Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

141 - 160 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a Felt Nine 80.

I'd really like to put a narrow-wide chain ring on and ditch the front derailleur. It still has the stock Suntour XCT crankset. Would it be compatible with this crankset?

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK, so I have a line on an Edict Pro Full Carbon frame (26er, large), but some grave concerns about whether I'd kill it on my rooty, rocky southern Maine trails. I've always ridden XC hardtails (aluminum) and never really broken anything except a CARBON seatpost. No significant drops, but just constant punishing pounding. I really should ride a trail bike, but I love the weight and whippiness of XC. I'm about 168 lbs. My front shock's a 100mm REBA. Would I be pushing this frame too hard?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I tried to get an answer directly from Felt and have not even received an automated reply. I was wondering what are the differences between the Edict Nine, Virtue Nine and the Compulsion series. I do trail riding and all those bikes seem similar enough to me so which line would be the right one for me?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Depends on the terrain that you ride most. The Compulsion is a 26" wheel with a lot of travel. Enduro style bike. Fast going down, not so fast going up.

the Edict 9 and Virtue 9 are obviously 29" wheels. Edict is an XC bike with 100mm of travel and the Virtue is a trail/all mtn bike with around 130/140mm travel I think.

If you plan on racing xc, get an Edict. If you want a bike that can handle most anything, get the Virtue. I ride an Edict 9, and its capable of handling most trails. If I didn't race xc, I'd go with the Virtue for the extra travel.

hope that helps.
Where do you live/ride?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Thanks, that helps. I ride at Big Creek in Roswell GA. Sounds like the Virtue might be the way to go. I don't plan on racing. I'm currently riding a 2000 Cannondale SuperV700SX. I was thinking of trading in for newer technology.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Dave -

Thought I'd switch to the appropriate forum. I had asked about the 2015 Nine 50 release, and you gave me the very unfortunate news that it would not be available in the US. So I'm wondering - would my felt dealer be able to order that bike from the UK for me? It was love at first sight!

Thanks again for your time -

Kim

·
Registered
166 Posts
hi I am looking into the felt "nine 5" carbon I have a two questions

1. what is new for 2015 in the bike.
2. can this frame handle some jumps? not freeriding stuff but lets say singletrack stuff?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sizing question regarding 2013 Felt Edict nine 50. I purchased a new 2013 Felt Edict nine 50 in the size medium (18"). When I compare the geometry measurements off of the Felt website to my bike, they do not match. So my question is, how is the horizontal top tube measured? The top tube measurement is way off?
I am 5'10" with a 30" inseam. The Felt site puts me at a medium or large.
I assume most of the measurements are in mm?
It may just be me, but the bike feels way to small from the seat to handlebars.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sizing question regarding 2013 Felt Edict nine 50. I purchased a new 2013 Felt Edict nine 50 in the size medium (18"). When I compare the geometry measurements off of the Felt website to my bike, they do not match. So my question is, how is the horizontal top tube measured? The top tube measurement is way off?
I am 5'10" with a 30" inseam. The Felt site puts me at a medium or large.
I assume most of the measurements are in mm?
It may just be me, but the bike feels way to small from the seat to handlebars.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
I believe the measurement is taken horizontally. So you need to measure from the center of the headtube to the center of the seatpost in a horizontal (to the ground) line.

As for size. I have a 2011 Felt Edict with 26" wheels in medium. When I looked at the sizes for the 29ers I found that I would need to size up to a Large. I'm also 5'10". While I did not buy a 29er yet, I did attend a Felt demo day and confirmed that the Medium felt too cramped.

The best way to compare sizes is to compare the reach and stack measurements. If you do this you will see the old 26er Edict in Medium is comparable to the 29er in Large.

Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nine 5 Carbon Frame Small Parts

My son's NICA race machine is a 2014 Nine 5 Carbon. He recently changed his brakes and in the process broke a couple of the hose clips along the top tube and seat stay. I think they get brittle in the AZ sun. He is using tape and zip ties to secure the rear brake hose to the frame.

At one point the Felt website showed a "Felt Frame Small Parts Kit (Carbon Nine Series)." Working with the local shop and direct email to Felt has not moved us closer to a solution. Where can we find these parts? Is there another (clean) way to secure the hose to the Nine Carbon?

Brake lines secure differently to my 2014 Edict Nine 3.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a tech question regarding your Felt? Not sure if a certain part will be compatible? Just have a general question about your bike or Felt?

Here's your chance to get answers from the source! Ask away!
I purchased my Felt Nine Sport around two years ago and really enjoy the experience. Well, most of it anyway. I'm looking for a solution to the terrible frame vibration that occurs when I use my rear brake. Frankly, the sound caused by the frame vibration is embarrassing. I find myself using my front brake in instances where I probably shouldn’t be using it. If Felt or anyone else has found a solution to the problem please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello,
I was curious as to whether or not the new Double Double fatbike could be purchased as a frameset only? Id like to build a fatbike with the Double Double 30 frame and the Bluto RL fork.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently purchased a 2015 Virtue 3 and I love the bike. Thanks for a great product. I do have a question though. I am getting some pretty serious cable rub under the bottom bracket. It's starting to wear through the carbon pretty badly. I've followed my dealers recommendation of putting the suggested tape in between the cables and the carbon but is there a way to prevent this rub as a whole?

Thanks in advance.

·
feltbicycles.com
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
I recently purchased a 2015 Virtue 3 and I love the bike. Thanks for a great product. I do have a question though. I am getting some pretty serious cable rub under the bottom bracket. It's starting to wear through the carbon pretty badly. I've followed my dealers recommendation of putting the suggested tape in between the cables and the carbon but is there a way to prevent this rub as a whole?

Thanks in advance.
I use a piece of clear 1.5mm mylar tape wherever I have cable rub on my frames. You may have to replace it once a year due to wear, but it does a great job of protecting the frame.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have just ordered a felt edict 2 2016 at my Danish felt dealer. The sad thing is that he dosen't know it Will arrive? I know that he gets the bikes from Germany. Can you tell me when they start shipping the new edict bikes to Europe?
Kind regards.
Thomas Butler. Denmark

·
feltbicycles.com
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
I have just ordered a felt edict 2 2016 at my Danish felt dealer. The sad thing is that he dosen't know it Will arrive? I know that he gets the bikes from Germany. Can you tell me when they start shipping the new edict bikes to Europe?
Kind regards.
Thomas Butler. Denmark
Unfortunately we do not stock the Edict 2 in the US, and I am unsure of EU delivery dates. I will see what I can find out.

141 - 160 of 179 Posts