Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have problem with my stem high, since I change from suspension fork to rigid fork, usually when I use suspension fork 100mm I only need 3 spacer @3mm high for each spacer, the problem starts when I change to rigid fork, using 3 spacer on rigid fork is not enough I finding myself not comfort and easily tired because the handlebar is too low, then I add 5 more spacer (@3mm high for each spacer) to higher the stem and works quite well indeed, but that makes me worries, is it okay to use that much spacer (total spacer are 8), can it makes the steerertube vulnerable and dangerous to ride ???

please help me, and give me some cheap solution

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,319 Posts
indra saya said:
I have problem with my stem high, since I change from suspension fork to rigid fork, usually when I use suspension fork 100mm I only need 3 spacer @3mm high for each spacer, the problem starts when I change to rigid fork, using 3 spacer on rigid fork is not enough I finding myself not comfort and easily tired because the handlebar is too low, then I add 5 more spacer (@3mm high for each spacer) to higher the stem and works quite well indeed, but that makes me worries, is it okay to use that much spacer (total spacer are 8), can it makes the steerertube vulnerable and dangerous to ride ???

please help me, and give me some cheap solution
You're okay so long as your stem has adequate steerer tube to clamp onto -- the top of the steerer shouldn't be more than about 3-4mm below the top of the stem where the top cap will sit. The bolted section of the stem needs to be completely around the steerer tube -- no clamping the air above the steerer.

Or you could purchase a stem with more rise.

Either handlebar / stem (oversize or non) will work fine.

--sParty

·
one chain loop
2,360 Posts
Sparty is right, you can always fix the comfort with different stem combos and bars.

One question though is, is your rigid fork suspension corrected for 100mm? Not all rigid forks are created equal. Cockpit setup is easy to fix but if you are using the wrong fork, it will greatly affect your handling.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ fishcreek : My suspension fork I use to used is 100mm height, the rigid fork I'm not sure how high, but is obvious lower than 100mm, that's why I need to add some additional spacer

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,424 Posts
Woo boy. Um, I'll also chip in and say your stack height is fine. I'd also say that oversized clamp versus a normal clamp is a subtle difference that is going to greatly depend on the handlebar you buy and you and leave it at that.

Fishcreek brings up an excellent point. Rigid forks are corrected for suspension travel and there are ways to make sure your bike handles just like you liked it handling with the suspension fork. But you already have a rigid fork, so have at and if it handles like a flying **** it will be time to start talking axle to crown length.

·
one chain loop
2,360 Posts
indra saya said:
@ fishcreek : My suspension fork I use to used is 100mm height, the rigid fork I'm not sure how high, but is obvious lower than 100mm, that's why I need to add some additional spacer
adding spacer will only fix your comfortable riding position. like umarth said, if it is the wrong a2c measurement, the bike will handle like poo, steepen your headtube angle and forget riding downhill with it.

any pictures of your bike? what kind of fork is it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alloy rigid fork, the cheap one with Mosso brand ("triple butted alloy" I don't know what it means anyway) I think it from China, its very light about 650gr but I still don't know the strength

I'm in Indonesia anyway

·
one chain loop
2,360 Posts
how cheap is cheap? if you can get a steel fork like surly instigator, it is suspension corrected for 100 mils. then it would be more trail worthy and less harsh than the aluminum fork you have.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.