Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found another thread covering the AiRotor but rather than hijack that older thread, I decided to make this one. Anyway, I currently run the Marta SL Rotors with the Marta SL Magnesium brakes and am happy in general with the performance although the rotors are, as you all know, relatively heavy (around 100 grams per 160 mm rotor) when compared to those of other manufacturers. I have been intrigued by the AiRotors for months now and read reviews on mtbr.com and mbaction.com. I am impressed but am interested in others' opinions.

How is the power and modulation compared to the Marta SL rotors? How about pad wear compared to the Marta SL's. I could save about 40 grams by switching but am interested in hearing some feedback before deciding.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I switched to ashimas on my Marta SL with stock rotors.
The brake performance is amazing considering the weight, BUT I am also running organic koolstop pads, which everybody says will get eaten by the ashimas, but I put performance first.

Considering what they cost, I'd snatch a pair off ebay and try them, if you like them, keep them and sell your stock rotors.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. Considering I can get them for something like $20 a rotor (or maybe even less if I wait...), I might end up going for it. I do kind of wonder how fast the pads will wear though. Some reviews talk about 'eating organic pads for lunch' or something like that. While they might wear the pads faster than other rotors but I'll bet it's not nearly as bad as certain reviewers would have you believe.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm running the Ashima AiRotors (160/140) with Kool Stop sintered pads on Formula R1 brakes.

The Formula R1 brakes have basically no tolerance for even slightly bent rotors, so I'd rather run something cheap (and good) like the Ashimas. I've already bent R1 two-piece and one piece rotors. They seem really easy to bend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.