Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
jddist
Joined
·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there running a Hope Pro 2 rear on their 7, and if so have you had an issue with the Hub's axle breaking? This happened to me, and after researching it I noticed that there are a number of others, not ASR 7 owners, posting same problem. Most were when using a Maxle Lite axle, which appears to cause problems to a number of different 12mil axle/hubs out there due to it not being a same diameter the entire length. They all appear to break right at where the free-hub bearing meets the hub bearing, just like mine did. I am hoping this was a one time problem for me, but won't be surprised when the new axle Hope sent me snaps in a month. BTW, Hope customer service was great, sent me a new axle, no problems.
 

·
Ka-coo-ka-cha!
Joined
·
551 Posts
istvisinet said:
Anyone out there running a Hope Pro 2 rear on their 7, and if so have you had an issue with the Hub's axle breaking? This happened to me, and after researching it I noticed that there are a number of others, not ASR 7 owners, posting same problem. Most were when using a Maxle Lite axle, which appears to cause problems to a number of different 12mil axle/hubs out there due to it not being a same diameter the entire length. They all appear to break right at where the free-hub bearing meets the hub bearing, just like mine did. I am hoping this was a one time problem for me, but won't be surprised when the new axle Hope sent me snaps in a month. BTW, Hope customer service was great, sent me a new axle, no problems.
The same happened to me, and if I understand you correct exactly where the spacer is between the hub body and the free hub. Hope also sent me a new axle at no charge. This is disappointing, but not without reasoning. It just so happens that there is nothing supporting the axle there, so naturally it would break there, if anywhere.

I don't know how long the axle was broken, but the 7 kept riding along. I only found that there was a break when I removed the wheel.

Did you convert your hubs from QR or did you buy them 135x12? How heavy are you? What type of riding? Bike parks? Thanks...
 

·
jddist
Joined
·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, same exact thing. I also didn't know until I took the wheel off and the free-hub with the cassette still attached just fell to the floor. Took me a minute to figure out what had happened. Felt like I was in the twilight zone. I am 205 with gear mostly ride fast rocky tech Arizona trails with some occasional urban assault stuff with various drops. No bike parks or dirt jumps. I converted it from QR. Guy at Hope said it is the pedal force that is what causes it to break and not drops and such which makes sense to me, especially since I do a lot of steep granny gear climbing stuff on every ride that puts a ton of stress on the drive train. I don't think it is due to the yeti axle being flexed or too thin. The yeti axle is pretty stout and darn close to being a perfect fit.

How long have you been riding the new axle? What kind of riding are you doing and how much do you weigh?
 

·
jddist
Joined
·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paperplane said:
Any pics of this? I've been running the HOpe Pro 2's for a full year with no problems on my 7. Are you talking about the 10mm axle that comes supplied with the 7?
I didn't take any picts but did see some from others on the net by searching "hope pro 2 broken axle". It is not the actual 12mm axle from yeti but the axle of the hub itself. Here is a link to one ( http://www.bikeman.com/HU1759.html )
How much do you weigh and what type of riding do you do?
 

·
Ka-coo-ka-cha!
Joined
·
551 Posts
istvisinet said:
How long have you been riding the new axle? What kind of riding are you doing and how much do you weigh?
I go 200 full kit and have rode my 7 on everything from all day XC rides to Whistler DH.

Funny, the way you describe how your freewheel just fell on the floor made me see what happened to me all over again, too.

When I contacted Hope USA, I was not told that torsional loading of the axle was the likely cause, but if it is, my move to 10 speed should reduce that load a bit as 24-36 is a slightly less a short 1st gear than 22-34. In gear inches, that is 17.3 to 16.8 respectively, meaning that I go farther in 24-36 and am thus in a "higher" gear. This means less torque on the drive axle, too. So...I guess I'll stick with the Hope for now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,348 Posts
Hope Pro2 hubs don't like the stepped down center on the Maxle Lite axles. The stock Yeti 7 axle should be fine with a Pro2 hub. I've seen this same problem on other bikes with stepped down center axles.

Maxle Lite
 

·
jddist
Joined
·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hope Pro2 hubs don't like the stepped down center on the Maxle Lite axles. The stock Yeti 7 axle should be fine with a Pro2 hub. I've seen this same problem on other bikes with stepped down center axles.

Maxle Lite
That is what I saw also, and is why I wanted to check with the tribe to see if anyone else had the problem with the standard Yeti 7 axle which is not stepped down in size. Looks like I am not the only one. I will have to see how long the new axle holds up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
istvisinet said:
I didn't take any picts but did see some from others on the net by searching "hope pro 2 broken axle". It is not the actual 12mm axle from yeti but the axle of the hub itself. Here is a link to one ( https://www.bikeman.com/HU1759.html )
How much do you weigh and what type of riding do you do?
I weigh 95 kg and I do this kind of riding.



And i've just got the stock Yeti Axle. I switched those wheels over to my 2011 575 and the Hope axle was fine.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top