Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Thanks to everyone for there help with my last thread. It looks as will be ordering the Asta as my choice and I am excited. I havea few questions:

clipless pedals, i have never riden with them what it the advantages as well as what will I need as far as shoes. Also am i better off getting used to the bike with flats and can i order with flats and upgrade once I get used to the bike.

Assembly, what is the assembly and how difficult

The air shocks how do you dial in and know what is right?

I am sure i will have many more however wanted to askl pre purchase these few questions

Thanks everyone for the help

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
Good choice................................

07' ASTA Comp X7
Happyhours1 said:
Hi,
Thanks to everyone for there help with my last thread. It looks as will be ordering the Asta as my choice and I am excited. I havea few questions:
Your making an excellent pick :thumbsup:
This bike has a fantastic drive-train. Your getting SRAMs new 07' X7 group, the shifters and rear derailleur are from the same blue-prints and materials as the 06' X9's. The front derailleur is all new for 07' and I've yet to hear any bad reviews. The AVID BB7's are considered number 1 in the mechanical disc brake field.

Happyhours1 said:
clipless pedals, i have never riden with them what it the advantages as well as what will I need as far as shoes. Also am i better off getting used to the bike with flats and can i order with flats and upgrade once I get used to the bike.
You'll need shoes, the best bet is to purchase them at your LBS. Proper fit is very important.
Clipless pedals allow you to get the most power out of the energy spent on every rotation of the crank. I'm sure there's a more scientific way to explain it.
:lol:
Happyhours1 said:
Assembly, what is the assembly and how difficult
Piece of cake :thumbsup:
Directions and the necessary tools will be shipped along with the bike. Should you run into a problem, just contact IBEX tech Support..
E-mail (click>) [email protected] or call 770-569-0606..They'll walk you through it..:D

Happyhours1 said:
The air shocks how do you dial in and know what is right?
This is a subject that I'm still learning so I'll have to leave this to those in the know :D
Happyhours1 said:
I am sure i will have many more however wanted to askl pre purchase these few questions
Thanks everyone for the help
Bring it on :lol:

Good luck :thumbsup:

Jake :ihih:

EDIT: Component owners manuals will also be provided :D

:rant: PICTUREs,
don't forget the
PICTUREs :incazzato:​

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,793 Posts
For dialing in the shocks, it's all about personal preference and the terrain and riding you're gonna be doing. For trail riding you're gonna want like a 27.5 - 35% sag for some of the rocky stuff and just general riding. For XC maybe a little stiffer to help with the pedaling and for DJ and some FR you definitely want to bump it up a little to be able to take hits and not bottom out. As for rebound... it has to rebound fast enough to be able to take the next hit but not too fast as to throw you off your bike. As for propedal thingies, thats just down to personaly preference... some people hate it... some people love it...

Dont you just love airshocks??? XD

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
More info

Glad to see you've made your choice. I think Jake and mrpercussive have adequately addressed the issues of dialing in your suspension and what the advantages of clipless pedals are. For more info on what it takes to assemble the bike when you receive it, check out the Sticky Thread at the top of the forum entitled "What to expect when you order an Ibex". RCook did a very nice job of walking you throgh his experience putting the bike together.

Please don't hesitate to ask more questions here if anything arises.

Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bike is here. Any advice on building besides the instructions on the sticky. Also haow about adjusting the shocks and derailers
:) :) :) :) :)

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,793 Posts
sweet... post some pics when you're done... :)

the derailers and brakes and stuff are usually already adjusted... but no harm checking anyways. As for shocks, you're going to have to adjust those yourself to fit your body weight. look for 25% - 30% sag on the rear shock if you're gonna be doing XC. Less sag if you're going to be doing big hits. More sag if you're smooth and doing DH or AM.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Stick to the directions

Read through the directions and the sticky thread. My best advise is to put everything together, but DON'T tighten everything up until the bike is completely assembled and you're sure everything is right. Then go and tighten every bolt on the bike, including those you didn't install yourself.

As for the fork and shock adjustments, read the manuals on how to set things like sag and rebound. If you don't undertsand the instructions or otherwise need more help, then come back with a post with all your needs. I'm sure we'll be able to help at that point.

Congrats, and welcome to the club!

Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had my first ride bike is great. I am still confused how to set the front and rear shock? does anyone have an idiot guide to set up. I am 195lbs if this helps. ALL help is appreciated. Also it seems as though the shifting needs to be adjusted or I need to get used to as it shifts smooth yet does not always seem to go right into gear???

Thanks for all the help and I will let you know afer a big ride tomorrow and figure out the shocks.

:thumbsup:

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Call Ibex

Happyhours1 said:
Had my first ride bike is great. I am still confused how to set the front and rear shock? does anyone have an idiot guide to set up. I am 195lbs if this helps. .

:thumbsup:
Check Ibex web site as the is a tech support hotline. Call them and see if they can give you a hand. A general good place to start is to adjust the "sag" of the fork or shock. Make small adjustments to the preload knob or air pressure (owners manual should show you this) so that when you sit on the bike, the shock or fork compresses approximately 25% of it's travel. If you find the fork too stiff, back off the preload. Too mushy, add preload.

The rebound adjustment is something you'll have to play with on the trail. Too much rebound and it feels like a pogo stick. Too little and it "packs up" or feels stiff when you go through areas that have "washboard" type terrain (lots of small bumps in succession, like the surface of a washboard).

I hope this helps in pointing you in the right direction.

Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts