Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a few searches and kept getting further down the rabbit hole. Figured I would just pose a few questions in search of some specific help.

Planning a small event in Pisgah area and need some help with camping spots for larger groups. Guessing 20 to 50 people. Even a decent field that is close to (even short driving ok) some decent trails. I have only been to the area once and Bent Creek area was a blast, Balck mtn, Avery, Dupont. all fun.

This will be mid June say the 18th (friday) through the 20th (sunday)

1. If you were trying to plans trail and road rides, what are ones that are "must do" in the area?

2. Anyone have goodluck with hotels or group rates?

3. Along with places that are great, what should we avoid, camping and riding specific.

4. Any great local food spots you think would be good for BBQ and would be good to work with maybe on a catering type of gig.

I am sure I willcome up with more questions as this progresses, but any tips for the area would be greatly appreciated.

·
drunken pirate
1,414 Posts
Rent a group campsite. White Pines, Kuykendall and Cove Creek can all be rented through reserveusa. Wash Creek you can get directly from the forest service. You can ride Pisgah right from these sites (Kuykendall will require a long gravel spin to get to trails). For mtb trail routes search the forum or visit pisgahareasorba.org and check out the ride tab. A good road route is up and down hwy 276 to hwy 215 up and down 215 and then find your way back to where you started. It is a beautiful ride with some nice climbs and downhills. 80+ miles with little chance to resupply along the way so be prepared.

·
Registered
671 Posts
If you are considering a group camp (all are nice) then you need to get online and reserve ASAP - all weekends in the summer book many months in advance.

ReserveAmerica

I just looked and Cover Creek is already booked through the summer on weekends...

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Mr.President said:
Does anyone know about Deerfields?

Any experiences in camping sites?
Deerfields is awesome I've been to a couple music fests there. But I'm gonna guess that they are out of the price range for a group of 50. Those music fests are usually 2,000+. Also, I don't deerfields has direct access to trails and access in and out is not fantastic.

I expect all the group cmps will be booked for the summer. Except maybe white pines. Davidson River probably has plenty spaces open but you will need to get your people organized to start booking space now as they will be full by the summer. Bent Creek is also a good option and does not fill up as fast as Davidson. Look at the PAS site for some info on the various campgrounds.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can some one tell me camp sites near Bent Creek?

Is Lake Powhatan near it?

Looking to have about 20 people and the more open the better. I do appreciate the help!

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Lake Powhatan is inside Bent Creek. Camping there will give you direct access to the bent creek trails. The lake has a sandy beach and is great for post ride swiming.

I don't think they have any group spots. You will need to reserve several regular sites to accommodate 20 people.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I finally figured out how to use some of the search features with camp sites. I have a good idea now and some options. Thanks for the help everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts