Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I currently ride a trek fuel ex 8 but I am looking at buying a 7 and am looking for some advice. I live at a colorado ski area so I mostly ride here, but I also do alot of desert riding in the spring and fall. I do not do alot of lift access riding because I ride after work when the gondola in closed. I also prefer to "earn my turns" and enjoy uphill and well as downhill. I have just started riding some much more aggressive trails with gap and table top jumps and have been feeling like I could benifit from a bike with more suspention travel. My concern is that the 7 will have more travel then I realy need or be hard to ride uphill. I will have to sell my ex8 to afford the 7 so I am also worried that it will not be as fun for days were I ride more flowy smooth single track trails. Any advice is welcome.
Thanks in advance.:thumbsup:

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
I am constantly blown away by how well the 7 climbs, better than the 575 in my experience. It really just sticks to the ground. And when you turn it back around, it really comes into it. If you can test ride one, it would be your best bet as some claim that it does not fit them well. At 6' the large suits me just fine, and I absolutely love the thing.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
It is true that the ASR7 climbs a lot better than you would think. We have a demo at Go-ride.com that gets ridden a good bit and pretty much sells a bike each time it goes out. However, It's a pretty big jump from 120mm travel bike (Trek EX8) to 180mm bike. What about a 575? That splits the difference very well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its good to hear the positive feedback on the 7. I have a 2009 ex 8 so the travel is 130mm,not 120mm. They changed it for the 2010 model year. I have no idea why they steped it back 10mm. Over all it was probley not a good call on treks part. Thats less then an inch diffrent from the 575 so I wonder if the change would really be worth the expense. The good news is there is a Yeti demo here today!!! I am going to demo a seven on my lunch break. I will go for a quick rip on a trail I ride alot and see how it feels. I will report back.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Hairshirt Rider
1,875 Posts
I demoed a lot of bikes in the 6/7 inch category last year. The 7 was top 2. It does climb very well considering the travel but definitely needed the travel adjustable fork to make some of the steep and techy climbs manageable. The 7 will climb slower than on your current bike.

Too much bike? You might find that moving up to a bike like this will open some terrain for you.

I ended up on a 575. I could have gone either way but got a smoking deal on the 575 frame.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quick question. I have not gotten out to the demo tent yet, but will in the next few hours. I hear they may have a used demo 7 for sale. Does anybody have any greater wisdom on how much a used demo should go for. I hear its only been a demo for a few weeks.

·
Ka-coo-ka-cha!
551 Posts
bronx said:
Quick question. I have not gotten out to the demo tent yet, but will in the next few hours. I hear they may have a used demo 7 for sale. Does anybody have any greater wisdom on how much a used demo should go for. I hear its only been a demo for a few weeks.
I bought one off Yeti's demo fleet from Ute Cycles in Aspen, CO for 2600...but it depends on condition. If it's immaculate, expect to pay near full price. A few dents and dings...I'd start much lower. Mine hand some nicks and dings, but no dents or scratches. And no matter what, the bike should be mechanically perfect. Make sure everything works first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts