Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
going for a ride
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the verge to choose between ordering an ASX or a Nomad here. Heard good things about both. The ASX is definitely winning in the price category. But also heard a few things about brake jack? Is it that big of a deal? I do ride a lot of unpredictable rocky bumpy terrain. Any comment/input/why,why not to get one appreciated.

·
going for a ride
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's funny

Yetifan said:
Never found it too much of an issue.

i'm sure its there, but its not like you have an accident everytime you touch the brakes.

Andrew
Andrew, thanks for the feedback. That's hilarious the way you put it. But I do have accidents anyways, not always the bikes' faults, though. I'm soul searching right now, it's hard to choose between 2 great bikes. Price plays a factor, but ultimately it's the ride. Really wish I could test ride both before buying. Anyways, I will announce the winner when the time comes.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
1+1,
I am considering an AS-X as well. My Enduro Expert can give me some brake jack at times and that is with the "FSR" rear end that Spec people seem to love! I plan on using it as a rough trail bike in the Mtns with some steep drops and downhill as well. Really rocky here in Northern AZ. Just hoping I can build this bike up below 36 lbs with 7" front and rear. I think brake jack is there to some extent on all bikes, some better than others. Good luck!

·
going for a ride
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tls36 said:
1+1,
I am considering an AS-X as well. My Enduro Expert can give me some brake jack at times and that is with the "FSR" rear end that Spec people seem to love! I plan on using it as a rough trail bike in the Mtns with some steep drops and downhill as well. Really rocky here in Northern AZ. Just hoping I can build this bike up below 36 lbs with 7" front and rear. I think brake jack is there to some extent on all bikes, some better than others. Good luck!
tls36, been checking out your other posts as well on this forum. I hear you, I'm in the same boat as you. It's a pain to choose the "right" bike, nothing's perfect. I say go Knolly if you can afford it. I'll choose that route if I was in Canada right now, wait, I'll be riding powder if I was.

·
Registered
47 Posts
brake jack

I have an ASX and a Cannondale Gemini and ride in Germany (realy rocky trails), The brake jack on the ASX is so much better then the gemini, I can tell a big differance between them.

I love my ASX and cant wait to get on it again (broke the rear swing arm replaced waiting for mail.) I have never rode the Nomad but so many of my friends have rode my ASX and they love the way it rides.

Craig

·
Registered
47 Posts
I dont know how it broke I am not a hucker or anything like that, I ride small jumps 3 ft or so a bunch of rocky trails and some shore. here is a picture of it but it looks like a hot knive cut through it. LBS has never seen one like this or has the people on yetifan. It took me about 20 minutes to find it when my tire was rubbing the inside of the swing arm, I thought I tore up the rim. But Yeti replaced it and when it comes in I will ride one of the best riding bikes I have ridden.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeti_n_Germany said:
I dont know how it broke I am not a hucker or anything like that, I ride small jumps 3 ft or so a bunch of rocky trails and some shore. here is a picture of it but it looks like a hot knive cut through it. LBS has never seen one like this or has the people on yetifan. It took me about 20 minutes to find it when my tire was rubbing the inside of the swing arm, I thought I tore up the rim. But Yeti replaced it and when it comes in I will ride one of the best riding bikes I have ridden.
It seems to break always at the same point. Some picture I found on pinkbike:

The hole above the axle has been made a lot smaller and more material has been added to add strength in newer versions, If you look closely to the picture you can see this. I think Yeti changed this on the 2005 models and above.

I hope you will get the newer swing arm.

Z.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I've been on my 05 asx for almost 2 seasons now and cannot praise the bike enough for its geometry, balance and very well-designed travel. It's not as glamorous as the VPP system, but the simplicity of the yeti rear end translates into a very balanced and consistent ride. I ride mostly freeride and downhill, with frequent shuttle runs and trips to whistler. Even while brakes thru square edged bumps and rooty/rocky sections, the asx does a great job keeps its rear end under control and traction at a maximum. I've ridden DW bikes, 4 bar (& faux 4 bar), VPP and other single pivots in comparison. Although there is certainly technical merit to other designs, i could not be happier with the fantastic balance that the asx frame provides. Its more than supple enough to soak up big drops and technical dh, while also light and balanced enough to be an agile jumper and a stable climber. SC is a great company, but yeti has the service and craftsmanship that make any owner proud.

Go with the as-x, just be sure you ride enough bikes to appreciate just how great the frame really is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.