Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got back into mountain biking a couple of months ago. I used to ride a ton, ran a shop, etc, but that was close to 20 years ago.

I got a set of wheels built up to celebrate losing the 20 lbs I wanted to lose (and also decided to lose another 10lbs). The bike came with DHF front and Dissector rear. The DHF had great grip when it was leaned all the way over but lacked some grip on intermediate turns when it wasn't leaned over far. I figured I'd put an Assegai on the front for the new wheels.

While the Assegai is better when not leaned fully over, I feel like it lacks the ultimate grip that the DHF had. I've had it slide a little in corners that I hadn't experienced with the DHF. Not big washouts, just sliding an inch or two towards the outside of a corner.

I doubt I'm going faster since than I was on the DHF since it's only a few weeks apart now. It could be the feel of the wheels are different, I went from a fairly heavy Giant rim to a derby carbon rim.

Am I the only one who notices this? Me being nuts is always a possibility.

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have lots of miles in on both tires. What is your rim width? Wheel size? What is the rubber compound, casing and tire width for each of the DHF and Assegai?
Wheel size is 29.
New rim is 30mm internal width, I'm honestly not sure what the stock rims were but I assume similar.
Both tires are exo, the Assegai is max terra, the DHF isn't marked. Giant lists them as 3C but the tires aren't marked max grip/ terra etc.
Both are 2.5 wide (wide trail) tires.

· Registered
20,209 Posts
Wheel size is 29.
New rim is 30mm internal width, I'm honestly not sure what the stock rims were but I assume similar.
Both tires are exo, the Assegai is max terra, the DHF isn't marked. Giant lists them as 3C but the tires aren't marked max grip/ terra etc.
Ehhh, it could just be your local soil conditions too. I'd use whichever tire seems to perform best on your terrain and makes you feel the most confident. Go with your gut.

· high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
I've had lots of time on both tires and I think the Assegai is grippier. Are you using the same rubber compound and casing on both? MaxxGrip is stickier than MaxxTerra.
Great minds think alike ?

I agree with this OP. All things being equal, I have found the Assegai to be slightly grippier. But there is a price to pay… ?

My terrain is dry, rocky, rooty tech.

I don't find an issue with cornering on 2.5 DHFs on a 30mm rim. I notice a small bit of traction loss before fully leaned over on 27mm rims. There is no loss of traction on the Assegai, when not fully leaned over. The Assegai is rock solid for me in pretty much every situation you throw at it. And it's better in the wet than the DHF (for me at least).

Both are fantastic front tires. I'd run either and be delighted. In fact, I do. And I am!

· high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
Wheel size is 29.
Doesn't this generally mean the DHF is dual compound? That is how my Aggressor is marked. That, of course, makes no sense when you say that the DHF is grippier.

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One possibility that just occurred to me is that I'm not leaning the Assegai over as aggressively as I did the DHF since the Assegai has better intermediate grip.
The DHF felt a little lacking on intermediate leans, but great once leaned over aggressively.

I'll pay attention to this next ride and try and lean the bike more aggressively.

· high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
I've run basically every tire on the front and the AssyGuy is my favorite. It is totally solid when tipped all the over and is super consistent in between.
That's where I am. Assegai/Dissector on my go to FS. I'm running MaxxGrip/MaxxTerra and could probably materially decrease my RR if I went to MaxxTerra/DC. While I pay the price on the climbs, the grip on the downs is addictive.

One thing I will throw in. It's not really on point so apologies…

I have tried all these tires now in DD, EXO+ and EXO and am shocked at how differently they all feel. It's almost like they are different tires entirely.

As I dropped in casing burliness, the damping dropped HUGE. That may be obvious to some/most of you but I did not appreciate how significant it was until I tried it on the same bike and wheelset.

If I could handle the weight of the DDs, I would ride them year round, forever, on basically anything blue and techier. Those things gripped much better than the EXO+, and made me want to smash things. The quality of my ride, weight aside, was a lot better on the DDs, including the climbs (again, weight aside). No more pinging off anything. They laughed at whatever was in front of them, and begged for more. They made my suspension (36 with GRIP2 and Luftkappe, and 11-6) feel much more dialled.

I need to get stronger so I can handle the DDs on the climbs in my area. I LOVED the DD MaxxGripp Assegai. My God was it good.

For me though, I think EXO+ strikes a reasonable balance, at least unless and until I get stronger climbing. I do not like walking up (or down) anything, or feeling so gassed at the summit that I have no gas left in the tank to toss my bike around on the downs.

And yes - I know that there are a lot of contradictions in what I wrote. It's the best I can do right now to describe things.

Back to the discussion at hand…DHF vs Assegai.

· Registered
145 Posts
The Magic Mary’s ride great for about a minute. Then they start shedding side knobs like a moulting goose. Continentals hold up a bit better but aren’t as good mid lean or as versatile in my opinion. Solid tires though. The ethirteens are also nice either up front or rear but wear fast and aren’t as predictable as a front. They are sloooowwww though.

· Registered
1,288 Posts
I find assegi has better grip than DHF (both exo, both 2.5) in all situations. the assegi feels like it rolls a lot slower when not bombing DH although I haven’t done any sort of testing to back up that feeling. I have ridden many DHFs over the years and am still on my first assegi

· high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
The Magic Mary's ride great for about a minute. Then they start shedding side knobs like a moulting goose. Continentals hold up a bit better but aren't as good mid lean or as versatile in my opinion. Solid tires though. The ethirteens are also nice either up front or rear but wear fast and aren't as predictable as a front. They are sloooowwww though.
That was my experience with Schwalbes as well. I gave up after shredding the crap out of a number of them. Knobbies ripped straight off after 2 or 3 rides.

The e*13s I had almost sucked the life out of me. Waaaaaaay worse than the DD MaxxGripp Assegai.

So same experience with you with the e*13s too.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.