Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am planning on getting new set of wheels for my 7 and looking at the Hope Pro 2 Hubs with a Mavic 819 Rim. I wanted to hear other opinions and see what other 7 riders are using before I am actually committing. I am currently riding with the Crossline but the rear hub seems to need constant adjustment and I am just growing tired of it. My budget is about $500 and it seems like the Hope + 819 are the best option out there, Thanks.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I ran Hope Pro 2 with Mavic 819 on my 575. Great thing about them is with the hub conversions I was able to use them on my new 7.

Got them at Chain Reaction cycles. At the time they had the best price with the exchange rate the way it was. I haven't compared recently to see but I suspect they'll be pretty competitive with other places. After about 600 miles I've never had to have them trued. Really solid wheel build that can be used with any bike.

I'm running 2.35 Maxxis tires and all is good so far. If your wanting to run 2.4's then the 819 rims are going to round off the tread pattern. I ran 2.4 Conti Mountain Kings and they were fine, but the 2.35 Nevegals, which run large, were obvisouly rounded off. I never noticed it when riding, but then again I never did back to back runs with different wheels to tell a difference.

I'd strongly recommend them. Not the lightest or flashiest, but solid and very versatile.

·
Ka-coo-ka-cha!
551 Posts
Disco Stu said:
I would ditch the 819's and get Stan's Flows. I've had both rims---Stan's are much lighter, stronger and you can mount wider tires on them. Tubeless works just as good as a UST rim like 819.
Except they don't burp like the 819s.

I ran 819s on a 575 to start and was always losing air. Plus the Mavic valve stems are so short getting a pump on them consistently is a huge PITA. Go Stan's. I too run Flow's with Hope Pro IIs on a 7 and have been very happy. However, if you have the scratch I'd consider a tougher rear hub. Just this last year the hub axle (135x12 conv) sheared right where there is no support between the hub body and the free hub; and only after a season on the 7 (CO, Utah, BC inc. Whister DH...to be fair). This makes some sense since only a spacer exists there with bearings on either side. However, Hope USA sent me a new axle for free...after asking if I used a maxle-lite. Apparently the reduced diameter of that axle at its center caused some issues. Just search the interwebs for those nuggets...

·
EDR
10,421 Posts
Except they don't burp like the 819s.

I ran 819s on a 575 to start and was always losing air. Plus the Mavic valve stems are so short getting a pump on them consistently is a huge PITA.
Interesting take. Too short valve stems? Burping? I've got to admit yours is the first post I've seen with these complaints with 819's.

OP: IMO 819's with Hope hubs built by a competent wheel builder are damn near bomb-proof, and if UST is what you want it's a great choice. I've been beating the heck out of several sets since '05. They take a beating over the desert SW chunk, the ledgy, pinch flat begging step-ups, drops of several feet to flat and a lot of general hack and have never let me down. I've always fitted them with 2.2 to 2.5 tires without issue (I do wish they made a 821 :madman: ) I have no experience with Flows but if the ID is wider than the 819's and you want to run big tires all the time then they might be a better option. FWIW I run a 2.5 High Roller on the rear of my 819 and it's fine, but that tire is more like a 2.35.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have not heard of burping problems with 819's. Ran them for 4 years no issue. The mavic valve stems do indeed suck but you could use stan's valve stems or make your own from old tubes.

The issue for me with 819's is the width and weight. Mavic claims 450 grams for the rim but you have to run nipple adapters which brings the weight up to mid 500 grams. Stans run at 470 grams. Doesn't seem like a whole lot but this is rotational weight---it makes a difference.

And about the width, you can run wider tires and the same tire will have a wider footprint on the flow. See the review here:
http://mountain.bike198.com/notubescom-ztr-flow-rim-review/

And as far as being bomb proof, I'd say the flows are even more bombproof than the 819's. I've run both rims here in rocky Austin, TX where it is not stop ledges and rocks, depending on where you ride. I dinged my 819's several times but have not yet dinged my flows on my 7---this is after 2 years of riding 5 times a week and trips to moab, fruita, st george, gooseberry. I've even run them on some downhill parks including Angelfire, telluride and Brian Head. Some downhill racers run flows because they are so light and strong.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
decisions decisions...I must say by now I am leaning towards the Stan's even though i don't see myself running anything wider then 2.4 i guss it will come down to what i can get a better deal on...
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Only had a little bit of air loss on my 819's when I've run them with no sealant, Otherwise they hold air great with no burping. But it is possible to run UST tubeless with no sealant on the 819, no so with the Stans Flow.

Which ever rim you run, use a measure of caution using Stan's Sealant with your tires. There's known interactions with certain kinds of tires. Never had any problems with Continental, but my Kenda Nevegals separated in very short period of time. I put off running sealant with my Maxxis Highrollers, and just added it the other day, so I'll see how they do long term.

·
Registered
72 Posts
819 is fro XC not AM

I have the 575 08, the original setup was 819 on Hadley, for AM riding I would choose different. Now I have the same hubs but with Velocity Blunt which is 23mm and not 19mm like the 819. there is a very big difference between the two rims in terms of the feeling. I vote for the Blunt or the Stan's Flow... or if you want UST, go for the Mavic 823.

:thumbsup:

odin said:
Hi everyone, I am planning on getting new set of wheels for my 7 and looking at the Hope Pro 2 Hubs with a Mavic 819 Rim. I wanted to hear other opinions and see what other 7 riders are using before I am actually committing. I am currently riding with the Crossline but the rear hub seems to need constant adjustment and I am just growing tired of it. My budget is about $500 and it seems like the Hope + 819 are the best option out there, Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got a set of Crossmax SX's off Chainreaction for £360. Brilliant Wheels, light strong, and tubless is a breeze.

My preference would be for 819's over Stan's. I've only had bad experience with Stans and I wouldn't want to repeat it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The 819's might not be the lightest, but I really dont do any pure XC riding. More a lighter version of AM, with more climbing thrown in. On the descents, I am not as brutal on the wheels as i would be with something more bomb proof. Really appreciate the balance of lighter weight and strength.
Use the 823's for the chunkier AM/FR terrain of South Mountain in Phoenix. Depends on the variety of terrain that you ride. May not be able to find one wheel/rim that does all to the level you are looking for. but with that said, since i typically ride in the more technical rocky terrain, I find the stiffness of the 823's are what I ride most, even though I pay for the weight on the climbs.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
bpnic said:
Again, the only headset that will work is a standard press-in cup headset.
Maybe this link can help:
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/headset-standards

To keep this thread on track, perhaps you should post a new topic asking about ASR 7 headsets as you find them.

Here's a couple:
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/HS265A03-Cane+Creek+S3xxii+Tapered+Headset.aspx
http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?Item=100036538

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.