. I couldn't understand how you could run the saint w/ the naked dropout. What everyone forgot to mention that runs saint on an asx is that you need to
keep the hanger on to allow the proper spacing and circumference for the axle to lock
correctly withing the frame. Now it works like a charm:thumbsup:

·
No e-drama please!!
142 Posts
I squared my dropouts deeper with a small wheel grinder bit on my drill to fit my Woodman Bill Extreme Bolt-on hub which is 15mm slotted for 10mm dropouts,but still have to grind somewhat.
Just make sure they are both even & re-check your wheel dish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.