Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello riders,

Since 2007, i own a SC Heckler that some reader know here (presentation here). I love my bike but after 3 years i just want to change for changing :)

So i'm looking for something close to my Heckler but with more DH and Freeride accent for jumps and which will be also able to pedal and train on XC trail (30-40-50 km).

I'm in the same dilemne than some other riders considering these models :
- Intense Uzzi Vp
- Yeti Seven
- Santa Cruz Nomad

This last month i intensly took information about the 2 first model because i was thinking that taking a Nomad and changing bike for only 0,4 Inches it was ridiculous (Heckler <=> Nomad).

Now i'm reconsidering my choice. Nomad still a good change and by the way all my peripherical will suit on it (2 shocks, fork, seatpost, ...).

So i want to gather now informations about the Nomad i find specially what is the différence between a heckler with a 36 and coil configuration and a nomad with a coil and 36.

The new model have the chainstay shorter so i think that the bike is more funny to ride (like the heckler very funny bike). But they also writed that the begininng of the suspension was firmer where the back whell of the Heckler stick on the trail so sensitive it 's with a coil.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i found some answers to my questions in past posts.

Hitek => i know that i have a great bike, but i search something a little more freeride friendly which will pedal also. My Heckler have its limits on DH stoned section where i'm well shaked. Other qualities of the Heckler are perfect, that's why i choose again a SC bike to find again a great frame, versatile, strong, which jumps great, sharp cornering, ...

Heckler give me a lot of pleasure, time to let its place to his brother ;)

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Burak,
I sent you a PM with some info - let me know if you don't get it. I like my Nomad quite a bit better than the Heckler now. At first I didn't, but once I went with the DHX-air, which I feel the new Nomad is better suited to, it was very, very nice. Plus Santa Cruz has been very helpful with bearings, etc when they blow out.

·
Learning to Fly
156 Posts
I recently went from a XL 07 Heckler to a L 09 Nomad. I'm very very happy.

I swapped all my parts from the Heckler (DHX Coil, 36 etc...). Only had to get a new headset, chain guide and a slightly softer spring for the DHX. I got a Cane Creed headset that is in external lower cup and internal upper so the bike is a slack as possible while keeping the bars nice and low.

At first the Nomad was a little strange feeling but I quickly got used to it and then started loving it. The geometry is really what makes it for me. The frame is more low and long, like a mini DH bike where the Heckler was really tall in the front with the 36. I feel balanced and on top of the Nomad. On the Heckler I always kinda felt off the back. I never thought brake jack was such a big deal but the first time I took the Nomad over a set of breaking bumps it was amazingly better. I worried that it wouldn't have the same single pivot pop off jumps but totally not the case. It's a great jumper. And yes it's still quite climbable.

I think you would be really happy with a Nomad. And if you don't like it for some reason it will be really easy to sell the frame and move on.

Good luck!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Burak, I am thinking of doing exactly the same thing. I have currently got a heckler with a Fox 36 float dropped to 140mm and and a bit of a burly build with a chain device and the bike is amazing and handles so well. But there is something about the Nomad that makes me want one. I really like single pivot bikes but i had a go on a bulr LT and the suspension did fell better.
The only thing that i would want to make sure of before I swaped the Heckler for the Nomad woul to make sure that the Nomad would be as fun to ride as the Heckler. I have got my Heckler set up with a really low front end and and it has really improved the handling, the Head tube on the Nomad looks bigger and I would have to run the forks at 160mm and I have seen some nomad with really tall front ends. So I hope that if I was to run internal reducer cups this would make it more acceptable.
I am Very interested to now what you decide and how you get on

PeachesN'Cream:
Would you say that the Nomad is just as fun to ride DH then as compared to the heckler

Cheers
Tom

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi razzer,
i'm analizing as well the size of the Nomad. I'm 1m 72 cm tall (5 feet 7,8 inches)
The top tube in medium size is 26 mm longer than Heckler in medium size.
I can reduce that difference by getting a 40 mm insted of current 50 mm that will drop to 16 mm longuer than the Heckler in M with a 50 mm stem.

