Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in building a wheelset from scratch for my Asta. What rim/hub/spoke combo would you recommend. Keep in mind it's my first attempt at wheel building, so I don't want the best of the best. Just good, durable, light (er), and reasonably priced. Links to products would be appreciated. Easy maintenance hubs a plus. FYI, I find the Novatec hubs are easy to service.

Thanks!

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
If your going to take the time to build your wheels you might as well go fer it and build a quality set within your budget.I have used allot of WTB wheel sets they are durable but they cant seem to eliminate the side play. My son has a Sun Ringle DH wheel sets that have seen the UCI and NORBA wars 10 years ago they are still rolling and holding up great with only a bearing change on each set. So now I am going back to Sun products for wheels. :cornut:

http://www.spadout.com/c/wheels/

http://www.sun-ringle.com/

·
Registered
467 Posts
These are a good quality start. I'd shop for these parts on dog's Spadout link for the best deals.

Hubs: Hope Pro 2 Disc
Rims: Mavic 317 Disc
Spokes: DT Swiss Competition 2.0/1.8 or Revolution 2.0/1.5 (w/ alloy nips)
Rim Tape: Velox

The hubs are very solid and should last a long, long time. The rims are very affordable while still being XC oriented. The spokes are top-notch and pricey, but will save you a good deal of weight being double butted. At 160lbs, you could easily ride the Revo's. I would tie & solder these, too!

Disclaimer: You will save a good deal of money (and frustration perhaps) by purchasing a pre-made wheelset. However, you will have a lot more satisfaction building and riding your own.

Good luck and let us know how the build goes!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just ordered a bunch of stuff from Cambriabike.com--25% coupon expires today (details on their home page).

I'm 200lb ride weight, mellow XC.
For my Trophy HT wheelset (used the spokescalc length calculator at dtswiss.com and double checked with a couple of other online resources):
(Prices are before the discount)
[Disclaimer: this will be my first wheel build too!]

Attachments

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
Good luck on the build! just remember to take your time and have everything laid out in order before you start.
I usually make 2 trays so I have one for each bunch of spokes. Drive/non drive side.
Make sure you use some kind of grease on the spoke threads too. Not just any grease either. I like to use Anti Sieze grease. Cheap at an auto parts store.
I pre grease each spoke at the threads and carefully wipe off the excess. You don't need much.
Also, I made a spoke driver using a cheapo $2 phillips screwdriver. Use a grinder to grind away 2 of the 4 blades and make a tab on the shaft using electrical tape. That way you can count each revolution that you turn each nipple. Do them all the same amount, and as you start to get closer to tension, use less rotations. To the point where you are doing no more than a 1/4 turn each nipple. Once you get really close to tension its time for a truing stand and a good spoke wrench.
It's easy to get good results if you take your time.
Another tip is to never let go of the spoke you are working with. Even go as far as marking it with a tab of masking tape in case you need to put the wheel down, you know where you left off. And always work with the wheel in the proper orientation, ie drive side right, disc side left.
Edit: Oh Yea!
it helps alot to pre grease the holes on the rim from the inside using an old spoke and nipple threaded on backwards. Apply some grease on the nipple flange and insert into the hole. This keeps the nipples from freezing onto the rim over time, and aids in smooth nipple driving.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
MiniTrail said:
This is a subject that I have been both interested in and fearful of for some time and I would like to know if there is any good video or other freely available instruction via the internet that another former noobee to this can recommend as a confidence builder. I have done "good enough" repairs to trashed wheels while waiting replacements where I had nothing to loose but stopped short of building new wheels out of fear of failure.

The satisfaction feature of rolling your own really appeals to me. I like the way you put that rsv. Not saying I'm ready but it looks like something a feller might need someday.
Come around bro you know you can build if you want to learn, me I refuse, mrperc has tried an failed yet learned and can build and true wheels now, I can now true but not build since his help dang kids. :thumbsup:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp?catid=56&imageField2.x=36&imageField2.y=13

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/index.htm

http://www.ehow.com/how_14174_build-bike-wheel.html

·
Registered
76 Posts
The DT spokescalc is very cool--it will show you the weights of different options. If I had gone 2.0/1.7/1.8 triple-butted it would save 30g per wheel. If I had used aluminum nips instead of brass it would save 22g per wheel. (I wanted the extra strength and corrosion resistance of brass.) A 36 spoke count would add 25g per wheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.