Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Asta ride fun, update 07/03

Took the Asta out for a short ride today to see how the ribs hold up. After being off for about 4 weeks the single sprocket up front & to short a seat post was'nt nice to me going up hill. Once at the top the single track zigzaging through the hill side was feeling prety good. I have been spoiled by 6 inch travel 39.65 pound Blitz. The rear end felt rough after a nice rock garden section checked the o-ring & was using about 1/2 its travel, ouch. I had 240lbs in the main chamber & 50 in the SPV, ya i know this isnt a FR shock either. Loose silt type hard corners i found the 2.1 WTB Exiwolfs to be a tad skinny for my taste, they didn't like hard agressive cornering. Hit some smooth twistys & the tires felt much better & it was very easy to get speed through here. Hitting a very steep high speed DH type run i wasn't feeling confident in the rear shock set up but didnt have a shock pump with me. Had 28 psi rear & 27 psi front for the tires, droped the front a little for the DH run. Well made it to the bottom but definatly need to run less air in the rear, get some 2.35 Maxxis HighRollers & a 8 inch rotor for the front. The frame is rock solid pushed it through a hard right hander & slid the front end for about 2+ feet, yehaww, the bike was solid it slid then hooked up without a glitch or a twitch, sweet. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Hey there Dog,

Sounds like the ASTA's frameset is AM worthy.:D .Glad to hear your up and around..:D

Yesterdays weather report claimed 127degrees in DV..When I got back from my 3hr ride I checked the temp out on my porch..:rant: 133 @ 11:00AM :madmax: ..No wonder both bottles and the cam-bak where dry..If this keeps up I'll have to start my Sunday rides at 5AM..:idea:

Never the less, us 3 desert RATs still :lol::lol::lol: and had great time of it..(1crash-:yikes:)

Jake Pay, POWERED by SRAM Here..:ihih::yesnod::smilewinkgrin::winker::lol:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Pay Here said:
Yesterdays weather report claimed 127degrees in DV..When I got back from my 3hr ride I checked the temp out on my porch..:rant: 133 @ 11:00AM :madmax: ..No wonder both bottles and the cam-bak where dry..If this keeps up I'll have to start my Sunday rides at 5AM..:idea:
Yikes! :eekster: Making me feel like a wimp for fading out when the temps get into the high 80's out here in (coastal) SoCal :p

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pay Here said:
Sounds like the ASTA's frameset is AM worthy.:D .Glad to hear your up and around..:D

Never the less, us 3 desert RATs still :lol::lol::lol: and had great time of it..(1crash-:yikes:)

Have to do some more work but it has potential. That frame is frigin solid so far. :thumbsup:

Any body want some 2.1 WTB's free!!!! PU in nor Cal 415 or 510 area :)

You better start packing the 5 gal water bottle on your back, dank i went through 90oz water in the bag & 1 1/2 bottles driving to the ride & home & it was only about 95. Hopefully it was a gracefull getoff, you sound like quite the ballerina :rockon:

·
Wizard of the Trail
912 Posts
I would take that weather in a heart beat, as long as it is dry. All its been doing in pa is raining and the humidity is killer. I can't get much riding in and I am sick of swamp as$!

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Been there, done that!

Geist262 said:
I would take that weather in a heart beat, as long as it is dry. All its been doing in pa is raining and the humidity is killer. I can't get much riding in and I am sick of swamp as$!
:cool: I know what you mean about PA..I lived in Clearfield and Curwensville PA back in the early and mid 80's:D

I'll take the desert any day..:lol: or night!

Only 118 today:madmax: ..6/27/06 :lol: but its still early...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wow, I also lived in Clearfield....that is quite a coincidence considering how rural the area is.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pay Here said:
:cool: I know what you mean about PA..I lived in Clearfield and Curwensville PA back in the early and mid 80's:D

I'll take the desert any day..:lol: or night!

Only 118 today:madmax: ..6/27/06 :lol: but its still early...
Only 118 thats weak sauce :eekster::eekster:

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another fine outing for Asta, droped the rear shock to 200 psi & was able to go through a little over 1/2 it's travel, getting closer!! The 2.4 WTB Moto Raptor on the front is much better than the skinny 2.1 XC tires & a Maxxis HighRoller 2.35 on the back. The WTB is a little more of a round profile than i am used to but much better traction. The bike felt much better at speed doing fast decents but im shure when the rear is dialed proper it'll really shine. The Black fork is kinda funky running 55psi in the left leg but im shure the spring is to soft sinc it can blow through the travel in a heart beat, got my heart beating when it twisted & went into a tank slaper. Still needs a 7 or 8 inch rotor up front, with the rear getting closer to proper air pressure the confidence grows but the brakes dont. I have to remind myself im not on my Blitz. The 1X9 gearing is definatly challenging, either i will get stronger or i will add a front derailleur, i think the derailleur is going to win. :rockon: :D

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did the same loop, droped the rear shock to 185psi & using 3/4 of the travel now. The Asta is really starting to shine in the corners it loves to be pushed. I found if you roll around then pedal it is not very happy, if you come in outside pedal down hit then pedal the rear hooks up solid & it launches out. Kind of a moto style, use the throttle to come off the apex. The high speed fire road section is getting better with the rear shock settings getting closer, not as fast as the Blitz though, something about 6 inches of travel soaking up deep rain ruts. Ribs are feeling better so if i can escape the family tommarow i think i will see how Asta likes some gnarly DH stuff. :ihih: :D

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Droped the air in the rear shock to 175psi, fork 50psi, front tire 25psi & rear tire 27psi. The rear is so close now, next ride maybe 160psi. For trail riding the Asta is flawless, my XC lungs are poor especially pushing a 40T front sprocket up hill. Railing switch backs & twisting trails the Asta is very happy especially peadling off the corners hard. Took it on a DH trail to see how well it could handle more agressive trails. The first section is flowy with a floater jump then into 2 inch silt & 6 inch ruts left off camber through a rooted stair section, roots are 2-5 inches deep, up a small climb back down through more ruts, silt & roots down a almost 2 foot ledge to a hard right hand turn. Well through this sesction the Manitou Black showed it's weakness, it was getting slamed & bottomed pretty bad & my arms took a beating from the lack of fork. The Asta with a XC rear shock was doing fine. The worst section coming up off a short high speed straight away hook a left & down a loose rock, boulder, silty, rutted, rooted & washed out section & the Black went into stress mode almost put me on my head, yehaa, took it easy down this section since the fork was definatly not going to work properly. After a twisting section back to the fire road that i climbed up. Asta really loves fast fire roads, hit the rocky section & bounce off them for a little air, Asta thinks that is fun. :cornut::cornut::)

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
DOG, it sounds like

ASTA's having to much FUN..:lol:

Glad to hear your getting it all dialed ln..:thumbsup:

Jake Pay, POWERED by SRAM Here...:ihih::yesnod::smilewinkgrin::winker::lol: ...:rant: ..XO..ROCKs...:prft::ciappa: :lol: ...

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pay Here said:
ASTA's having to much FUN..:lol:

Glad to hear your getting it all dialed ln..:thumbsup:

Jake Pay, POWERED by SRAM Here...:ihih::yesnod::smilewinkgrin::winker::lol: ...:rant: ..XO..ROCKs...:prft::ciappa: :lol: ...
Ohh ya Asta is becoming a happy bike. Need to get a better fork though with the riding i plan on doing with it. The 4X & mild DH plans might have to wait till next year unfortunatly, too many nightmares comming up this year & it just started. Asta will be getting a Downieville ride this year, hopeing to get all the parts sorted out by then or else i will let my son riding it there, he is lite enough for the Black fork & i'll stick to the Blitz. Thanks for the good words!!:thumbsup: :cornut::rockon::drumroll:

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
glad to hear that it held up well. I really like the asta, got the chance to ride a complete bike asta about a week ago on a local trail, guy wanted to try the zone. Ibex had did it again. I'm so happy that they have managed to put out almost perfict bikes for the money.

been thinking of building an AM/XC hardtail just getting the alpine frame. its like $165.99 or something like that?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.