Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Comparing the Assegai with the DH casing and the one with the Double Down casing, on paper the only difference I see is that The DH version has 60tpi whereas the DD version has 120tpi, and that the DH version is 29g heavier.

Have any of you guys ridden both, and if so could you tell a difference? Are there any differences in design or construction that don't show up on paper, such as knob size or anything like that?

Text Parallel Number Screenshot Document

·
Registered
723 Posts
I am running DH front and DD rear. I only have a couple rides in with em but they look identical mounted on my rims. So far I am a pretty big fan of em. They are extremely sticky on the rocks and moon dust I've had em on. I did have the front wash out on me the other day but I am thinking it blew out the trail so really not the tire's fault. These might replace the DHF/DHR2 combo I've loved for so long.

·
Registered
18,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am running DH front and DD rear. I only have a couple rides in with em but they look identical mounted on my rims. So far I am a pretty big fan of em. They are extremely sticky on the rocks and moon dust I've had em on. I did have the front wash out on me the other day but I am thinking it blew out the trail so really not the tire's fault. These might replace the DHF/DHR2 combo I've loved for so long.
Cool, thanks for replying. Your setup is interesting with the DH in front and the DD in the rear. I would have thought the opposite would be the setup since the rear gets pinch flatted more easily. Do you typically run a heavier duty tire in front?

·
Ka-coo-ka-cha!
551 Posts
Assegai EXO+ maxx terra in front has been money for me (bought it since the EXO was not available). Are you riding DH or just want the 3C maxx grip?

Also, there is now a trail version DHF EXO/EXO+ in 3C maxx grip, but I'd still go Assegai for the transition knobs. No more drifty, just grip.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Cool, thanks for replying. Your setup is interesting with the DH in front and the DD in the rear. I would have thought the opposite would be the setup since the rear gets pinch flatted more easily. Do you typically run a heavier duty tire in front?
I actually got the tire to replace my dhf front and found a deal on the dh casing. Once I got it I like the tread and wanted to try it as a rear which I always run DD on so that is how it happened.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
I've given this some thought already and have come up with this. Maxxis says that the 60tpi casing is less supple but more durable than the 120tpi. For a DH bike I'd stick with the DH out back. Maybe some folks could get away with the DD up front. Might grip better, but still more fragile than the DH.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've given this some thought already and have come up with this. Maxxis says that the 60tpi casing is less supple but more durable than the 120tpi. For a DH bike I'd stick with the DH out back. Maybe some folks could get away with the DD up front. Might grip better, but still more fragile than the DH.
I've got the DD Assguy and I wouldn't characterize it as fragile at all. Slightly less burly than a true DH casing, yes, but it'd take a mean hit to cut it.

·
Perpetual Hack
2,193 Posts
Sorry, no DD weight, but I can contribute a full DH weight

27.5 x 2.5 @ 1280gm or about 25gm over spec.

·
Registered
18,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyone have actual weight on the DD? Maxxis site says it's only ~25 grams less than the DH (which I have), although Maxxis claimed vs actual is pretty far off for some of their tires.
You're probably not needing this info any more but in case anyone else is researching, I just weighed a new 29 x 2.5 Assegai DD and it came in at 1266g.

·
Registered
18,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just replaced my tires and have to say the DH casing is definety mor eburly than a DD. But compared to my EXO+, the DD is definitely more burly.

Still likening the ASsegai? I tried it up front, sticking with my DHF.
I'm loving the Assegai. I've tried it back-to-back against a DHF on my front wheel and the Assegai hooks up better in corners, at least in my local conditions. Both were Exo+ casing with MaxxTerra compound on my trail wheelset.

My go-to downhill tire has been the Assegai with DH casing but I just bought a DD casing that I'll use with a Cush Core insert. My theory is that the more supple DD casing will feel better with the Cush Core. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

·
Trail Ninja
6,297 Posts
I got one weighed at 1350g for 29 x 2.5WT DH with the plastic tag and zip-tie.

I installed it on the rear March '20 and have only got 560 miles recorded on Strava. Has grip beyond a Hellkat AGC RSR ICB, is burlier, and undoubtedly will last far longer with its wear pattern so far (Hellkat looked okay at 500 miles, but 1 bike park run undercut its knobs). I got used to it being a drag after maybe 300-400 miles, climbing up the same stuff I usually do, but my rides are generally shorter in distance and vert, but similar time and intensity. Been riding less during the pandemic.

Probably saving a lot on brake wear and rim damage. I got lazy and let it get low, and when I put my pump back on it, it read well under 15 psi and I was riding np the way I usually do, just wish a bit of vagueness (not quite squirm, but more like wallow). Went DH since I busted a rim with a Schwalbe SG tire. SG tire didn't pinch on me like EXO and snakeskin do on tire bottom outs, but this SG was 2.8 and 1500g, but still easily bottomed out a lot, which I consider to be a trait of plus tires. Bike came with 2.8 Rekon+, which was EXO+ before they gave it a name (barely feels any more reinforced than EXO). Busted a front rim that was on, but the EXO+ tires didn't pinch either.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I'm loving the Assegai. I've tried it back-to-back against a DHF on my front wheel and the Assegai hooks up better in corners, at least in my local conditions. Both were Exo+ casing with MaxxTerra compound on my trail wheelset.

My go-to downhill tire has been the Assegai with DH casing but I just bought a DD casing that I'll use with a Cush Core insert. My theory is that the more supple DD casing will feel better with the Cush Core. I guess I'll find out soon enough.
I'm just not seeing / feeling it. Thought they slipped out, while the DHF just locked in. I'd trim the intermediate knobs off the Assegai

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.