Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned my ASR5c for two years and it's an amazing bike. Light, stiff, low, slack, aggressive trail bike.

The problem is I've caught the big wheeled bug. I bough a steel 29er HT (Cotic Solaris) six months after the Yeti for winter duties but also for local XC type riding, training, etc and to be honest, it's my go to bike.

So I started thinking about a successor to the ASR5c. Something that combines the attributes of both bikes. So naturally, with wanting to stick with Yeti I'm thinking about trying the SB95c.

Has anyone else made a similar move?

I'm a whisker over 6' and I'm aware that the TT is a little shorter. At present the large ASR5c (with 140mm forks) is 627mm TT and I run a 50mm stem with 750mm bars. The SB95c is 614mm (again with 140mm forks).

So on paper I'd need to run a 65mm stem to compensate. To be honest I'd considered ruling out the SB solely on TT but it's the reach I should be considering which I can't find measurements for on either bike to compare.

To be honest I'll only know by throwing a leg over one but wondered if anyone had had similar experiences and appreciate SB95C owners feedback. Especially if I'm in the right ball park when wanting a 29er version of the ASR5c.

As a comparison, I have spent a day riding a Stumpy FSR Expert Carbon Evo 29 and liked it. Although it's a big bike. It certainly didn't feel like the lithe trail bike the ASR5c is.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I rode an ASR5 alu/carbon rear for the past year, size XL 140 fork I absolutely loved that bike, never thought I would get rid of it. But I sold it last fall and now I ride an 95c 140 fork and I have no regrets. Going carbon made a big difference for me between the bikes but I feel just as fast on descents and it climbs much better than my asr5 did. My 2 cents

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mtnbkr29r. I presume you went for an XL SB95c? How do you find the setup and geo? Is the TT noticeably shorter on the SB95c than the ASR5? Do you run a longer stem?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I made the switch as well 5c--> Sb95a.

All cockpit components made the swap without any fit issues whatsoever. I ran/run a 150mm fork on both bikes.
I loved my 26er, and the 95 flat out rips everything too.
Get it, you'll fit fine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I agree^ and yes xl 95c frame, while the 95 may feel a slight bit shorter on the TT, I expected that and I went with a 20mm longer stem (70mm with 780bar) feels fine to me, but I'm not very picky and I love riding this bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts