Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm looking to upgrade the 03 super T on my ASX. The key choices seem to be 66 RC2X/SL, manitou travis 180mm intrinsic, and Fox 36 Van RC2. I'm leaning towards to the 36 at the moment becuase of the weight, and reputed stiffness/damping performance. I use the bike for FR/DH and some jumping, and am spending 2 months in whistler next season. I'm very light, 60kg, so all the forks are easily strong enough!

Anyway, any comments from any of you who run these setups much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
I'm running a Sherman Breakout plus on my AS-X and I love it. You still get 7" of travel and can drop it down to 5" for climbing. It is also very light at under 6lbs. I have a 36 Vanilla on my 6 Pack but haven't gotten to ride it yet. The thing with going to a 36 from a Super T is you are going to steepen your head angle a bit since it will be a shorter fork. You need to determine if you want a fork with a shorter A/C height and then go from there.

·
shaved yeti
430 Posts
I know Yeti is sending asx's out with vanilla 36. I'm not a huge fan of it though. Seems to me 170 is the answer to the asx. 66 at 170mm is 5mm longer than a 36, so the steering can't be extremely different. I rode a travis fork a couple of months ago, and it is very nice as well.

I think you can't go wrong with any choice (except for maybe the 36 Van, which gets rave reviews from everyone but me...).

If you have your druthers, go with a fox 40 and put it at 170mm.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bonkey said:
I know Yeti is sending asx's out with vanilla 36. I'm not a huge fan of it though. Seems to me 170 is the answer to the asx. 66 at 170mm is 5mm longer than a 36, so the steering can't be extremely different. I rode a travis fork a couple of months ago, and it is very nice as well.

I think you can't go wrong with any choice (except for maybe the 36 Van, which gets rave reviews from everyone but me...).
Just wondering what you have against the Van 36?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a 36 van on my asx. I am very happy with the performance, but.... It does seem to blow through the travel quickly and doesnt ramp up before bottoming. I am still in the tuning phase though. I have the heaviest spring available in there, and the preload maxed out, and i am only 215lbs. It does give me the sensation of being overdamped in general, but like i said, i am still tuning and it may still need some break in. It is pretty supple as well.

a friend of mine just got a travis, i personally havent riddend it more than about 1 mile, but it is incredibly supple at the top end of travel, and it ramps up in deeper travel really well. He has only had it for 2 rides so we will see how it lasts.

·
shaved yeti
430 Posts
sampo said:
Just wondering what you have against the Van 36?
I haven't ridden an RC2 yet, but the regular 36Van is really soft about the first 10mm and then the damper kicks in, I just don't like the low speed compression on it. That's all, other than that, I think it handles everything else pretty well.

Anyone want my Van36? :D ;)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
170mm Zoke,but that's what you've got!!!

I'd go for a 66, but it won't be a huge difference over what you're running.

For the all around ride the 66 light with ETA is the hot ticket.

Since yer using it for DH/freeride and Whistler fo for a fork that will resist bottoming.

I've got an 888 170 right now and it is excelent for this bike,but i want a 66 Light so it will climb.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts