Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found the bike, I need to own (I think). I cannot find anything on them, besides a few numbers, and the fact that they are available, but noone has them. Anyone ride one at Interbike, or elswhere? I'm a Cannondale single pivot guy, and this fits my newfound 29er, need a SP, FS, bike jones. Thanks!

S

·
0 Posts
I believe...

That someone on this forum had posted a ride review about it. Maybe not, maybe it was somewhere else that I came across it (perhaps the result of a google search?). Anyhow, I remember someone saying that it was flexy in the rear end, kind of like SC Superlights of old were flexy in the rear.

I think it's a great looking bike too, really had me fired up for a while but I think I want to run a hardtail again.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Monk?

I'm thinking about getting one. Last ride review here on the forum said it was not a noodle, not mega stiff, but plenty rigid.

I called Astrix and they said the shipment should be in Jan or Feb.

29erchico

S

·
0 Posts
Well...

29erchico said:
I'm thinking about getting one. Last ride review here on the forum said it was not a noodle, not mega stiff, but plent rigid.

I called Astrix and they said the shipment should be in Jan of Feb.

29erchico
I hope my memory failed me, for that would be a great 9'er dually!!! Guess you'll have to get one and let us know!

Course, we could wait for the new Fisher single-pivot 9'er to come out too, what's it called? Supercal was it? Tell ya, getting old and the memory is gone!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Here is a link to the most recent Astrix Monk thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=145820

I would like to try one. I can't justify it since I already have a Sugar with roughly the same travel in the rear but the Monk looks like it would be a bit stiffer. I read somewhere that a 29" wheel will fit a Santa Cruz Bullit frame. Now that would be a fun bike!

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Astrix sounds like the perfect bike for a butt man.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
finnlander said:

I can't justify it since I already have a Sugar with roughly the same travel in the rear but the Monk looks like it would be a bit stiffer.
The techs at Fisher admit that the Sugar 29er's have only 3.5" rear travel. So the Monk has a full inch more travel than your Sugar has. I agree, if it was only a half inch difference, if Fisher was giving out the right spec's, it would be no big deal.

I'm also wanting to get into a more durable platform. Both the front frame and the swingarm on my Sugar have been replaced so far. Took Fisher 2 months to come thru with the swingarm. If my LBS had not been able to loan me a swingarm I'd be even more disapointed with the situation.

I was told that my replacement front frame was improved and the cracked TT problem would no longer be an issue. This was in May. Just about a month ago, Fisher announces yet another "fix" for the TT problem. We will have to see...

Love the way the Sugar rides, but it really was not made to last very long judging by the large number of failures reported on this forum.

29erchico

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
I am so behind the times, whats the newest definition of butt man? Or were you trying to be mean?=:)
I was simply playing off of the unfortunate brand name (astrix/ass tricks) and no meanness intended. You may find more info. on this if you do a google search, me thinks.

·
16,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
finnlander said:

I would like to try one. I can't justify it since I already have a Sugar with roughly the same travel in the rear but the Monk looks like it would be a bit stiffer. I read somewhere that a 29" wheel will fit a Santa Cruz Bullit frame. Now that would be a fun bike!
Sweet thanks for the heads up! The big difference is the single pivot, (duh). All the other ones out there are multi pivot/linkage bikes, and they ride like it. I love the bottomless arching feel of a good single pivot. Think I just found a new friend!

·
16,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Axis II said:
I was simply playing off of the unfortunate brand name (astrix/ass tricks) and no meanness intended. You may find more info. on this if you do a google search, me thinks.
Oh I get it, golly I'm slow, thanks for turning on the light!

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
slow afternoon..

Don't worry.. I didn't get it the first time through either...

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Sweet thanks for the heads up! The big difference is the single pivot, (duh). All the other ones out there are multi pivot/linkage bikes, and they ride like it. I love the bottomless arching feel of a good single pivot. Think I just found a new friend!
Look at the above link...it's not a true single pivot (not to take anything away from the bike)

·
Bicyclist
2,849 Posts
bigwheelboy_490 said:
Don't worry.. I didn't get it the first time through either...
Me neither. Dare I say the only ones that "got it" are somewhat "butt" oriented?
:D

The Monk looks sweet though. I'll be interested to hear from more owners about how they ride and hold up.

·
16,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
toddre said:
Look at the above link...it's not a true single pivot (not to take anything away from the bike)
How do you mean? It has a single pivot point. There is a linkage that allows the actuation ratio to remain constant (as compared to ones without, were it typically ramps downward), but it is contained within the swingarm, and does not have any control over the swingarms movement. Mind you, I'm not being feisty, just stating what I've learned, and what my eyes tell me. Any thoughts, do you understand more about how the link will make it ride differently than a normal single pivot? Thanks!

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Supercal?

The new Raceday Supercal is a 3" rear travel bike. If Mendon wants that bottomless feeling in the rear suspension, I don't think he is going to find it on a 3" travel bike.

29erchico

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
29erchico said:
The new Raceday Supercal is a 3" rear travel bike. If Mendon wants that bottomless feeling in the rear suspension, I don't think he is going to find it on a 3" travel bike.

29erchico
Good point.

My thinking was...FS...check...29"er...check...SP...check...

I wonder if anyone has actually checked the travel of the Monk to see if it is getting the full 4.5"?

It will be interesting to hear how the Raceday actually feels from a few people for sure.

LP

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
RaceDay 29 Super Caliber

I spoke with FisherGuy today and got the latest on the 29"er Race Day. It is slated for release in June. It is a RACE oriented bike, which in Trek's suspension bike jargon equates to a 3" travel bike. The Astrix is more of a trail bike. The Super Cal is being tested by the Subaru/ Fisher race team, and is intended for racing. Fisher has incorporated many of the things that they learned about the 292's/293's short comings and have addressed those things in this new platform. Elevated chainstays will eliminate chain jam. Double pass welds are being used to "gusset" high stress areas to alieviate frame failure. The ride characteristics are being fine tuned so that the handling is optimised for the 29 inch wheel. They are putting forth alot of effort on this new design.

The Astrix is a bit of a different animal, as far as intended use. Again, more of a "trail" oriented bike. Not that you couldn't race it, it's probably going to be more plush than a Race Day bike. I am just judging from the geometry and the way they have that suspension designed. You probably could get your hands on the Astrix sooner, if that Jan/Feb delivery proves true. Good luck on your choice! Happy trails!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have an 03 293 with the sybil link which on the 29x Sugars gave a bit more travel. I haven't actually gone out and measured it though. Other than a broken spoke, I haven't had any problems with it - yet. In general I think Trek and Fisher make a good product but with the volume they sell there is bound to be more problems too. From what I've read on the DH/Freeride board the Astrix frames get decent reviews.

QUOTE=29erchico]The techs at Fisher admit that the Sugar 29er's have only 3.5" rear travel. So the Monk has a full inch more travel than your Sugar has. I agree, if it was only a half inch difference, if Fisher was giving out the right spec's, it would be no big deal.

I'm also wanting to get into a more durable platform. Both the front frame and the swingarm on my Sugar have been replaced so far. Took Fisher 2 months to come thru with the swingarm. If my LBS had not been able to loan me a swingarm I'd be even more disapointed with the situation.

I was told that my replacement front frame was improved and the cracked TT problem would no longer be an issue. This was in May. Just about a month ago, Fisher announces yet another "fix" for the TT problem. We will have to see...

Love the way the Sugar rides, but it really was not made to last very long judging by the large number of failures reported on this forum.

29erchico[/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts