Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i figured i would write up what my experience so far as been with Ibex.

I got the bike in the 1st week or two back in January and so far haven't been jumping for joy. It came just as the sticky thread had said it would and i put it together following all the directions.

Because it was frigidly cold out in most of the time i didn't get to go out and play with it till about two weeks ago. I rode it down my driveway and into the parking lot when i then lifted my left foot and the crank-arm had come completely off the bike. I walked it down to the LBS since i didn't have the right size tools available. They took a look at it and the aluminum bolt that is used to hold the arm on was completely stripped. Like there were no threads left on the top 1/2" of the bolt.

The only way i could see this happening is whoever put on the crank-arm sat there and kept cranking until steel bottom bracket destroyed the aluminum bolt. I gave a call over to Ibex tech support and they said send an email, however i never got a response. It took 3 days of consecutive calling before i learned they were going to send out a new bolt.

Since the bike was sitting at the LBS and since they offered to fix up the crank arm for free, i figured i might as well pay for a full checkup. They had found some other minor problems like the rear dérailleur hanger was bent, wheels were untrue, disc brakes weren't seated properly, and some other minor adjustments that needed to be done.

All in All, i still think the price was a decent price for the components, however if someone were to ask if i recommended Ibex, i wouldn't give them a yes or a no. I still have yet to see how the bike rides but i picked it up from the shop Wednesday. It is supposed to be 20 deg out again this weekend, so not sure if i will have a chance.

I'm sure not everyone's experience is like mine, but that is how te cookie crumbles i guess.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Bummer

Sorry to hear you had so many issues with the bike. Hopefully once they get resolved, the bike will prove to be the ride we know it to be. Not much consolation for the experience you had, but perhaps when you look back on this a year from now, your assessment will be much stronger and decisive one way or the other.

Bob

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
IamShakes said:
Well, i figured i would write up what my experience so far as been with Ibex.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
All in All, i still think the price was a decent price for the components, however if someone were to ask if i recommended Ibex, i wouldn't give them a yes or a no. I still have yet to see how the bike rides but i picked it up from the shop Wednesday. It is supposed to be 20 deg out again this weekend, so not sure if i will have a chance.
I'm sure not everyone's experience is like mine, but that is how te cookie crumbles i guess.
Wow, sorry to hear of your dilemma with your bike and weather..
The LBS that did all your repairs sounds like a real score..
Hopefully the weather will warm up and you'll get a chance to ride..
I'll be looking for your ride report :thumbsup:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:ihih:>>Jake

·
Registered
739 Posts
IamShakes said:
Well, i figured i would write up what my experience so far as been with Ibex.

I got the bike in the 1st week or two back in January and so far haven't been jumping for joy. It came just as the sticky thread had said it would and i put it together following all the directions.

Because it was frigidly cold out in most of the time i didn't get to go out and play with it till about two weeks ago. I rode it down my driveway and into the parking lot when i then lifted my left foot and the crank-arm had come completely off the bike. I walked it down to the LBS since i didn't have the right size tools available. They took a look at it and the aluminum bolt that is used to hold the arm on was completely stripped. Like there were no threads left on the top 1/2" of the bolt.

The only way i could see this happening is whoever put on the crank-arm sat there and kept cranking until steel bottom bracket destroyed the aluminum bolt. I gave a call over to Ibex tech support and they said send an email, however i never got a response. It took 3 days of consecutive calling before i learned they were going to send out a new bolt.

Since the bike was sitting at the LBS and since they offered to fix up the crank arm for free, i figured i might as well pay for a full checkup. They had found some other minor problems like the rear dérailleur hanger was bent, wheels were untrue, disc brakes weren't seated properly, and some other minor adjustments that needed to be done.

sorry you had a bad experience ... That is the first one in a long time I have heard.
And I am suprised it tool ibex 3 days to respond, unless you first called on saturday.

keep us up to date ...

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Yeah.. I didn't even buy their product and they responded to my call within 10 seconds of ringing. Anyways, I think the bent rear derailler hanger and untrue wheels are common of Bikesdirect bikes as well, so Ibex having them is no big suprise. Its shipping's fault, not the company's.. it should have been easy to spot these things.

The crank thing is just unfortunate.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Stuff like this happens with bikes bought at shops as well. The difference with Ibex is that if someone has a not so great experience, it's much more likely to get posted on the internet! Sounds like you found a pretty good LBS though...they would certainly get my money if they were willing to fix the crank on a bike for free, especially since they did not sell you the bike!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Another take on it...

One aspect of the mail order vs. LBS bike is that the shop will gets bikes with the same problems you encountered. Regardless of brand. They get the bikes in a much less assembled condition as well. The difference is they intercept and correct these things prior to display on the floor. Bent hangers are VERY common (there designed to bend). Improper crank assembly? I don't no. Are these things a deal breaker for the consumer to pocket some savings? Can't say for others. For me... no. Then again, my Asta's crank was assembled proper. The DR hanger was bent ( small amount) though I didn't notice it as it was shifting fine. I only noticed it while comparing my bike to my buddies on the trail. A new one was shipped right away. Btw, buy an extra hanger to carry on the trail.

For me, my purchase was one of the best deals I've encountered in a long time. That said, yours was a bit tainted. Hopefully all has passed and your going to enjoy a really great bike.

--
Bill

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
sorry to hear about your experience. it'll never be as bad as when I worked for my LBS. we got like 4 Giant bikes in that didnt have cranks. try selling that to the customer. I think that stuff like this is going to be common on all brands of bikes. I've seen worse stuff on brand new blur's and prophets. for the most part, ibex usually has much less problems than a bike that you'll buy from your lbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.