Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
Nice! Bike theifs got a one way ticket to hell just like people who don't put their shopping carts in those carts corral along with folks that park in handicap stalls that don't have any handicap at all or tags.

They say that a U-Lock is better than cable. Would anyone have a good insight as to why. I need a lock for my pick-up so I was thinking of getting a cable lock but if they say a U-lock is better then I would rather do that. The only thing is I have to figure out a way to lock the bike to the truck bed with a U-lock????

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
doodooboi said:
Nice! Bike theifs got a one way ticket to hell just like people who don't put their shopping carts in those carts corral along with folks that park in handicap stalls that don't have any handicap at all or tags.

They say that a U-Lock is better than cable. Would anyone have a good insight as to why. I need a lock for my pick-up so I was thinking of getting a cable lock but if they say a U-lock is better then I would rather do that. The only thing is I have to figure out a way to lock the bike to the truck bed with a U-lock????
Where have you been?

U locks are good. Both locks are better.

·
Registered
527 Posts
a U-lock is tougher to cut then a cable or chain, but if you google U-lock pick you will see a dozen or more videos that show how to open them with a pen. If your truck has some kind of tie-down system in it try and utilize it and a cable or chain to go through the U-lock. Again this can be cut but it should deture the average grab-and-run person.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
ttocs said:
a U-lock is tougher to cut then a cable or chain, but if you google U-lock pick you will see a dozen or more videos that show how to open them with a pen. If your truck has some kind of tie-down system in it try and utilize it and a cable or chain to go through the U-lock. Again this can be cut but it should deture the average grab-and-run person.
That's only for the U-Locks using cylinder keys.

Mine doesn't.

I usually use both a U-Lock and a contractor's grade steel cable & padlock.

·
Meatbomb
7,451 Posts
For my truck bed, I use fork mounts bolted to the tool box and locking skewers. I would never leave it alone for long periods of time but it's good for that run into the quicky mart for a pee while traveling .

Attachments

·
pedaller
2,400 Posts
ASU police, armed with a decoy bicycle, were on campus pursuing a different subject suspected of stealing student bicycles.
Crooks are everywhere.

Bike locks just keep honest people honest. Bad guys can get around locks. Never be too confident with your security system when your pretty bike is visible to bad people...

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
KavuRider said:
That's only for the U-Locks using cylinder keys.

Mine doesn't.

I usually use both a U-Lock and a contractor's grade steel cable & padlock.
4 yrs ago?ish u-lock offered a recall and went to using keys. I leave my bikes on my rack at work all day, with at least 2 locks, usually 3. And I have a good insurance policy for replacement value.

·
Tucson, AZ
2,980 Posts
chollaball said:
4 yrs ago?ish u-lock offered a recall and went to using keys. I leave my bikes on my rack at work all day, with at least 2 locks, usually 3. And I have a good insurance policy for replacement value.
3 locks? I leave mine outside my classroom with no lock. Anyone that gets close to it, I just yell Spanish profanity at them and that seems to scare them away. It gets them away from the bike and teaches them Spanish, a double bonus :thumbsup: You should look into learning Spanish, especially since you go down to Pto Penasco so much.

·
livin' the dream......
1,938 Posts
I've left my bike locked only via the fork mount lock a few times in downtown Phoenix for hours, thankfully no issues.

I was burned once many years ago in CO when the only thing not locked down was the rear wheel. I came out in the morning, it was gone.

·
Banned
860 Posts
I've had my Quadra-Chain & Lock for over a dozen years. Both attempts to steal my bike were unsuccessful. I did get a slight scratch on the chain. I also own a Panzer Lock I use with another hardened steel chain, and an On-Guard chain and lock. My friends bike was locked next to mine with a cable lock and in the morning, his beautiful Pugsley was gone and his cable was cut in two. Mine was leaning against the camper with the Quadra-Chain securing it to the camper frame. Nice bikes deserve equally pricey security.

Last three listens

Lake Sumerset by Deerhunter
First Wave Intact by Secret Machines
Hearing Voices by Galaxie 500

Attachments

·
dirt visionary
6,505 Posts
That's just the first article I found. It still applies as I was able to do it on a newer one recently.Had to show my buddy he wasn't safe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts