Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, ladies.

I was cleaning out my basement when i chanced upon my first ride which i had spent hours flippin burgers in college to save up for.

It's a Cannondale SE1000, and though it's been almost 16 years since i last rode it, it still feels nice and solid after i tuned it up/changed the wheels, etc.

Here's a pic, courtesy of Cannondale's vintage site link:
http://www.mombat.org/1991_Cannondale_SE1000.htm

So, one question here:

The fork i have here is rigid, and i would like to install a sus'ed front fork to support the additional 20 pounds i have put on from college.

I understand that this frame takes a different dimension of front forks, not the usual diameter from today's bikes.

Can anybody provide the dimensions of the front fork for me, (80mm, or 60mm???) and possibly some recommendations for a good front sus-ed fork for this frame?

appreciate the help!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
826 Posts
It will cost too much money to change the fork. In order to do that you would need a new front brake, lever, cable, headset in addition to the suspension fork itself. Even if you put an inexpensive $100 suspension fork on the front, it would cost you another couple hundred for parts and labor on the other stuff.

You would be far better off just buying a new $500 bike instead. Seriously. Don't even think of upgrading your bike.

Keep your present bike as-is. I still have a 1994 Cannondale in Viper Red with the canti brakes, 1 inch quill headset just like you. Still rides great. Even ride it some.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Some people don't understand the nostalgic value of a bike like that. I have a '94 M300 that I rode all over when I was in Germany, I turned it into a commuter bike now. I don't think you can find a "modern" suspension fork that would work, though I may be wrong on that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you

dear all,

thanks for the help... hmmm.. true, i never did think of the additional headset, brakes, etc etc... sigh...

reason i was hoping for a front sus, is because of my shoulders. (had surgeory there) So, doctor did advice something to take away the shock.

So i guess there's no way we can do this without swwapping the front headset huh... :madman:

·
Registered
826 Posts
trev2401 said:
dear all,

thanks for the help... hmmm.. true, i never did think of the additional headset, brakes, etc etc... sigh...

reason i was hoping for a front sus, is because of my shoulders. (had surgeory there) So, doctor did advice something to take away the shock.

So i guess there's no way we can do this without swwapping the front headset huh... :madman:
If your shoulders hurt, get a really wide handlebar, maybe with a little sweep to it, say 5 degrees or so. That will take alot of pressure off your shoulders.

A suspension fork really will not soak up that much in the way of bumps and chatter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
apacherider said:
If your shoulders hurt, get a really wide handlebar, maybe with a little sweep to it, say 5 degrees or so. That will take alot of pressure off your shoulders.

A suspension fork really will not soak up that much in the way of bumps and chatter.
True... thanks! :thumbsup:
(searching the wts threads now)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.