Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have an '03 ASX with the 5th element coil and a 600lb spring cause i am 215. I think i am experiencing a slow failure. It seems as though the shock has become way overdamped on SPV/rebound.

I have max volume, and lower pressure, little compression damping. I have tried to minimize the rebound damping, but it seems to take about 3 seconds to fully return to extended, most of this time is at the end of the stroke, where the spring force is minimal, but i still have plenty of preload.

The shock is starting to feel really dead on the bumps, but does still work, maybe it is just heavy on the SPV???

The degradation in performance seems to be really slow, almost as though it has taken years, this did not happen overnight.

Has anyone else experienced a problem like this???? what did you do?????
I am thinking DHX???? any opinions????

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Suspension componnents need occasional service, just like every other part of the bike. I would send it to Progressive for a rebuild.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea i know it should be serviced.... I just want to be lazy.

·
shaved yeti
430 Posts
Diesel_Junkie said:
Yea i know it should be serviced.... I just want to be lazy.
Send the 5th back. I have nothing but problems with them. The bad thing about DHX is that you gotta send those things back when you have problems, too.

Anyway, the ratelink for a DHX is a little different; you'll have to take a dremel yours, so the rebound knob will clear the ratelink. If you got any questions about that just ask....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a DHX on the way now.... I gave up hope on the 5th. Mine is a 2003 model so it has the shorter shock.(7.875" x 2.25").

I do have the rate link upgrade kit on it, so it has the big bearings and such.

Please let me know where it has to be clearanced, and also if the clearance is for the compressed or extended position. It would suck if i found out the hard way it had to be done for the compressed position.

Do you know if any bushings or other hardware needs to be swapped with the DHX conversion??

Pics. Please!!

Thanks,
Chris,

·
shaved yeti
430 Posts
here it is

I can't get the files to upload, because they are too big. You'll see when you put the DHX on, it won't even start to fit. you just need to trim both inside edges of the ratelink. About the width of a nickle (1/16") the whole length of the ratelink. You can double check it by putting the link on the shock and rotating the link 90 degrees.

Kong

p.s. if you want the pics, PM me your email address or just shoot me an email....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the shock on there no problem, Looks like the rate link upgrade i got a year ago was designed to work with the DHX. The nob is hard to reach though.

bonkey said:
I can't get the files to upload, because they are too big. You'll see when you put the DHX on, it won't even start to fit. you just need to trim both inside edges of the ratelink. About the width of a nickle (1/16") the whole length of the ratelink. You can double check it by putting the link on the shock and rotating the link 90 degrees.

Kong

p.s. if you want the pics, PM me your email address or just shoot me an email....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts