Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Chillin the Most
Joined
·
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey kiddies, just curious what is the tire clearence like on the Asta? Could you fit a Kenda 2.35 in there with good clearence? My next XC/AM rig needs to fit a Small Block 8 2.35.

I'm stuck between the Asta and Atlas, I like the effeciency of the Asta with the 2:1 leverage ratio, tighter more snappy travel, quicker handling and somewhat lighter weight, but tire clearence is also a must. I know the Atlas has gobs of clearence, but not sure I need a 5" travel bike for SoCal trails. Most stuff in OC for XC is pretty tame and if I need to go bigger, I always have my Big Hit. I just want a bike that will climb as well as descend equally.

Thanks.
 

·
Chillin the Most
Joined
·
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mrpercussive said:
it should fit... I've seen an Asta with a 2.35 Maxxis Highroller with room to spare... Kenda's cant be that much bigger then the Maxxis...
Sadly, Maxxis 2.35 = a Kenda 2.1. Maxxis tires run about a whole size smaller. Thanks for the info though, that does help. Seems the Atlas is going to be the way to go.
 

·
Cuánto pesa?
Joined
·
7,823 Posts
Go to the source........

red,
Send Will at IBEX tech support an e-mail > [email protected] or call 770-569-0606 :thumbsup:

EDIT: I stand corrected :p This E-mail and phone number are for customers that already own an IBEX...
For information: > [email protected] :thumbsup: Sorry to misinforming the masses :madman:


Jake :ihih:
red5 said:
Sadly, Maxxis 2.35 = a Kenda 2.1. Maxxis tires run about a whole size smaller. Thanks for the info though, that does help. Seems the Atlas is going to be the way to go.
You already have the Big Hit, so maybe the ASTA would fit better in your stable :D

Nobody owns a tape measure :madman:
 

·
Chillin the Most
Joined
·
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Jake Pay said:
red,
Send Will at IBEX tech support an e-mail > [email protected] or call 770-569-0606
Jake
Jake,

While this is a wonderful idea in theory, it appears that Tech Support doesn't like to return emails or answer phones!!! edit: After speaking with Jack, it appears Tech support is very busy and isn't designed to answer emails/calls from perspective buyers, instead they are there to deal primarily with existing customers. So I would recommend all perspective buyers don't waste time with calling or emailing Tech, go straight to the source and call Jack directly at this number 1-888-741-1464.

So if anyone else would like to chime in I would greatly appreciate it, lots and lots. :D Meanwhile, I'll keep hoping that this little glitch I've experienced is in no way a sign of what I can expect for service after I've bought my bike. :rolleyes:
 

·
Cuánto pesa?
Joined
·
7,823 Posts
red5 said:
Jake,

While this is a wonderful idea in theory, it appears that Tech Support doesn't like to return emails or answer phones!!! :madman: :madmax: :madman:

So if anyone else would like to chime in I would greatly appreciate it, lots and lots. :D Meanwhile, I'll keep hoping that this little glitch I've experienced is in no way a sign of what I can expect for service after I've bought my bike. :rolleyes:
This is the number to Ibex 1-888-741-1464, Jack will most likely answer :thumbsup:

Jake :ihih:

EDIT: :rant: I cant believe with all the ASTA riders out there on line, no one will go and measure the inside distance between the chain-stays.......
 

·
Chillin the Most
Joined
·
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jake Pay said:
EDIT: I cant believe with all the ASTA riders out there on line, no one will go and measure the inside distance between the chain-stays.......
!!!WERD!!!

I'll try the other line, thanks. :thumbsup:
 

·
Company CSR
Joined
·
1,027 Posts
red5 said:
...it appears that Tech Support doesn't like to return emails or answer phones!!!
We're not going to be able to give a definitive answer on fit for particular tire models. We just are not going to have "hands-on" with a lot of different tires other than the stock ones or the occasional test tire. With the Asta those will all be 2.10's. Even there the actual tread width will vary since tire widths are based on the casing not the tread. We can only give you the chainstay or seatstay width at the wheel-well. For the 2007 Asta frame the seatstay is the liniting factor at 72.5mm (about 2.85").

The Tech Helpline and Tech email support is really intended for customers needing help with existing bikes. Pre-sale questions directed there have to take a back seat. During the winter months Will is only avialable for Tech help on Monday, Wednesday and Friday... and that is wedged in between several other duties including sheparding frame development programs and a dozen other issues that inevitably come up. I apologize if we are a little slow getting some replies out this time of year, but a little patience should pay off.

Thanks,
Jack A.
IBEX Bicycles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
I am in OC and have an 06 Asta. Just drop by and give me a set of Kenda 2.35 tires. I will let you know if they fit... someday... :p
 

·
Chillin the Most
Joined
·
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ibexbikes said:
We're not going to be able to give a definitive answer on fit for particular tire models. We just are not going to have "hands-on" with a lot of different tires other than the stock ones or the occasional test tire. With the Asta those will all be 2.10's. Even there the actual tread width will vary since tire widths are based on the casing not the tread. We can only give you the chainstay or seatstay width at the wheel-well. For the 2007 Asta frame the seatstay is the liniting factor at 72.5mm (about 2.85").

The Tech Helpline and Tech email support is really intended for customers needing help with existing bikes. Pre-sale questions directed there have to take a back seat. During the winter months Will is only avialable for Tech help on Monday, Wednesday and Friday... and that is wedged in between several other duties including sheparding frame development programs and a dozen other issues that inevitably come up. I apologize if we are a little slow getting some replies out this time of year, but a little patience should pay off.

Thanks,
Jack A.
IBEX Bicycles
Cool Jack thanks for the help, much appreciated. :thumbsup:
 

·
Chillin the Most
Joined
·
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dcairns said:
I am in OC and have an 06 Asta. Just drop by and give me a set of Kenda 2.35 tires. I will let you know if they fit... someday... :p
If it were not for your seedy undertone, I would have said yes to meeting up to see if the Small Block fits but now.....I'm just scared. :eek: j/k
 

·
Cuánto pesa?
Joined
·
7,823 Posts
red said:
For what it's worth it appears that a Kenda 2.35 is a possible no go. What to do.
:madman:
:madman:
:madman:
Jack said:
For the 2007 Asta frame the seatstay is the liniting factor at 72.5mm (about 2.85").
Sounds like an "O'hell yeah" to me :thumbsup:

Jake :ihih:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
red5 said:
If it were not for your seedy undertone, I would have said yes to meeting up to see if the Small Block fits but now.....I'm just scared. :eek: j/k
LOL, Unless it is too wet, it looks like the gang I ride with (mostly other 40somethings) will be doing El Morro this Saturday morning. PM me if you want to see an Asta in person. We could even try the Kenda tire out for fit after the ride.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top