Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
MTB SOCAL
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of building up a long travel trail bike that can handle jumps and is a reasonable weight for climbing. The Yeti ASX is one of the bikes I'm considering. Any ASX owners have their bikes set up with 6 inch SC forks and 5th element / Ti spring? Do you know how much the frame weighs? I think it's around 9.5 - 10 lbs. How much does your bikes weigh and how does it climb? Would you buy an ASX again? Thanks.

·
shaved yeti
430 Posts
asx, good bike?

ASX is a good pedalling bike in the saddle, but if you're hammering forget it! With the ti spring you'll be closer to 9lbs. I run mine with the BO plus (170/130mm). And ride 130 when I ride XC or dirt jump.

ASX isn't my first choice for either.

When you say "jumps" what do you mean?

·
Registered
33 Posts
my 2 cents

I've had my ASX for a couple of months now and love it. I use it for cross country, freeriding and downhilling. I think it weighs in at around 38 lbs, I can't keep up with the hammerheads but I don't ride XC that way anyway. I put my time clipless pedals on and switch out the tires for XC and I can keep up with most of my riding buddies. For an all around trail/freeride/downhill bike I would hightly recommond one. One thing to note, the slack head angle does make for tough climbing if it gets really steep.

·
all day long
212 Posts
i've have an 02 asx w/ 03 xtr and a fox vanilla 125 rlc - setup w/ 6 inches in the rear and 5 inches for the front. i just recently swapped out my xtr wheelset for a heavier duty cheap xt/sunrhino wheelset. my xtr's were getting bashed up - and way too much wheel deflection for hard freeriding. the cheapo xt set has been bomp proof and alot of fun to ride.

anyway, here's my opinion. i use this bike everywhere - it's my freeride bike, cross country bike, downhill bike, jump bike, road bike - meaning, i use it all the time. with full xtr (except the wheelset), it's about 32 lbs. w/ 2.4 panaracers and alot of stan's. this bike has been to mammoth, snow summit, noble canyon, and most recently north star. my bike kicks ass. it eats everything up, it's somewhat svelte, it climbs awight - but i'm not racing crosscountry so who cares.

i'm sure there are other choices...but you asked in a yeti forum

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.