By the way i thought also about a Small size, then i'll have to run a 70 mm stem.
This will result a different way to ride the bike because more weight of the body on the front wheel. And i 'm afraid to have a long seatpost also.

Best is to try before getting one. I have to explorer my entourage to find one

·
Registered
117 Posts
Burak said:
Hi razzer,
i'm analizing as well the size of the Nomad. I'm 1m 72 cm tall (5 feet 7,8 inches)
The top tube in medium size is 26 mm longer than Heckler in medium size.
I can reduce that difference by getting a 40 mm insted of current 50 mm that will drop to 16 mm longuer than the Heckler in M with a 50 mm stem.

By the way i thought also about a Small size, then i'll have to run a 70 mm stem.
This will result a different way to ride the bike because more weight of the body on the front wheel. And i 'm afraid to have a long seatpost also.

Best is to try before getting one. I have to explorer my entourage to find one
I am thinking about going from a medium Heckler to a large Nomad. I am 6ft and I have got my heckler set up with a Thomson lay back post and 70mm stem but it does feel right how it is set up. But I was thinking With a large nomad I could run a in line post where I would probably be able to get the seat lower than on the heckler and a 50 or 60mm stem the large nomad has also go a lower stand over hight than the medium heckler.
I think it will be a defiantly try before you buy.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Razzer said:
I am thinking about going from a medium Heckler to a large Nomad. I am 6ft and I have got my heckler set up with a Thomson lay back post and 70mm stem but it does feel right how it is set up. But I was thinking With a large nomad I could run a in line post where I would probably be able to get the seat lower than on the heckler and a 50 or 60mm stem the large nomad has also go a lower stand over hight than the medium heckler.
I think it will be a defiantly try before you buy.
Large Nomad for sure. I'm also 6' and thinking of going with a Nomad. The med will just be cramped.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I used to ride a v.5 Heckler with 160 Talas and DHXCoil, mainly XT/X.9 components and DT5.1/ChrisKing wheelset, so all in all in was a pretty good build.

I have sold the Heckler and now I'm on a v.2 Nomad with 160 Van and my old DHXCoil, mainly XT/XTR components and DT EX1750 wheelset, so again a nice build.

I also ride rough rocky XC trail (25km on a given day) and also DH (not lift assisted).

I'm about 155lb and 5'8.3" and I'm on a size medium.

The biggest difference between the two bikes is Geometry. The Heckler was faster and more comfortable on the XC and uphills, the Nomad is faster and more confidence inspiring on the DH's. For me, it's as simple as that!

The Nomad frame is a bit heavier than the Heckler and now I run the Van (=coil) upfront so despite the rest lighter components I put on the Nomad (some XTR) and the EX1750 wheelset, the Nomad feels and pedals heavier than my Heckler.

When I'm on the rough XC trails I miss the accelaration, speed and comfortable position I had on the Heckler. I used to really ''step on the gas'' with that bike. On the Nomad, I can be fast but not as fast and after 2-3 hours riding I can feel my knees complaining... maybe I'm getting old?!:rolleyes:

When I'm on the DH runs and doing some small jumps and drops then I think to myself how lucky I am for switching to the Nomad :D Going down I'm faster, more in control and feel I can do more...

So, it really depends on what you want to enjoy more... both bikes can climb, do XC, and descent exceptionally well.

If I were to do it all over again.... I'll probably end up on the Nomad again since the smile on my face going down the hill is bigger :D... but I seriously consider getting a second bike for my XC / training days.

Hope this helps.

Mike

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thx for you analysis. It's now clear. And of course i'm a little more on the freeride/enduro side than XC. XC i practice it around my home 1x a week starting from my garage :)
I keep XC run for training, so i don't need a performance bike, pedaling it's enought for me ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.